Why Do Older Men Like Younger Women ?

There's only one man over 40 who I've ever found myself really attracted to, and that is, for some inexplicable reason, Masahiro Sakurai:

630x.jpg

I just don't understand. Is it because he invented Kirby? He still looks so young!

Well its a two way thing ...a lot of younger women like older men .

Well its a two way thing ...a lot of younger women like older men .

I would like your post more if you actually were a young woman, however, your profile says "Male, 116".
Are you speaking from experience?
(Of course I realize that most women would be "younger women" to you..)

I dated someone who was a decade older than me when I was 17 and it felt like too much of a age gap. I personally wouldn't want to date anyone who looked old enough to be my parent/young enough to be my child as I find it quite creepy.

Someone I know recently dated a long time family friend who was a woman aged about 40 when he was about 75. She is a single parent and he is quite well off financially. He said that she told him that she had always fancied him over the years. I think he would have to be completely delusional to think that was true!

It's up to the individual who they want to date at the end of the day, it's none of my business as long as it is legal and consensual. I can just judge them behind their back.:p

ETA - not that all age gap relationships are like that obviously, I'm sure some are based on love.

Reactions: ledboots
I would like your post more if you actually were a young woman, however, your profile says "Male, 116".
Are you speaking from experience?
(Of course I realize that most women would be "younger women" to you..)
:)^^ I will leave you guessing re the "116";) but the MALE part is correct .
"Are you speaking from experience" yes ,but no , I have not taken up the offers .
Someone close to the family, well her husband died and she married a guy 30 years older than her and she had a little kiddie to him .....they seem happy married ....what attracted her to him, him to her in the beginning ,I have no idea , i didn't ask . Wasn't my business to ask .

I tend to like people because of who they are rather then their age.. but i think it is more practical to be with someone within a few years of your age.

• Agree
Reactions: shyvas
I dated someone who was a decade older than me when I was 17 and it felt like too much of a age gap. I personally wouldn't want to date anyone who looked old enough to be my parent/young enough to be my child as I find it quite creepy.

Someone I know recently dated a long time family friend who was a woman aged about 40 when he was about 75. She is a single parent and he is quite well off financially. He said that she told him that she had always fancied him over the years. I think he would have to be completely delusional to think that was true!

It's up to the individual who they want to date at the end of the day, it's none of my business as long as it is legal and consensual. I can just judge them behind their back.:p

ETA - not that all age gap relationships are like that obviously, I'm sure some are based on love.

I think that the age gap when you're in your late teens or early twenties is far too big if you are in a relationship with someone who is 10 years older. I also think that it's the same thing when you're in your mid fifties. Once again there is these are crucial ages when the body and mind goes through various changes.
I have a pal who is 61 and she has a partner who is 73 and the difference is huge. She finds him to be an elderly man. The only reason why she is with him as she has no home of her own.

http://jezebel.com/5857933/insecurity-invisibility-and-the-reason-older-men-want-to-date-you

Society has conditioned you to think that men are more attractive in their old age than women are, but c'mon, nose hair? Unruly curly eyebrows? Bald heads? Giant ears? No thank you! :D

Nose hair and eyebrows at least can be dealt with easily! There are rumours of a cure for baldness ...! I didn't know giant ears were an age-related issue, though!?

Ears continue to grow throughout life. Old guys end up with really big ears sometimes! :D

Is that the cartilage continuing to grow?

That's what they used to think. Now the theory is that it's gravity that causes the nose and ears to look huge when old. The collagen and elastin decrease with age too; everything is shrinking save the nose and ears themselves.
Hey!!! Nobody mentioned the infamous ear hair?! ... I'm stating to have almost as much ear hair as my cats and rabbits did.

*looks carefully and somewhat anxiously into the mirror at his 63.5-year-old face to see if his nose and ears are really growing... They don't appear to be.*

I swear my nose is bigger! Lol. I used to like my nose. :(

Reactions: ledboots
I had a 5-year relationship with a woman 18 years older than me. (Yes, 18--not a typo.) Some people objected to the age difference, but usually only after they were told the numbers. In other words, when Carol and I went out as a couple, no one said anything. Maybe we didn't "look" our ages.

On the other hand, whenever I dated younger women (which was very seldom), my sister (who is 3 and 1/2 years younger than me), would practically start screaming. "Robbing the cradle!" was one of her phrases.

There's an interesting line or two about young women in the film Grandma. Lilly Tomlin plays the title role.

I like being old, young people are stupid.

(Says Tomlin's character.)

In one scene Tomlin's character hands her (17-ish) grand-daughter a copy of the book The Feminine Mystique.
The grand-daughter thinks the book is about the character from X-Men.

Mystique-WfCb9c0.png

I had a 5-year relationship with a woman 18 years older than me. (Yes, 18--not a typo.) Some people objected to the age difference, but usually only after they were told the numbers. In other words, when Carol and I went out as a couple, no one said anything. Maybe we didn't "look" our ages.

