The idea of "personal responsibility" and willpower

Yeah, in NZ we dont have quite as much junk food on offer as it sounds in America, but i have got to say that alcohol is EVERYWHERE... liquor stores, 2 alcohol aisles at the supermarket selling everything... lots of billboards advertising alcohol. I dont see it as a good thing either.

I think that a lot of it is the way society is set up to be inherently stressful, so people end up needing crutches to get through the day.

There is often much hand wringing about health and morality, but never any moves to make life and society less stressful, more accessible, cheap, better services....

better in general. This is because these large companies like to make money off us in whichever way they can.

That seems to be the case here in the States as well.

Reactions: Freesia
That is capitalism. It is failing because it does not put people, animals or ecology first, rather treats them as commodities to be made money off.

I didn't even know BB&B sold anything like that- I thought it was just housewares.

Anyway, it's important for someone to control themselves when they're in a supermarket (where most of what they sell is edible) if they have issues about eating something they feel they shouldn't. But they shouldn't have to deal with that when they just want to buy sheets or towels. I think it's crappy for a store to put things near the checkout, knowing that some customers will have difficulty resisting the temptation to buy something they don't need.

This was a central theme in the movie Fed Up that examines the diabetes epidemic in the US.

I think that there is definitely a parallel to alcohol and tobacco marketing. For example, as Freesia points out, it has been debated whether gas/petrol stations should sell liquor considering the hazards of drunk driving. And yet America prides itself as a culture of freedom, independence and individual responsibility. We have a hard time knowing where to draw the line.

I personally have no problem ignoring the candy and soda at the checkout stand while purchasing a computer at the electronics store, but when one of my children starts raising a stink about it, I kind of wish they would reconsider.

If there were vegan candy bars at the registers I would probably grab one the majority of the time, I did when I was a vegetarian. I'm overweight and I definitely shouldn't be eating so much sugar/chocolate, but I still like the convenience of having them at the front.

If you're going to remove junk food because of temptation, what about lottery tickets (or cigarettes, or alcohol as mentioned above, etc)? They're displayed at the counter of many stores as well, and there are people with gambling addictions. Should the quarter machines with candy and toys, and the children's rides directly outside the store be removed? Parents are always having to drag their screaming kids away from those. What about the beverage vending machines right in front of the store? Aren't those worse since you have to pass by on your way in and out of the store and they're filled with unhealthy sodas?
One of the supermarkets I occasionally shop at has a little kiosk in front of the registers that sells unhealthy slices of pizza dripping in cheese. You have to smell it the whole time you're waiting in line. Do you know how hard it is to ignore that? Or the greasy popcorn that you smell and pass by going into and out of the big box stores. And then there are the Girl Scouts who ambush you at the door with boxes of delicious vegan thin mints. Should they be banned?

I just don't see sterilizing the world because there are temptations. Removing candy from the registers is not going to change anything, the world is full of easily obtainable junk food. Early and continuing education on healthy eating, and resources for those having trouble doing so would be a bigger help.

If there were vegan candy bars at the registers I would probably grab one the majority of the time, I did when I was a vegetarian. I'm overweight and I definitely shouldn't be eating so much sugar/chocolate, but I still like the convenience of having them at the front.

If you're going to remove junk food because of temptation, what about lottery tickets (or cigarettes, or alcohol as mentioned above, etc)? They're displayed at the counter of many stores as well, and there are people with gambling addictions. Should the quarter machines with candy and toys, and the children's rides directly outside the store be removed? Parents are always having to drag their screaming kids away from those. What about the beverage vending machines right in front of the store? Aren't those worse since you have to pass by on your way in and out of the store and they're filled with unhealthy sodas?
One of the supermarkets I occasionally shop at has a little kiosk in front of the registers that sells unhealthy slices of pizza dripping in cheese. You have to smell it the whole time you're waiting in line. Do you know how hard it is to ignore that? Or the greasy popcorn that you smell and pass by going into and out of the big box stores. And then there are the Girl Scouts who ambush you at the door with boxes of delicious vegan thin mints. Should they be banned?

I just don't see sterilizing the world because there are temptations. Removing candy from the registers is not going to change anything, the world is full of easily obtainable junk food. Early and continuing education on healthy eating, and resources for those having trouble doing so would be a bigger help.

