The Dog Lovers Thread

Is it normal to feel sorry for your dog because he's not a human? I just think he'd have a better life as a human. Dogs are so dependent on humans for everything, and such dependence just can't be good for a creature on a psychological level. Also, humans have so much more freedom. And loads of other advantages.

Other than that, things are going well or at least getting better for us. Arlo is finally starting to chill a bit, and doesn't spend his entire waking existence on finding ways to destroy furniture or steal food.

Is it normal to feel sorry for your dog because he's not a human? I just think he'd have a better life as a human. Dogs are so dependent on humans for everything, and such dependence just can't be good for a creature on a psychological level. Also, humans have so much more freedom. And loads of other advantages.

Other than that, things are going well or at least getting better for us. Arlo is finally starting to chill a bit, and doesn't spend his entire waking existence on finding ways to destroy furniture or steal food.
Well, I don''t have a dog. so I probably don't know what I'm talking about, but if I get reincarnated I think I would like to come back as cute little dog.

I'm totally with you.

• Friendly
Reactions: Second Summer

I do think humans are generally well-off compared to just about any animal. We generally live longer- and once we get older, we understand situations more than non-humans do, and are almost always in a better position to act on our own behalf. That has always been something that bothered me when I had animals in my care: they were my ongoing responsibility, not a hobby that I could indulge in if I was in the mood, or set aside for a time if I got tired of it, picking it up later.

I don't know if I felt sorry for my animal companions, exactly; they had a reliable source of nourishment, shelter, and veterinary (medical) care, but the same can't always be said for wild animals. (Hell, the same can't always be said for humans!!!!) I DID regret one thing about that last item: I wished I could give them the understanding that, although vet visits weren't fun, they would have been at risk for life-shortening (and usually unpleasant) diseases otherwise. I wish I could have let them know how much I freaked out about getting injections as a child- but I was lucky to have them, instead of dying as a child (as so many children formerly did- and still do in some areas). I'd tell them I didn't enjoy my colonoscopies (3 and counting- I'm planning to have my fourth next year), but I gladly submit to them rather than die from colorectal cancer.

Also, some animal psychologists or behaviorists believe that animals generally live in the moment, not dwelling on the past or worrying about the future. I honestly don't know if this is true, even after having known, loved, and lived with a number of different animals (cats, dogs, rabbits, gerbils, gray squirrels, 1 hamster, a variety of fishes).

Also, some animal psychologists or behaviorists believe that animals generally live in the moment, not dwelling on the past or worrying about the future. I honestly don't know if this is true, even after having known, loved, and lived with a number of different animals (cats, dogs, rabbits, gerbils, gray squirrels, 1 hamster, a variety of fishes).
I think it's obvious that animals such as dogs and cats do not only live in the moment. Maybe they live more in the moment. But they definitely remember past experiences and this affects their expectations for the future. A cat or dog who has had bad experiences with humans will react differently e.g. to an approaching human than one who has had only good experiences.

I don't know if I felt sorry for my animal companions, exactly; they had a reliable source of nourishment, shelter, and veterinary (medical) care, but the same can't always be said for wild animals. (Hell, the same can't always be said for humans!!!!) I DID regret one thing about that last item: I wished I could give them the understanding that, although vet visits weren't fun, they would have been at risk for life-shortening (and usually unpleasant) diseases otherwise.
Yes! I too wish there was a way to talk to them to explain a couple of things!