Vegan Meringue

AeryFairy

Anachronism
Reaction score
Apparently there's a new technique for making vegan meringue being passed around... I feel like I'm posting that 'weird old tip' spam stuff here, but I've heard good things. The tip is to use the water from tins of chickpeas/beans instead of egg white. Has anyone heard of this and tried it?

I've not tried it yet, but I'm going to make a Lemon Meringue Pie this week using this recipe:

Meringue Ingredients
• ½ cup plus 2 T organic sugar
• 1 can (15 oz.) cooked white beans (Great Northern, cannellini or white navy) or garbanzo beans (chickpeas), preferably salt-free*
• ½ tsp guar gum, xanthan gum or sodium alginate
(food gum stabilizes the meringue and discourages deflation when baked)
• 1 tsp real vanilla extract

*In my opinion, Great Northern beans possess the mildest flavor which is ideal for this recipe.

Full recipe at: Lemon Meringue Pie |

I will report back!

Last edited:
Reactions: Second Summer
Please do...lemon meringue is one of the things I miss a lot!

If you have a few minutes, watch this. It's amazing! Best looking vegan lemon meringue pie ever!

Last edited:
Actually, I just clicked your link...yours looks better, hahaha. Can't wait for you to try it and report back!

I like experiments when it comes to cooking and baking. I have only ever seen egg white meringue recipes using linseed. It will be interesting to know what the end products tastes like!:)

The only ingredient that I miss for baking are egg yolks for making curd and lemon tart. Unfortunately, there really is no substitute.:(

Good luck!

There is a whole group on Facebook, an offshoot of the "What Fat Vegans Eat" group that is dedicated to vegan meringue hits and misses, troubleshooting vegan meringue cookies, macarons, and vegan meringue pies etc using the "bean water" method. I have been following the posts and I am very intrigued.

Reactions: KLS52
So, here comes an unpopular question, I'm sure ... Since the "bean water" is something we normally dispose of because it has a tendency to generate gas ... Are we actually making fart meringue here? :p

Well, I've made the lemon pie part and so far, so good - I've got a super tasty, thick, smooth, lemon curd setting in a pastry shell (had to make my own pastry, no idea where to get a vegan ready-made crust!)

Now for the meringue part :p

Oh yay! I'm excited for you...and me if it works out, lol. Then I can try it! :)

Well, I've made the lemon pie part and so far, so good - I've got a super tasty, thick, smooth, lemon curd setting in a pastry shell (had to make my own pastry, no idea where to get a vegan ready-made crust!)

Now for the meringue part :p

Another cliffhanger !:D

I feel like a wizard.

b7iadj.jpg

nvwmyh.jpg

2j30jrm.jpg

Haven't tasted it yet (it just needs to chill in the fridge for a little) but I so can't wait!

This looks amazing but I associate white beans with very savory flavors. I'm having a hard time imagining the taste.
Well, the actual beans are not used, though, only the liquid. I'm sure the liquid is a bit savory too, but presumably the sugar and vanilla tastes are more dominant.

It tasted pretty good! I used chickpeas, and I could only just taste a hint of chickpea in the resulting meringue. I assume that's why the recipe author recommends using the water from a milder bean. When eaten with the lemon curd I couldn't taste it at all though, it just tasted like lemon meringue pie.

I don't think I whipped it or baked it for long enough, though - it was a little goopy. But not a bad first attempt :)

I joined a group on FB...meringue hits and misses.

What is Aqua faba? I tried googling and came up empty. I get that Aqua is water... Is it simply bean water?

What is Aqua faba? I tried googling and came up empty. I get that Aqua is water... Is it simply bean water?
It sounds Spanish. I'm guessing either it's bean water, or the water from a particular line of beans. Faba sounds like fava ...