Veganism, utilitarianism, edge-cases

Possibly.
But honestly, like I said...nuance and trying to be sensible about my stance. Especially seeing as I am the only "vegan" I know.
I don't worry about every bottle of wine or beer because quite honestly, life is too short. I buy vegan wine for myself at home, and think the beer I buy is vegan, but in the end, it's a minor issue. And AFAIK no beer states "vegan" on the label, and not all wines that are vegan do.
I am contributing more to animal suffering buying almonds than I am to having a glass of wine that *might* have used a non-vegan filtering agent.

And if I am out on business, I will be joining in. Sure, I eat the plant-based meal, but these things are usually drink-centric. I'll stick to the wine and beer and simply not worry about if some fining agent back in the filtering stage wasn't vegan, because the alternative is to get into a discussion about "why the **** are you drinking water?"

Oh and the "consuming" the non-vegan bread. I don't any more. Although I don't think it's not vegan to do so in that circumstance.
Well done doing what you can,
I am Self employed and I will speak out when questioned at work I feel it may make a minority try make me look out of place but as a protected belief in my country I can be thick skinned and I only live once like everybody else. Best wishes at work

Possibly.
But honestly, like I said...nuance and trying to be sensible about my stance. Especially seeing as I am the only "vegan" I know.
I don't worry about every bottle of wine or beer because quite honestly, life is too short. I buy vegan wine for myself at home, and think the beer I buy is vegan, but in the end, it's a minor issue. And AFAIK no beer states "vegan" on the label, and not all wines that are vegan do.
I am contributing more to animal suffering buying almonds than I am to having a glass of wine that *might* have used a non-vegan filtering agent.

And if I am out on business, I will be joining in. Sure, I eat the plant-based meal, but these things are usually drink-centric. I'll stick to the wine and beer and simply not worry about if some fining agent back in the filtering stage wasn't vegan, because the alternative is to get into a discussion about "why the **** are you drinking water?"

Oh and the "consuming" the non-vegan bread. I don't any more. Although I don't think it's not vegan to do so in that circumstance.
Oh, I misunderstood. I thought you meant the alcohol itself wasn't vegan - not the filtering process. Put simply, I do think these, along with other situations, like eating non-vegan food accidentally given to you, are arbitrary and don't really matter but I do believe it's better to avoid these situations for the things I said before (such as normalizing vegans doing things that are arbitrarily wrong).

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought you meant the alcohol itself wasn't vegan - not the filtering process. Put simply, I do think these, along with other situations, like eating non-vegan food accidentally given to you, are arbitrary and don't really matter but I do believe it's better to avoid these situations for the things I said before (such as normalizing vegans doing things that are arbitrarily wrong).
Sometimes I check on barnivore, but often the beers are not there.
With wines it's tough. There is no legal compulsion to put "vegan" on the label. So, although some wines do have it, not all those that don't are "not vegan".

Of course if the alcohol was specifically not vegan in ingredients, I wouldn't consume it...eg. I was in a bar in Denmark and one of the beers was brewed using milk...

Reactions: Matteo