I agree and for those who really want junk food or sweets, they will find a way to buy them.

You two make very good points. As mentioned in the article I linked to, it's the Center for Science in the Public Interest, a health and nutrition watchdog group, that wants the candy displays removed from BB&B because of "temptation", saying all that candy in such a store is unnecessary. I used to support this group, but I think in recent years they've become overly alarmist. For example, this group wanted to ban Quorn products from the US because a handful of people said they got sick from eating them. Well, people get sick from all kinds of food products. Why was Quorn singled out? Perhaps because the main ingredient in those products is a fungus, which apparently makes some people nervous. I've eaten Quorn products and never got sick, and I'm a bit sensitive when it comes to certain foods.

You two make very good points. As mentioned in the article I linked to, it's the Center for Science in the Public Interest, a health and nutrition watchdog group, that wants the candy displays removed from BB&B because of "temptation", saying all that candy in such a store is unnecessary. I used to support this group, but I think in recent years they've become overly alarmist. For example, this group wanted to ban Quorn products from the US because a handful of people said they got sick from eating them. Well, people get sick from all kinds of food products. Why was Quorn singled out? Perhaps because the main ingredient in those products is a fungus, which apparently makes some people nervous. I've eaten Quorn products and never got sick, and I'm a bit sensitive when it comes to certain foods.

Exactly. It seems to scare people because Quorn is made from a fungus. Many foods are also made using fungi ; blue cheese, chocolate etc.

I absolutely love Quorn products and they have the tastiest and widest range of excellent food.

The Use of Fungi in the Production of Food Products

I have just looked up the Quorn UK site and apparently Carrefour's (main French hypermarket) is now selling some products.:)

Yes, I agree. I'm an adult and I can make my own choices.

I do most of my shopping online but if I'm out at a shop I often buy any vegan treats that I see to keep for later.

I do buy on impulse a lot when I'm out but it isn't always junk food, if I walk past a fresh fruit and veg stall I will often buy something from there. The most tempting thing for me is bread, if I smell fresh bread and I know it's vegan I nearly always buy some.:D

So, because there are other temptations in the stores, so we can't do anything with the candy at the checkout line?

Why not do both? Yes, the temptations at the registers are just one of many places where junk can be found, but reducing the number of such places is helping. Restricting access, even if we're not removing access completely, is actually helping.

So, because there are other temptations in the stores, so we can't do anything with the candy at the checkout line?

Why not do both? Yes, the temptations at the registers are just one of many places where junk can be found, but reducing the number of such places is helping. Restricting access, even if we're not removing access completely, is actually helping.

In the UK cigarettes are stored in closed cupboards but it still doesn't deter smokers to buy them. Moreover they have logos on the
boxes '' cigarettes kill'' etc and smokers will just tell you that they don't care.

If I owned a store, I wouldn't think it was fair to be told where I could and couldn't place things because some people wanted to avoid certain items. No one is required to go into places that carry things or have policies they disagree with. That's why I don't shop at Walmart or Kmart, or eat in restaurants that sell live lobsters.

In the UK cigarettes are stored in closed cupboards but it still doesn't deter smokers to buy them. Moreover they have logos on the
boxes '' cigarettes kill'' etc and smokers will just tell you that they don't care.
Sure, but how much worse would it be if they were available on the shelves next to regular items, and with the original packaging?

well I'm for the legalisation of cannabis....so maybe that could be on the shelves with the candy...?:)

I wouldn't use it myself as headache.

Also what bothers me about it is it is uncreative, mass produced junk food. Why not little handmade bags of fudge, old fashioned boiled sweets, taffy, turkish delight, handmade chocolate,... at least we will be eating more worthwhile sweets...

Reactions: KLS52 and Amy SF
Also what bothers me about it is it is uncreative, mass produced junk food. Why not little handmade bags of fudge, old fashioned boiled sweets, taffy, turkish delight, handmade chocolate,... at least we will be eating more worthwhile sweets...

The stores carry what they know will sell, i.e. name brand junk, to maximize profits. The chain stores do this more than the mom and pop stores, but the mom and pop stores want to make money, too. I think you'd have to visit a lot of stores to find those quirky, interesting, handmade, one of a kind items you listed.

Reactions: Freesia