TV & Film (Warning: Spoilers) - Lost Finale

I knew there was a reason I liked you, FortyTwo!

Yeah, there were screwups in the script, things that were just dropped. But the characters sucked me in, and I've gotten to the point in life where I find stories that aren't all neatly tied up to be more interesting than ones that are.

Besides, I cried copious tears at Jack's death scene, and there's precious little on film that can get me to do that.

I get pretty obsessive about this, so forgive the long post!

The smoke monster. It's been harassing them since episode one and continued to harass them until the very last.

Not quite. The island has always had a caretaker, and both Jacob and his brother were potential candidates for the job. Then Jacob's brother (who is never actually named for some reason) kills their mother, who was the old caretaker, and Jacob in his rage cast his brother into the light at the center of the island, turning him into the abomination we know as the smoke monster by embodying the brother's anger at the world he lived in.

I was kind-of hoping for it to be an ancient demon or a bio-mechanical nanocloud or something like that, but I liked the island backstory as much as I would have liked either of those, so it was good for me.

The polar bears were kept in cages and experimented on by the Dharma initiative. When that fell apart, they broke lose and managed to survive despite the change of environment due to the Island's natural diversity.

Ack! That's like going up to someone religious and telling them that God is Satan! :eek:

Jacob and the "smoke monster" (known by fans as the MIB or Man In Black since the writers apparently never bothered to name him) were brothers, as described above. Though Jacob was certainly flawed, he was the "good guy", for lack of a better term, in comparison to his brother (well, more of what his brother became).

I think the main problem people have with the show is either being overwhelmed or not caring enough about it to try to understand it. Yes, the writers did do some goofy things, and they did abandon some storylines in favor of others. That will happen naturally in a show that lasts as long as LOST did and with changing times and perspectives of those involved. But if you can step back and look at the big picture of the incredibly crazy complex background they created for the show, then the occasional mess-ups in the writing don't matter. It's a show that's definitely not for everyone, but I think people just like saying how annoying and confusing it was because it's popular to say that, and I wish people would see it for what it was.

That's just my opinion, of course.

Well you know, my memory's going I suppose...

You're right about the Jacob/smoke monster. Sorry... o_O

I watched the show to enjoy it, not to pick it apart like some people to do. I guess I wasn't big enough of a fan. :p

This makes me want to start watching it again. I enjoyed the craziness of it.

Well you know, my memory's going I suppose...

You're right about the Jacob/smoke monster. Sorry... o_O

I watched the show to enjoy it, not to pick it apart like some people to do. I guess I wasn't big enough of a fan. :p

Naw, I get where you're coming from. But to me, picking it apart was part of enjoying it. I would always love it so much when I went back and watched an old episode and something happened that at the time was weird but after knowing more just made so much sense.

This makes me want to start watching it again. I enjoyed the craziness of it.

Definitely. It goes off so many mythological and spiritual concepts as well as pseudo-science that it's got a bit of everything.

Whether people who described the ending as a "cop out" or claimed that the writers had promised they wouldn't end it that way thought it was a "they were dead the whole time" ending.

Whether people who described the ending as a "cop out" or claimed that the writers had promised they wouldn't end it that way thought it was a "they were dead the whole time" ending.

That would be me and yeah I did see it as a "they were all dead" deal.

42-Yes that was it. I knew it was something like that..I havent watched LOST since the finale
But It did judge people didnt it? Because Locke had to go before it and Ben was judged for killing his 'daughter'(or allowing it anyway)

Well when you think about it, there wasn't even a huge lack of answers. Aside from no closure with Walt (which I must admit I was slightly disappointed about because they made him out to be so important and then abandoned the storyline altogether) anything they didn't wrap up is pretty much either unimportant to the overall story or can be wrapped up by thinking about it a bit.
That's not the point. I dont give a **** how unimportant ANY of it was. What got me coming back to that show each and every Tuesday night and every season for SIX years? The fact that I thought all my questions would FINALLY be answered!! By failing to do so they cheated me out of my LOST experience! I completely understand the whole finale and what it all "meant". The thing that ****** me off the most was the unanswered questions. To me, it was a huge "F You" from the writers.

