Today's Vegan Menu (2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, here's the spice cake recipe (finally!). It's a little inexact as it came from my grandma, but here goes:
1 box of raisins (I think it's either 12 or 16 ounces in the store, but I can't remember exactly how much. At least a cup and a half of raisins, though and perhaps a tad more)
1 3/4 cups sugar
3 cups water
1 stick of vegan butter or margarine
4 cups flour, unsifted
1 TBSP of cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp salt
1 scant TBSP of baking soda

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour tube pan (or Bundt pan) well.

In a saucepan combine raisins, sugar, water and butter and bring to a boil. Turn off, remove from heat and let cool.
Sift together flour, cinnamon, cloves, salt and baking soda and set aside.

When wet mixture is cool, add to dry mixture and mix until blended. Try not to overmix. Batter will be kind of thick.

(Note: you may add nuts, coconut or citrus, according to my grandma, lol, but I've never added any of these. I think the nuts might be nice, but I really love this cake without any of these)
Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in cake comes out dry. If using for cupcakes, bake 15 to 20 minutes. (I might try the cupcakes at some points, lol)

Let cool for about 5 minutes before removing from pan. Cover cake with a cloth and let cool completely on a wire rack.

Today's menu:
Tea with oatmeal-banana-chocolate chip bars
Broiled hot-sauce-glazed tempeh, baked potato, steamed green beans, red wine
Dinner will be late and light: probably chickpea salad (which I just made, yum) in lettuce wraps
I think some almond milk hot chocolate might be in order for today as well.

Tea, orange, apple
Chickpea salad on brown rice cakes; hummus with pretzels and carrot sticks
Dinner will be leftover hot-sauce-glazed broiled tempeh, baked potato, steamed green beans, glass of red wine
I might do the almond milk hot chocolate again. That is so good, especially in this frigid weather. :)

Love the look of that spice cake recipe -thank you PT15. I've just copied it into my recipe book.

Breakfast -Oatmeal, millet and rye flakes soaked overnight in soya milk with goji berries, walnuts, almonds, wheatgrass, dried cranberries, chia and linseeds.
Snack -An orange.
Lunch -Corn tortillas filled with hummus and a huge salad made with rocket, raw beetroot, avocado, hemp seeds and walnut oil.
Snack -Smoothie made with spirulina, apple, kiwi, ginger, tumeric and kale.
Dinner -Jacket potato with mixed bean chilli and salad.
After-dinner treats -Slice of almond and clementine cake, 2 squares of vegan chilli chocolate and maybe a hot hazelnut milk before bed.

You are welcome, spottygiraffe! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. :)

Today:
Tea, oatmeal-banana-chocolate chip bars (2)
Chickpea salad on rice cakes; orange
Hummus and pretzels
Dinner (again) will be the hot-sauce-glazed tempeh, mashed potatoes this time and steamed spinach.
I am going to make a smoothie for a treat: Banana, chocolate, peanut butter and almond milk.

Dinner: Soup

Snack on work: Two bananas, 1 smoothie, two snacks bars (vegan, sugerfree, glutenfree)

2 falafel balls
Nakd cocoa orange bars (yes, multiple)
Popcorn
Tofu & avocado wholemeal sandwich
Olives
Sweet potato mash, LM sausage, broccoli, cauliflower, gravy.
Apple, banana, cashews, dark chocolate with ginger.

Yesterday:
Porridge made with rice milk
Cinnamon and raisin Bagel with Pure margarine
Half tub of Fragrant Thai soup
Nak'd Cocoa Loco bar.

Today:
Cinnamon and raisin Bagel with Pure margarine
Two slices of toast with Pure and Mushroom paté
Dinner tonight will be stir-fry of some description.

I made a fabulous shepherds pie on Monday with dried soya mince. Was so good!

Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
Today has been full of awesome food. Bagel and cream "cheese" for breakfast, then I went to the Chinese New Year celebrations near here, and found loads of vegan treats for my lunch - "duck" fried noodles, seaweed wontons, and soy jerky, to name a few. Tonight we'll be watching the Super Bowl with a large amounts of vegan snack foods and beer :D

I made lasagna and a loaf of semolina bread. I also have olives, crunchy roasted chick peas and unsalted potato chips with onion dip.

