There's Always Hope

Hope I don't have to wait 28 years...

It's pointless changing your lottery numbers, ever.

Like changing your call on successive coin tosses. Changes not the odds at all.

The math of lotteries is that last weeks winning numbers are 100% as likely as any other set of numbers to win this weeks game.

If you find out that 50 other people also use the same numbers, you might as well change to another set of numbers.
Once in the New York State lottery, they were perplexed when a bunch of people had the winning numbers one week. It was something like 50 people splitting the pot, where usually one or two (or none) would win.

When they asked the winners, they were from NYC and had all gotten the lucky numbers from the fortune cookie in a Chinese food delivery, all with the same lucky numbers on the back of the fortune.

Possible that this is an urban myth, but I always liked the story. :)

If you find out that 50 other people also use the same numbers, you might as well change to another set of numbers.

Without knowledge of everyone's lottery numbers you could just as easily move to a set of numbers used by even more people, rather than less, Blobbers.

You do have a point though!

There are 13 983 816 permutations of numbers in a 6 ball lottery. Call it 14 million for the sake of a round figure.

If you knew that 28m tickets were sold then the average number of tickets per permutation would be 2.

That would make some sense in avoiding any permutation(s) you knew to be already used by 2 people or more.

the first ticket I got, back in 94(?) I got consecutive numbers 1,2,3 etc.....I thought I was being clever, but I read somewhere that other people also do that.....about 20 people, it said....so not a good combination.

That would make some sense in avoiding any permutation(s) you knew to be already used by 2 people or more.
well, if you could find out, it would be best to chose a permutation that nobody had used....there will be clusters, some with non, some with 5 people. etc.