Radio What Podcast Are You Listening To?

Parker Hewes - Your Money and Your Health. It was a 20 minute podcast listing 8 ways to maintain your health. It said 20 minutes of vigorous activity a week was enough. I don't do that often apart from my trampoline and I don't do it for 20 minutes at a time. I don't do any heavy lifting either. He did say to eat food a caveman would recognise so it wasn't particularly vegan-friendly.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
It said 20 minutes of vigorous activity a week was enough
um. you either understood that wrong or he is just wrong.
and... 20 minutes, three times a week is the old goal.
The new goal is 25 minutes, 3 times a week.

but that is just for vigorous activity. which can be replaced with 150 minutes of moderate activity a week. ( you can also do combos.) So if you did 20 minutes of vigorous a week you could then just hit the goal by adding 110 minutes of moderate activity a week. That's roughly 40 minutes, three times a week. or 20 minutes, 6 times a week.

Nowadays I hardly ever do anything vigorous. but I get in lots of moderate activity. And some of what I would say is half way between moderate to vigorous.

For those whose phones count steps, the 10,000 steps a day is just a made up number. and for most of us it's pretty hard to meet. But it might make for a good goal, anyway. maybe just try to do more steps this week than last week.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15
Oh. sorry that was off topic.
Um... I have added Heather Cox Richards to my daily must listen to podcasts.
She is a historian with a great perspective.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
um. you either understood that wrong or he is just wrong.
and... 20 minutes, three times a week is the old goal.
The new goal is 25 minutes, 3 times a week.

but that is just for vigorous activity. which can be replaced with 150 minutes of moderate activity a week. ( you can also do combos.) So if you did 20 minutes of vigorous a week you could then just hit the goal by adding 110 minutes of moderate activity a week. That's roughly 40 minutes, three times a week. or 20 minutes, 6 times a week.
He said you should do both, but you should be getting your heart into vigorous mode for at least 20 minutes a week, which I don't do. I checked my Fitbit for this week and I have done 190 out of 150 minutes so far, but only 7 minutes was in vigorous mode. I'm going to start remedying that, so I need to do 13 minutes on Sunday. I might walk up the steepest hills near my house on the way back from the beach and try to do it much more quickly than normal.

Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
I listen to Parenting Hell weekly. I love Josh and Rob and they have children of a similiar age to mine so i can relate to them. Also theyre just very funny humans, obviously, being comedians!

Used to listen to 'Just One Thing' with Michael Mosely too, a health and wellbeing podcast, but have not been able to bring myself to listen to it since he died. It is very informative and interesting though.

And now for something completely different.

Its a podcast called The Walk.

A new immersive fiction podcast from Panoply created by award-winning author Naomi Alderman.

There are 30 episodes each about 25 minutes. the idea is that you listen to it while on your walk. Either a 25 minute walk or you can turn around after one episode and listen to the next one on the way back.

I listened to the first one today and it's quite entertaining. Sort of a combination of a full cast audio book or radio play and a game.

A thriller in which you, the listener, are the hero. The Walk begins in Inverness station, Scotland. Through a case of mistaken identity, you, "the walker," are given a vital package that must be couriered to Edinburgh. But as you're about to board the train, terrorists blow it up and set off an electromagnetic pulse! None of the cars or trains are working - you'll have to walk - but now the terrorists are on your trail because they want the device you're carrying, and the police are after you as a suspect in the bombing. To survive, you'll have to join up with other escapees from the city - but how many of them can you trust, and are they really who they say they are?​

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
Just discovered the podcast, The Walk is the audio portion of the Game, The Walk - a fitness app.

the way the game works is that it tracks your walk and unlocks the next episode when you have gone the required distance. Plus there are things along the way that get unlocked as you meet certain achievements.
I also discovered there are other games like this. I had no idea.

• Informative
Reactions: Raven and PTree15
^ Thanks, I just put the app on my phone.