Whatcha Makin'??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished makin' a large batch of chickpea salad (for sandwiches).... Two cans of garbanzos, two celery stalks, half a red onion, some baby arugula, Mrs. Dash, dill weed, nooch, Teta Foods garlic dip, and homemade ranch.

Last edited:
Reactions: PTree15 and Val
Just finished makin' a large batch of chickpea salad (for sandwiches).... Two cans of garbanzos, two celery stalks, half a red onion, some baby arugula, Mrs. Dash, dill weed, nooch, Teta Foods garlic dip, and homemade ranch.
This is on my list of things to make this week. :)

Reactions: Val
Makin' vegan dark chocolate truffles, this time with shortening instead of coconut oil ('cuz of Mom's friend's allergy)....

The stuff: 8 OZ of organic dark chocolate (85% & 72%, fair-trade), organic palm oil shortening (fair-trade/rain forest alliance-certified), organic Madagascar vanilla extract, unsweetened cocoa powder (for much later), and 3 TBSP of purified water & a pinch of salt (not shown)....

10-1-18 Truffle1.JPG

My double-boiler.... :p LMFAO

DoubleBoiler.JPG

Melted chocolate that needs to chill in the fridge for two hours... or overnight, depending on how I feel.... :rolleyes:

10-1-18 Truffle2.JPG

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ETA: Oh, yeah... I use this recipe: Dark Chocolate Truffles

Not sure if I posted that the last time I made these... but it's quite simple.... and it really helps to have a "cookie scoop".... :up:

OXO-1189760-Good-Grips-Cookie-Scoop-Stainless_media01.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: PTree15

This is on my list of things to make this week. :)

I just made chickpea salad for lunch. I always forget to buy celery.

Chickpeas, sweetcorn, yellow bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, red onion, vegan mayo, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, dried dill and Italian seasoning with salt and black pepper.

Chickpeas, sweetcorn, yellow bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, red onion, vegan mayo, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, dried dill and Italian seasoning with salt and black pepper.
I've been wondering - is it just your tastes or do Brits generally use corn in more things than Americans :confused:.I'd have never thought to use on things like pizza or chickpea salad! Definitely Mexican spicy type things and soups and cornbreads
And is your sweetcorn the same type as ours o_O

I'm going to make a red lentil curry today as I have seen two recipes on YT lately. I noticed that they put the dried red lentils in without rinsing them first. I thought you were supposed to rinse them.

I should go and get a can of coconut milk from the shop to go in there too.

I've been wondering - is it just your tastes or do Brits generally use corn in more things than Americans :confused:.I'd have never thought to use on things like pizza or chickpea salad! Definitely Mexican spicy type things and soups and cornbreads
And is your sweetcorn the same type as ours o_O

This was tinned sweetcorn kernels in the chickpea salad. I love them on pizza with pineapple too, not sure if that is unusual over there.

I would put it in Mexican stuff too. I'm not sure if I've ever had cornbread.

I noticed that they put the dried red lentils in without rinsing them first. I thought you were supposed to rinse them.
You know, we now never rinse legumes and grains. Because it's no need. Unless you're buying grains in bulk, during a journey, at some Asian market place, from a suspicious vendor...:D ...In the USSR we had not only to rinse everything multiple times, but to sort out grains, beans, lentils, and especially dried peas and rice(!) for hours.o_O (Because there were plenty of dead bugs, grains' husk, spiders' web, parts of dried stalks, small stones(!), and mice poop.):fp: But we never complained. And now people still have a tendency to rinse legumes, grains, and even boiled macaroni,:tinfoilhat: while some part of vitamins and microelements vanish if you rinse them before cooking and especially after cooking. E.g. it's recommended to put barley right in your boiling soup (without rinsing it first, boiling it separately and then rinsing it again), because its stock which appears during cooking has even more health benefits than boiled barley itself.:) The same is related to the other grains' and legumes' stocks.

Ooooh, I like the sweetcorn idea. I think I might try that.

