Philosophy The possibility of an afterlife

Snowcone

Mandroid
Reaction score
When my pets are dying, I really want to believe in an afterlife...

Same here. It sucks to think that my best buddy Habbers is just non-existent now. This is one of the hardest parts of my atheism. It must be so much easier to believe in something that can make everything all better. :(

Frankly, if it turns out I'm wrong somehow, it'll be a tough choice between seeing Habbers again and ineffectually raging against the heavens.

Reactions: Tom L. and FortyTwo
When my pets are dying, I really want to believe in an afterlife...

Same here. It sucks to think that my best buddy Habbers is just non-existent now. This is one of the hardest parts of my atheism. It must be so much easier to believe in something that can make everything all better. :(

Frankly, if it turns out I'm wrong somehow, it'll be a tough choice between seeing Habbers again and ineffectually raging against the heavens.

Liked for agreement.

Sometimes I think it's nicer to know that I'm not deluding myself than it would be to convince myself that there's something more.

It's just when I see suffering, I hope there is an afterlife... especially for living beings who don't even get a fair chance at life.. like factory farmed animals..
It's just heart breaking. But I just don't believe in it. I can't.

I think people are too stuck in the idea of atoms, and that that's all we are made of. Maybe science fell in love with the atom idea, and can't get past it.

I sometimes look at animals, like the squirrel, and think about its afterlife. Like will it jump around trees for eternity looking for nuts?

I'm not sure. If it is happy doing that, I suppose it might.

I still hear the noise of a rabbit running in my living room sometimes, when no rabbits are out for playtime. I've convinced myself that it's the ghost of Nick, running his Bunny 500's through the house.

I guess it's probably just the noises a 60-year old house makes, but I'm going to keep thinking it's the ghost of Nick.

Also, he died on a Friday night and now I hate everything about Friday nights. :(

I still hear the noise of a rabbit running in my living room sometimes, when no rabbits are out for playtime. I've convinced myself that it's the ghost of Nick, running his Bunny 500's through the house.

I guess it's probably just the noises a 60-year old house makes, but I'm going to keep thinking it's the ghost of Nick.

Also, he died on a Friday night and now I hate everything about Friday nights. :(

:hug:

It's strange that I don't miss my pets more than I do currently.

I thought about them afterwards, but I never really felt sad.

Oddly enough, I tend to feel that way about dead family members, but my animal buddies always bring tears to my eyes.

My son was like that about our dog that just passed away, but when I lost it about her nose prints on the glass door he got a little teary. He was so good to her in her last months.

Oh here I am tearing up at work lol

I think people are too stuck in the idea of atoms, and that that's all we are made of. Maybe science fell in love with the atom idea, and can't get past it.

What?

Matter is composed of atoms. Nobody's stuck on the idea any more than they're stuck on anything else. It's just true, and it's one of the fundamental principles upon which practically every scientific field has been based for more than the past century.

I think I understand what you're getting at, though. You're implying that there's something more, like a spirit or soul or supernatural force behind life that can't be explained with mere 'atoms'. You're free to believe what you want, and I'd never try to convince someone who takes comfort in those ideas otherwise (unless they are in a position to harm the separation of church and state or are trying to use these arguments to perpetuate the oppression of people or animals) but here's what I think:
  • As of now, there is no scientific evidence for an afterlife, a soul, or anything of that sort. Remember that this doesn't mean it can't exist, but only that according to our current theories and laws, and most likely our future understanding of everything, its existence is very unlikely and completely undocumented by anything that isn't purely anecdotal. Personally I don't see how, biologically, something as complicated and unnecessary for survival as an eternal neural suspension network that catches the electrochemical signals of every living brain that has ever existed and stores them away, preserved, in some kind of totally undetectable and immortal world, could ever naturally arise, but I suppose a believer would say that it's God.
  • "Supernatural" is a bit of a misnomer. According to scientific principles, there is an order to the Universe, and everything, with enough time and experimentation, can be uncovered, or at least rationalized. Additionally, everything in existence obeys a set of natural laws which govern the Universe we live in, as dictated by the early conditions right after the Big Bang. So nothing supernatural, or beyond nature, can exist - only that which nature already consists of and we don't yet know about or understand fully.
  • The idea that everything is orderly, obeys a set of natural laws, and can be explained with material means is no less majestic to me, if not more majestic, than the hypothesis that some indecipherable force governs the Universe using conscious decisions.

I just see science as sort of self referencing.

I personally think that it isn't nature, and super nature, it's more like nature, and sub-nature.....this universe is sub-natural, that is predictable behaviour that are thought of as laws, are a more basic emergence from the higher form of existence.....in the so called supernatural realm thought and feelings trump everything, but we fell from that, and now what we see as the physical world tends to trump our needs.....we have to supply our own needs using the patterns of behaviour of our environment.