Reactions: thefadedone
It really is quite ridiculous that I allow myself to get so worked up over a stupid tv show. LOL. Stupid LOST.

I'm pretty sure the polar bear thing was addressed. I just can't remember what it was... Lol
The Dharma Initiative brought them to the island for research purposes. I think since the Dharma Initiative was pretty much wiped out one of the bears got lose.

That's not the point. I dont give a **** how unimportant ANY of it was. What got me coming back to that show each and every Tuesday night and every season for SIX years? The fact that I thought all my questions would FINALLY be answered!! By failing to do so they cheated me out of my LOST experience! I completely understand the whole finale and what it all "meant". The thing that ****** me off the most was the unanswered questions. To me, it was a huge "F You" from the writers.

What didn't get answered, though?

I didn't see it as they were dead the whole time, because well, it says right there in the finale that they weren't...the part where Jack's Dad is talking with him (I think in the church?).

I too, loved the randomness of the show. When it was good, it was so very very very good, it that JJ Abrams way. The fate of Charlie, Rose's illness, the whole part with Henry Gale in the cell/John Locke/the shooting, and the whole episode about The Constant....some really amazing stuff there.

And dude, there was loaaaaads of stuff left unanswered, even things that the writers swore would be wrapped up (which is why I think they're just full of ****). They made some sort of press release after the death of Libby promising answers, and seasons later we still got nothing. What was the giant idol about? What did Walt see? How did Desmond survive? What's up with Penny's dad? Why didn't Sun get sent to the past, but was still on the plane during on the time travel nonsense? Not to mention a whole lot of details about secondary characters like Rousseau. Or the aforementioned polar bears.

The only thing I liked about the finale was the return of Vincent.

Oi. I've been looking for a new show to fill me with that excitement that I felt on "Lost night" for awhile. Lots of folks telling me about Game of Thrones, so might give that a go now that (cross fingers) the bean is actually starting to sleep more than 40 minutes at a time.

I didn't see it as they were dead the whole time, because well, it says right there in the finale that they weren't...the part where Jack's Dad is talking with him (I think in the church?).

I too, loved the randomness of the show. When it was good, it was so very very very good, it that JJ Abrams way. The fate of Charlie, Rose's illness, the whole part with Henry Gale in the cell/John Locke/the shooting, and the whole episode about The Constant....some really amazing stuff there.

And dude, there was loaaaaads of stuff left unanswered, even things that the writers swore would be wrapped up (which is why I think they're just full of ****). They made some sort of press release after the death of Libby promising answers, and seasons later we still got nothing. What was the giant idol about? What did Walt see? How did Desmond survive? What's up with Penny's dad? Why didn't Sun get sent to the past, but was still on the plane during on the time travel nonsense? Not to mention a whole lot of details about secondary characters like Rousseau. Or the aforementioned polar bears.

The only thing I liked about the finale was the return of Vincent.

Oi. I've been looking for a new show to fill me with that excitement that I felt on "Lost night" for awhile. Lots of folks telling me about Game of Thrones, so might give that a go now that (cross fingers) the bean is actually starting to sleep more than 40 minutes at a time.

After reading your post, I'm starting to remember more about how excited I was on Lost night as well. I haven't had a show stir up so many different feelings since.

I'm not familiar with Games of Thrones, but The Walking Dead has filled my Lost void.

Lost & The Walking Dead : Both about a group of "survivors" that are lost
Both have a strong, intelligent, heroic male character who is considered the group leader
Both are about survival
Both are focus on strong character development

Of course there are a lot of differences between the two, but for me it's the one show that I look forward to every week and count down the days until the next new episode because I'm dying to know what's going to happen.

I don't think any show can replace Lost for me. It wasn't perfect, but I can't think of any other show that has been that engaging and engrossing over such a large number of episodes.

Reactions: Mel