Reactions: Val
OK, I used up the rest of the chilled chocolate mixture & made more truffles.... And ow, my freaking hand! LOL :confused:

Anyhoo, I packed up nine of 'em for Jerry, left three here for my mom and/or dad to have with coffee.... ;)

10-3-18 Truffle1.JPG
10-3-18 Truffle2.JPG
10-3-18 Truffle4.JPG

My mother's friend got her truffles last night... they got shared & were a tremendous hit!! :clp:

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
I'm up to making a chickpea-veggie soup tomorrow (it will be my first chickpea soup, but i'm sure it will be edible... and even tasty:p). So, i just have bought a pack of chickpeas:smile:. I'm also going to pickle something tonight, and make "mesivo" (maybe on the weekend).
What i really want to try (and i will, when i get my paycheck) is wild rice (not black forbidden rice). Wild rice is actually a weed. And 0.990 lb costs $6:eek:. But it's worth it.:innocent:

Reactions: PTree15
A big-*** pot o' chili with all kinds o' nummy stuff in it. LOL :D Finally got everything in the pot to simmer.... :rolleyes:

10-7-18 Chili1.JPG
10-7-18 Chili2.JPG
10-7-18 Chili3.JPG
10-7-18 Chili4.JPG

Gonna take a break, drink a couple beers, then make my remaining potato skins for dinner. The chili shall be a 2-night deal. :lick:

Last edited:
Reactions: PTree15 and Brian W
Very soon i'll be pickling dried pressed soy fiber (yuba). I'll be making it myself, without any oil!:jump: Actually, it's so simple: just soak it for 8 hrs, cut into pieces, put special dressing inside, and put in the fridge for 2 hrs (or as you wish). But this oil in the dressing makes me crazy. I hate hate hate oil:bang: in any form, but i have to eat it sometimes because it goes with my favourite products:confused:. I have already quit eating my favourite ready salad of pink beets and other veggies, because they sell it with enormous quantities of stinky oil (for me every oil is stinky). I eat only plain hummus now because it's not that oily, i never eat fried foods, etc. I avoid oil as much as possible not only because it ruins any natural taste (even if it's "tasteless"), but after consuming this evil invention i feel bad(!). So, yesterday i found a nice dressing for pickling things like yuba: it has no oil, pretty much garlic, lemon, spices, minimum preservatives (honestly, i avoid foods which contain the whole Mendeleyev's periodic table of elements in them).:p

Very soon i'll be pickling dried pressed soy fiber (yuba). I'll be making it myself, without any oil!:jump: Actually, it's so simple: just soak it for 8 hrs, cut into pieces, put special dressing inside, and put in the fridge for 2 hrs (or as you wish). But this oil in the dressing makes me crazy. I hate hate hate oil:bang: in any form, but i have to eat it sometimes because it goes with my favourite products:confused:. I have already quit eating my favourite ready salad of pink beets and other veggies, because they sell it with enormous quantities of stinky oil (for me every oil is stinky). I eat only plain hummus now because it's not that oily, i never eat fried foods, etc. I avoid oil as much as possible not only because it ruins any natural taste (even if it's "tasteless"), but after consuming this evil invention i feel bad(!). So, yesterday i found a nice dressing for pickling things like yuba: it has no oil, pretty much garlic, lemon, spices, minimum preservatives (honestly, i avoid foods which contain the whole Mendeleyev's periodic table of elements in them).:p
I prefer to avoid oil too but unfortunately, where I work, I have to eat what I am given. I take some of my own food sometimes but I don't really have the time or energy to keep cooking during the week and I don't get to eat at home when I work late. We do often get salads and plain boiled rice or boiled new potatos and sometimes beans in their natural state with just some herbs to flavour them so it's not too bad.

I prefer to avoid oil too but unfortunately, where I work, I have to eat what I am given.
That's why i don't eat at lyceum's cafeteria at all. I take fruit bars with me.:p Moreover, i don't have "dinner time" or something, and i'm only given 5 min. breaks. But that's quite enough to eat a bar or/and run to the restroom.:D

Reactions: PTree15 and Brian W
I made two batches of Miyoko’s butter! The first batch I used soy lecithin even though the recipe called for sunflower. I used sunflower the first time I made it and it didn’t work out. I used soy after that and never had a problem.