I'm not attacking science 42, I just really believe that it is not, and never will be the whole story.

About self referencing in science:

Sciences is about forming hypothesis and then doing experiments to validate or invalidate those hypothesis.
Then a scientist has the choice as what to believe, can all things be subject to scientific experimentation?
He/she doesn't have to believe this, but if they do then that's sort of self referencing, in that anything that can't be tested scientifically, is therefore invalid. And that doesn't seem logical...there is no reason to be sure that everything can be subject to scientific testing, it is simply a belief.
A self referencing belief, that they feel is backed up by the successes of science.

If I've explained that very well....I think I did better than I thought I would.:D I'll probably still confuse people.

Reactions: Tom L.
I just see science as sort of self referencing.

I personally think that it isn't nature, and super nature, it's more like nature, and sub-nature.....this universe is sub-natural, that is predictable behaviour that are thought of as laws, are a more basic emergence from the higher form of existence.....in the so called supernatural realm thought and feelings trump everything, but we fell from that, and now what we see as the physical world tends to trump our needs.....we have to supply our own needs using the patterns of behaviour of our environment.

I'm not attacking science 42, I just really believe that it is not, and never will be the whole story.

The thing that annoys me about this is that we understand that thoughts and feelings are processes fine-tuned by the brain after billions of years of evolution. There's nothing special or high-falutin' about the functions of life, and that includes thought and emotion. To science, the brain is essentially a supercomputer, and its processes are just as natural as the functions of the rest of the body.

About self referencing in science:

Sciences is about forming hypothesis and then doing experiments to validate or invalidate those hypothesis.
Then a scientist has the choice as what to believe, can all things be subject to scientific experimentation?
He/she doesn't have to believe this, but if they do then that's sort of self referencing, in that anything that can't be tested scientifically, is therefore invalid. And that doesn't seem logical...there is no reason to be sure that everything can be subject to scientific testing, it is simply a belief.
A self referencing belief, that they feel is backed up by the successes of science.

If I've explained that very well....I think I did better than I thought I would.:D I'll probably still confuse people.

Naturally science self-references. Old discoveries are used to help evaluate new discoveries. Sometimes they are examined more closely and overturned; the luminiferous aether, for example, is now known to be an unnecessary and false explanation for the mediation of light through the vacuum of space. If science didn't reference and examine itself, discovery would be halted. That's the whole diminishing returns principle I was talking about earlier. Once you make a discovery, and understand another natural law, you never have to make that discovery again, and future progress is sped up. This can be seen from things as simple as the advancement of human technology to as complicated as the current clusterf**k of quantum mechanics knowledge.

A scientist, at least a scientist that doesn't just call themselves one and actually practices science, does not just choose what to believe. They believe in only what has been tested to be true. For example, Johannes Kepler first proposed that the heavens were arranged in geometrical accordance with the five perfect solids. When the calculations of himself and others proved this to be wrong, he begrudgingly accepted that he was incorrect, even though the idea was one he was incredibly personally fond of.

Why is there no reason to be sure that everything can be measured scientifically? I think that people often put too much credence into the idea of science as this big, hulking, solid thing, like a religion of its own. The truth is that science is just a process we use to understand the world better. Anything that exists can be measured scientifically simply because it exists, and if it exists we can learn about it.

Let's say, for the purpose of hypothesis, that an afterlife exists. It is undetectable by any human instrument, and those who enter the afterlife can only affect the tangible world in indecipherable ways that cannot indeed be evaluated by science. Then yes, in this case, science could obviously not evaluate and come to the conclusion that an afterlife exists.

But by this logic, literally anything could exist. Do I need to bring up Russell's Teapot again? Or, if that's too measurable, perhaps I could say that every inanimate object out of sight of human beings makes faces at you when you turn your back. After all, anything that you aren't observing could be doing absolutely anything and you would never know. Hell, everyone around you could be a mechanical and lifeless illusion that only maintains the appearance of having their own conscious existence. Science, as a process, elects to take a step back and say, "these are all assumptions about how the world works. Sure, they could be true, but let's try to make as few assumptions as possible and only accept as reality that which can be demonstrated in reality. We can theorize about things we don't know, and agree or disagree about the validity of potential natural laws and realities, but we won't accept them as concrete and true until we can prove that they do what people claim them to do."

Just remember: plenty of scientists are religious, but if they are true scientists, they do not pretend that their religion is science. That's the key to this whole thing, I guess. Believe what you want, but don't try to infringe on the simple principle of demonstrating that real things are real and non-real things aren't, because that's all science claims to be and anything else isn't science.

as I said, I'm not attacking science. I understand the power of science to work out how things work...