On the other hand, whenever I dated younger women (which was very seldom), my sister (who is 3 and 1/2 years younger than me), would practically start screaming. "Robbing the cradle!" was one of her phrases.

There's an interesting line or two about young women in the film Grandma. Lilly Tomlin plays the title role.

(Says Tomlin's character.)

In one scene Tomlin's character hands her (17-ish) grand-daughter a copy of the book The Feminine Mystique.
The grand-daughter thinks the book is about the character from X-Men.

View attachment 8380

I often wonder why some men like to date much older woman. ? I wouldn't feel at ease being with a younger man. I would say that 3 or 5 year younger would be fine. However, more than 5 years would be very difficult to deal with especially once you've hit the 50 milestone.

I often wonder why some men like to date much older woman. ? I wouldn't feel at ease being with a younger man. I would say that 3 or 5 year younger would be fine. However, more than 5 years would be very difficult to deal with especially once you've hit the 50 milestone.

Well, I cannot answer for men as a group who like to date older women. I can only give you my own experience, which you may consider to be atypical.

First, it is not as though I had dozens of women my age throwing themselves at my feet, and I stepped on their faces and over their prostrate bodies to date Carol. That is just not the way it worked.

Second, some women think that all men can be successfully employed as one of those people at the circus who can guess your age just by looking at you. I cannot. I simply do not have that ability.

Third, when I first met Carol, she asked me my age. And I told her, truthfully. However, I did not ask her her age. Because a gentleman does not ask a lady her age. And I was not particularly interested in what her age was when I first met her.

Fourth, I met Carol at a seminar entitled "Living Single in a Couples World." I was one of two men at the seminar (not counting the speaker, a social worker) with about 30 women. Carol contrived to sit right behind me. During the seminar the speaker had us speak to the person to the right of us, then to the left of us, and then behind us. That's how I first spoke to Carol. We were supposed to tell each other the answers to particular questions posed by the speaker. Like, "What was one of your life's most embarrassing moments?" The real point of the exercise was just to get us talking to one another.

Fifth, I met a woman at the seminar who was about my age, perhaps a few years younger. I asked her to accompany me to the annual dinner of a state-wide nonprofit organization I was involved with, which involved a prominent guest speaker. Yet when I called her back to ask her on a second date, I got a very frosty, hostile reception. Apparently, she was bored to death by the annual dinner. So I scratched her off my dance card and called Carol.

Sixth, my first date with Carol was to go to the Tennessee Performing Arts Center (TPAC) to see a production of Gilbert and Sullivan's Mikado. I probably could not have taken a woman my age or younger to such an event due to the "eau de boredom" factor. As far as I could tell, Carol was never bored with me, and I was never bored with her. Carol and I spent a lot of time at TPAC, listening to classical and popular music concerts, seeing plays like Cats (Broadway cast on tour), listening to visiting musicians, like Doc Severinson (sp?), the trumpeter from Johnny Carson's Tonight show, etc.
We had plenty of common interests.

Seventh, my sister was often very smart-alecky and acerbic with me, often quick with a put down. Yet when she first saw a picture of Carol, she had one word to say: "Pretty." Yes, Carol was pretty.

Eighth, one factor that I found very attractive about Carol was her voice. She had a very beautiful voice, that is, speaking voice. She had a soft Southern accent, with a sort of "honey dripping" quality. It was literally a pleasure to hear her speak. And her singing voice was even better (though I could rarely get her to sing for me).

Ninth, Carol was highly intelligent and well educated. She was a teacher, and was just a few credits short of having the equivalent of a Ph.D. in education. She designed the Gifted program for students in Kentucky. When she came to Tennessee, she was put in charge of a competitive academic program called "The Olympics of the Mind." Under her tutelage, her school district had more teams competing in "The Olympics of the Mind" than at any other time in the history of the school district.

Carol and I had a relationship that lasted five years, longer than many marriages. Yes, she had her flaws. But I think she was a remarkable person.

Reactions: Tom L. and PTree15
Well, I cannot answer for men as a group who like to date older women. I can only give you my own experience, which you may consider to be atypical.

First, it is not as though I had dozens of women my age throwing themselves at my feet, and I stepped on their faces and over their prostrate bodies to date Carol. That is just not the way it worked.

Second, some women think that all men can be successfully employed as one of those people at the circus who can guess your age just by looking at you. I cannot. I simply do not have that ability.

Third, when I first met Carol, she asked me my age. And I told her, truthfully. However, I did not ask her her age. Because a gentleman does not ask a lady her age. And I was not particularly interested in what her age was when I first met her.