Reactions: PTree15
Chocolate-peanut butter cupcake (thank you, Mom :D ), tea
Salad of spinach, broccoli, edamame, kidney beans, banana peppers and shredded carrots with olive oil and red-wine vinegar
Tofu marinated in balsamic vinaigrette, steamed green beans, mashed potatoes

Reactions: hungryraccoon
Ok, here's the spice cake recipe (finally!). It's a little inexact as it came from my grandma, but here goes:
1 box of raisins (I think it's either 12 or 16 ounces in the store, but I can't remember exactly how much. At least a cup and a half of raisins, though and perhaps a tad more)
1 3/4 cups sugar
3 cups water
1 stick of vegan butter or margarine
4 cups flour, unsifted
1 TBSP of cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp salt
1 scant TBSP of baking soda

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour tube pan (or Bundt pan) well.

In a saucepan combine raisins, sugar, water and butter and bring to a boil. Turn off, remove from heat and let cool.
Sift together flour, cinnamon, cloves, salt and baking soda and set aside.

When wet mixture is cool, add to dry mixture and mix until blended. Try not to overmix. Batter will be kind of thick.

(Note: you may add nuts, coconut or citrus, according to my grandma, lol, but I've never added any of these. I think the nuts might be nice, but I really love this cake without any of these)
Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in cake comes out dry. If using for cupcakes, bake 15 to 20 minutes. (I might try the cupcakes at some points, lol)

Let cool for about 5 minutes before removing from pan. Cover cake with a cloth and let cool completely on a wire rack.

I bet this could be adapted to be made in the crock pot...

B- Hot cereal and tea
L- Marinated mushroom and roasted bell pepper panini
D- Probably just some cereal. I worked from 6am-5pm and I am too tired to put effort into food tonight

B - tofu scramble with potatoes and mixed veggies

L- tofurkey sandwich on homemade bread

Snack - roasted crunchy chickpeas

D - lasagna

Apple with peanut butter

Two clementines and a tall soy vanilla latte from Starbucks (thank you, Mom, for the gift card!)
Salad of spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, cucumbers, banana peppers, black olives and red kidney beans topped with olive oil and red-wine vinegar; fruit salad (pineapple, pear, green melon, red grapes)
Dinner will be veggie lasagna, which I am making when I get home from work, hopefully at a decent hour. :D It will have green beans, onions, garlic, broccoli, spinach and kale in it, with a red sauce and possibly a tofu-based ricotta. And I think some garlic bread will be in order, along with red wine.
If I have room for dessert, it will be a chocolate chip cookie or two (leftover from the Super Bowl party).

Mango & banana smoothie with coconut and a spoonful of lucama podwer
Big salad with home made sunflowerseed pesto (yum!) and hummus
Far too much home made fig-roll (new gluten free pastry recipe that I am trying out) - very more-ish
Baked beans & sweet potato, with broccoli salad.
A lovely lovely mug of hot chocolate (maple syrup, rice milk, vanilla & cocoa powder)

Mango & banana smoothie with coconut and a spoonful of lucama podwer
Big salad with home made sunflowerseed pesto (yum!) and hummus
Far too much home made fig-roll (new gluten free pastry recipe that I am trying out) - very more-ish
Baked beans & sweet potato, with broccoli salad.
A lovely lovely mug of hot chocolate (maple syrup, rice milk, vanilla & cocoa powder)

Wow, I have never thought about maple syrup in hot chocolate. Must try that!

Reactions: Trinity
Wow, I have never thought about maple syrup in hot chocolate. Must try that!
Mmmm it's sooo good! And really easy...

Ingredients:
1 mugful of rice milk 

1 heaped teaspoon cocoa powder

2 or 3 teaspoons maple syrup

Dash of vanilla extract

1. Measure out your mugful of rice milk, pour into a small pan and bring to the boil.
  2. Meanwhile mix one heaped teaspoon of cocoa powder in your mug with two teaspoons of maple syrup (adjust the amount to your preferred taste if needed) until it turns into a lovely smooth sauce consistency.
  3. When the milk has boiled, quickly pour into the mug and stir.
  4. Add a little cold milk if necessary and enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.