Whats your favourite dish?

AJP

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hello, Have recently transitioned over. Any suggestions on favourite dishes? Also Food spots in London would be great.
Much obliged.

Kind Regards

Too many to list . I like Indian, Thai, Malaysian, West Indies, Italian, Mexican and Middle East inspired dishes
If you had a favourite non vegan dish don't be afraid to substitute the animal product for a vegan one. An easy example is switch meat out to mushroom.
I adapted my friends Jamacian jerk recipe to a vegan version using potato and other root vegies.

Thanks for the knowledge. I will certainly be giving it a go. Any specific recipes you can recommend? how long have you been vegan? Thank you very much

This is one of my favorite recipes. It's from a local Thai restaurant chain called The Noodle Box. This recipe is spot-on, and happens to be their most popular menu item.

Spicy Thai Peanut Box

Sauce Ingredients:

1 cup natural peanut butter

1 can organic coconut milk (whole, full fat)

4 tablespoons fresh lime juice

3 tablespoons soy sauce

1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger root

3 cloves garlic, minced

- hot sauce (sriracha) 1 tbsp for mild, 2 tbsp for medium, 3 tbsp for spicy, 4 tbsp for HOT, etc. Fresh hot birds eye chilis can be used instead, but for me the hot sauce gives a far more conisitent heat level.

In a bowl, mix (whisk) the peanut butter, coconut milk, lime juice, soy sauce, hot sauce, ginger, and garlic. No cooking necessary. Taste and add more sriracha according to heat level preferences.

The veggies they use are: onions, carrots, red peppers, broccoli and bok choy. Stir-fry them on high heat with high-heat oil (oil is optional, as I don’t use oil). They also offer a choice of protein, including tofu. I prefer mine with just veggies. I'm not a huge tofu fan, but you can add whatever you like, including various veggies.

I also prefer Thai rice noodles, but any noodles will work, or serve it on rice if you like. The noodles will clump if you cook them ahead of time. Either hold them in cold water after cooking, and then drain thoroughly before adding them, or cook the stir-fry first, then add the noodles last, tossing everything together well. Either way, when your veggies are soft enough for your tastes, thoroughly drain noodles and add a healthy amount of this delicious sauce. Thoroughly mix/toss, heating all together, and serve with garnish toppings below. Be careful no additional water from the noodles or veggies weaken the sauce. Drain everything well before adding the sauce.

*Garnish with chopped roasted peanuts, bean sprouts (uncooked and thoroughly rinsed), chopped cilantro and lime wedges. Delicious!

*By the way, their recipe has fish sauce. I've eliminated that from the recipe for obvious reasons. I'd suggest adding a pinch of salt, if you think it needs it.

I sautee garlic in olive oil or canola oil and then toss in a handful of fresh or frozen spinach and cook til nice and well done, sprinkle on salt n pepper, then spread hummus on a piece of toast and pile the spinach and garlic mix on top. You can also put crushed red pepper on this and/or a squeeze of lemon juice.

I also make a simplified version of the recipe listed above: I mix about 2 tbsp peanut butter with a little hot/boiling water, half a lime squeezed for juice, and soy sauce or Bragg's liquid aminos and Sriracha to taste on cooked, drained plain rice ramen. I make this all the time and it's really affordable.

Spread mashed avocado on toast and top with nutritional yeast and salt. That's it.

If you want to spend more money or work a little harder, fry strips of tempeh, that have been marinated in oil and soy sauce (or Bragg's aminos) for about 20 minutes, over medium heat until browned nicely and crisp. Toast bread, melt vegan cheese on one or both slices of toast, and put the fried tempeh in a sandwich with sourkraut on top, and vegan 1000 Island-type dressing made from vegenaise/just mayo, ketchup, sweet relish, salt and pepper.

These are all pretty easy do-able things. I also like vegan pizza, bean burritos with guacamole, salads with tofu, and tofu enchiladas. I make a nice vegan borscht too that I put under the "too many potatoes" thread in the recipes section if you want to look for it.

My favourite meal is battered tofu, mushy peas and chips. I used to get it from 'something fishy' but I don't know what happened to them. I get spring roll and curry sauce instead of the battered tofu.

A towering burrito bowl is my favourite - rice on the bottom, beans of whatever kind you like, on the second level, a bit of sriracha on the beans, then chopped cherry tomatoes/green onions/red pepper (or whatever veggies you like), topped with chopped lettuce/spinach, then some olives, chopped up avocado and covered with a white sauce. The sauce I use is hemp seeds, fresh garlic, agave, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, dill, pepper, cayenne, bit of salt and water to thin slightly, spun in a bullet.

Emma JC