Fourth, I met Carol at a seminar entitled "Living Single in a Couples World." I was one of two men at the seminar (not counting the speaker, a social worker) with about 30 women. Carol contrived to sit right behind me. During the seminar the speaker had us speak to the person to the right of us, then to the left of us, and then behind us. That's how I first spoke to Carol. We were supposed to tell each other the answers to particular questions posed by the speaker. Like, "What was one of your life's most embarrassing moments?" The real point of the exercise was just to get us talking to one another.

Fifth, I met a woman at the seminar who was about my age, perhaps a few years younger. I asked her to accompany me to the annual dinner of a state-wide nonprofit organization I was involved with, which involved a prominent guest speaker. Yet when I called her back to ask her on a second date, I got a very frosty, hostile reception. Apparently, she was bored to death by the annual dinner. So I scratched her off my dance card and called Carol.

Sixth, my first date with Carol was to go to the Tennessee Performing Arts Center (TPAC) to see a production of Gilbert and Sullivan's Mikado. I probably could not have taken a woman my age or younger to such an event due to the "eau de boredom" factor. As far as I could tell, Carol was never bored with me, and I was never bored with her. Carol and I spent a lot of time at TPAC, listening to classical and popular music concerts, seeing plays like Cats (Broadway cast on tour), listening to visiting musicians, like Doc Severinson (sp?), the trumpeter from Johnny Carson's Tonight show, etc.
We had plenty of common interests.

Seventh, my sister was often very smart-alecky and acerbic with me, often quick with a put down. Yet when she first saw a picture of Carol, she had one word to say: "Pretty." Yes, Carol was pretty.

Eighth, one factor that I found very attractive about Carol was her voice. She had a very beautiful voice, that is, speaking voice. She had a soft Southern accent, with a sort of "honey dripping" quality. It was literally a pleasure to hear her speak. And her singing voice was even better (though I could rarely get her to sing for me).

Ninth, Carol was highly intelligent and well educated. She was a teacher, and was just a few credits short of having the equivalent of a Ph.D. in education. She designed the Gifted program for students in Kentucky. When she came to Tennessee, she was put in charge of a competitive academic program called "The Olympics of the Mind." Under her tutelage, her school district had more teams competing in "The Olympics of the Mind" than at any other time in the history of the school district.

Carol and I had a relationship that lasted five years, longer than many marriages. Yes, she had her flaws. But I think she was a remarkable person.

You're right, five years is quite a long time to date someone.

It seems like you were attracted to her personality and that is perhaps the reason why you really got on. You certainly seemed to have a lot in common and I was wondering whether you split up due to the age difference ? Please don't answer if my question is too personal.

You're right, five years is quite a long time to date someone.

It seems like you were attracted to her personality and that is perhaps the reason why you really got on. You certainly seemed to have a lot in common and I was wondering whether you split up due to the age difference ? Please don't answer if my question is too personal.

It is personal, but not too personal. This was a very painful period both for Carol and for me.

I don't have time now to write a full reply. But the answer is "yes and no." We split up for several reasons, but you can say that the reasons were rooted (at least in part) in the age difference. For example, Carol became extremely bossy. (I hate being "bossed.") This may be a danger in any relationship where there is a substantial age difference--the older person may try to boss and dominate the younger person. Carol became extremely, insanely jealous of me (without real cause), and this may be a danger in any relationship where there is a substantial age difference. Third, Carol and I had a big fight about a movie we saw, What's Love Got to Do with It? Now, we had discussed going to see Sleepless in Seattle. With Carol's habits, we were running late, so I dropped her off at the door to the theater, put some money in her hand, and asked her to buy the tickets while I parked the car. So she bought tickets to a movie I barely mentioned in our discussion, not the one we had agreed on. When we left the theater, Carol was crying and seething with wrath, why had I forced her to see that horrible, sadistic movie? Didn't I know that her second husband beat her like Ike beat Tina? I made her relive those horrible experiences, etc. Was my ability to relate to Tina Turner, her music, her bravery in freeing herself from Ike's brutality, at least in part due to my age? (I've told this story in another post somewhere else on this board.)

There was much, much more involved. But generally all these negative forms of behavior and what I regarded as "craziness" emerged during the last year of our relationship.

Now, some people might say that all these things are just rationalizations I had seized upon to get rid of an older lover.
I don't think so, but then, this is my perspective.

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas
My wife is 5 years older than me.
We do have some issues, but so far, age difference has not been one of them.

My dad was 9-years older than my mother. They had a long marriage, until he passed away.

I am 2.5 years older than my husband, which seemed to make a difference when we were 20 and 23, but now in our 50's, LOL. He says I look younger anyway :fly:

My husband is 5 years older than I am, but I think (know:D) that I am more responsible and mature than him. It seemed a bigger age gap when we met as I was 17 and a student and he was 22 and he had been working since he was 16.

I personally think sometimes if you are first born that it makes a difference to your maturity in a relationship. I am the oldest of my siblings, but he is the baby as he is the youngest of 4 siblings. Even though he is older than me I make most of the decisions as I am used to being bossy and he is used to being told what to do.:p