But with the second batch, I decided to try the sunflower again. And lo and behold, it separated, just like the first time. How odd. Even though I did everything else exactly the same, even timed how long I processed it. I don’t think I’ll be using the sunflower lecithin again. It’s not worth it. I think I can salvage it, though. I took one of the small blocks and melted it again. Then I added some blended cashews, because, I’m not sure why, lol. I think it’s because the one I buy in the store says cashews on the ingredient label. It actually worked and didn’t separate again once it hardened.

But my first batch is really good. I will stick with that, from now on. I have enough to last me awhile. I’m also thinking I will use the second batch for baking/cooking when something calls for butter.

Last edited:
This is the Brooklyn Boyz pizza I doctored up the other night... forgot to post pics....

DSCN0923.JPG
DSCN0924.JPG
DSCN0926.JPG

And I had to take a picture of the box because I was staring at the thing & found it quite unsettling.... :bag: LMAO

DSCN0927.JPG

I dunno... the guy who's front & center just looks really sinister to me for some reason.... LOL :rolleyes:

Reactions: KLS52
Tomorrow evening i'll be making a new borscht with chickpeas, various veggies, shredded cabbage, beans, green beans, salsa and flaxseed flour.:woo:
...Aaaaand... i realized now that i can make quick pickled cabbage myself!:iiam: :D That site about cabbage had inspired me. Really, why not? - I'm good at pickling, and if i accidentally spoil the cabbage head, it woudn'd be a hole in my budget.:leer: Btw, i found several different recipes of georgian-style(!) cabbage, and they are easy to make! :yes:

I made two batches of Miyoko’s butter! The first batch I used soy lecithin even though the recipe called for sunflower. I used sunflower the first time I made it and it didn’t work out. I used soy after that and never had a problem.

But with the second batch, I decided to try the sunflower again. And lo and behold, it separated, just like the first time. How odd. Even though I did everything else exactly the same, even timed how long I processed it. I don’t think I’ll be using the sunflower lecithin again. It’s not worth it. I think I can salvage it, though. I took one of the small blocks and melted it again. Then I added some blended cashews, because, I’m not sure why, lol. I think it’s because the one I buy in the store says cashews on the ingredient label. It actually worked and didn’t separate again once it hardened.

But my first batch is really good. I will stick with that, from now on. I have enough to last me awhile. I’m also thinking I will use the second batch for baking/cooking when something calls for butter.
It separated as it cooled? When I made it I would immediately put the containers in the freezer and check them after like ten minutes, stir again, and leave them till solid. I used small containers because they would moldy if not used in about 10 days in the fridge. Once they were frozen without separating they were ok when put in fridge

It separated as it cooled? When I made it I would immediately put the containers in the freezer and check them after like ten minutes, stir again, and leave them till solid. I used small containers because they would moldy if not used in about 10 days in the fridge. Once they were frozen without separating they were ok when put in fridge
Interesting...I did put them in the freezer to cool but did not stir again. And it doesn’t explain why the batch with the soy lecithin is perfect without a second stir. I may try one more time, then, with the second stir using the sunflower lecithin just to see if it works for me. Actually, I could try melting the sunflower batch, mixing it really well again and refreezing it. Thanks!

I decided to replace chickpeas in my "evening" borscht with green lentils, as i want something new. This might sound weird, but i've never made lentil soup. In general, i'm not very much into lentils. But yesterday i found a pack of green lentils, which are more edible than red lentils, IMO.:rofl: And they are chewy.:lick: As long as i'm going to put a lot of cabbage, i suspect it will be better than chickpeas or farro, or barley, or split peas, etc...
Plus after work i'll buy that cool korean marinade (without oil), and i'll pickle my pressed soy fiber (yuba). When i'm pickling it myself, i always add yeast seasoning, and it becomes extremely addictive.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.