Vegan Primers

Graeme M

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I've been writing a blog about veganism for almost a decade now. Recently I decided to write a couple of very short summaries of my stance as exposed in my blog. The purpose is to be able to give these to anyone who is interested in learning more about veganism. I've sought to keep them short, to the point and in simple everyday language. I'm interested in any feedback (I have a feeling some, maybe many, will disagree with my take on veganism...). The two primers take maybe 10 minutes to read all up.

Interestingly I've had a few people visit the page and download the primers. I posted on a couple of other sites, though no actual feedback so far.

I might be on the wrong track, but I'm not trying to tell anyone what they should do nor do I want to specifically frame veganism as just a super-strict diet. My thinking is we'd get a whole lot further by simply encouraging people to think about the idea, regardless of whether they actually do anything as a result. Veganism seems to get rubbished by many, yet it's such a great idea that most people already agree with to some extent. In fact some parts of vegan philosophy are already in the law. That's why I aimed the primers at non-vegans, rather than vegans.

Interestingly I've had a few people visit the page and download the primers. I posted on a couple of other sites, though no actual feedback so far.

I might be on the wrong track, but I'm not trying to tell anyone what they should do nor do I want to specifically frame veganism as just a super-strict diet. My thinking is we'd get a whole lot further by simply encouraging people to think about the idea, regardless of whether they actually do anything as a result. Veganism seems to get rubbished by many, yet it's such a great idea that most people already agree with to some extent. In fact some parts of vegan philosophy are already in the law. That's why I aimed the primers at non-vegans, rather than vegans.
If you'd have used the word "ethics" rather than veganism this would be worthwhile. Instead you've chosen to challenge the long accepted use of the word in order to make your own points.
I think what bothers me most is your idea of veganism as a "super-strict diet". It's not a diet, and it's not "super-strict".
Veganism isn't just an idea, it's acting on the idea.

It's the same as if I put out a Christianity for Everyone and expounded on the morality but left out the belief

If you'd have used the word "ethics" rather than veganism this would be worthwhile. Instead you've chosen to challenge the long accepted use of the word in order to make your own points.
I think what bothers me most is your idea of veganism as a "super-strict diet". It's not a diet, and it's not "super-strict".
Veganism isn't just an idea, it's acting on the idea.

It's the same as if I put out a Christianity for Everyone and expounded on the morality but left out the belief
Most people think of veganism as a super strict diet. That is my starting point because I am addressing non-vegans.

Can you point out where I am challenging the long accepted use of the word veganism?

Most people think of veganism as a super strict diet. That is my starting point because I am addressing non-vegans.

Can you point out where I am challenging the long accepted use of the word veganism?
It's thought of as super strict because of so much misinformation
The accepted definition for as long as I've been around is that veganism is the practice of abstaining from all animal-derived products in diet, and other areas of consumption, such as clothing and household goods. That animals are not ours to use.
I don't see veganism addressed at all, but rather ethics, which is why I used the Christianity without belief in Christ comparison.

It's thought of as super strict because of so much misinformation
Indeed, but that's how people think of it. Which is why I hoped to explain why it is not just a strict diet.

The accepted definition for as long as I've been around is that veganism is the practice of abstaining from all animal-derived products in diet, and other areas of consumption, such as clothing and household goods. That animals are not ours to use.
This could be just splitting hairs, but the definition is that veganism is a philosophy and a consequent set of practices. If it were just not doing X without reason it would be an empty concept.

I don't see veganism addressed at all, but rather ethics, which is why I used the Christianity without belief in Christ comparison.
I'm confused by what you say here. If veganism is an idea (ie, in this case the philosophy of having moral regard for other animals and what that means in practice) and ideas guide us to actions, how can describing veganism as an idea and a set of ethics not be talking about veganism? Christianity IS a belief in Christ, it's not a moral philosophy.