Would you make separate profiles to please family?

Skylark

VHS Upcycler
Reaction score
Many in my family are very conservative and object to my occasional Facebook posts that are sexually orientated or contain a four letter word. This is not what I consider to be excessive: one every few weeks, with many innocuous posts in between. There has been as request for me to create a profile where I only post PG-rated material. Would you do it?

Probably not. Maybe just create lists? That way you can control who sees what.

Although I have been known to create multiple profiles when I was playing FarmVille and Cafe World so I could send myself gifts and complete goals. :D

Assuming that I would use Facebook again, then no.

Mostly because I rarely do anything controversial with it.

I would never post anything personal on FB for the reason that many of my fb friends are family. They are not conservative but I consider it cringy if they knew my business etc. I would only post more personal things on social media like Tumblr or on here where people are not related to me. I tend to keep my family and social selves separate.

But then I rarely use FB for that very reason. One of the limitations of FB is that relatively incompatible groups of people are thrown together in the same space. It can be really weird.

Reactions: FortyTwo and Poppy
I wouldn't, just use lists if you need to censor something, or you can just block those few people from seeing a particular post. I have one very religious relative and I'm sure she doesn't appreciate the anti-religious posts. But I figure she can ignore them or remove me from her newsfeed, just like I do with her daily religious posts.

I don't know much about how Facebook works, but this could be addressed with software changes...If a person could have completely separate areas of their profile, then it could effectively function like multiple accounts, all under the same name.

Nope.

It sounds too much like hard work, an easier option would be to make a separate list of friends who don't mind seeing "non-PG 13" posts and only sharing posts with them if they fall into that category. Or alternatively (and I like this idea better), give them the responsibility of deciding what they see. If they don't like some of your posts, they can choose to un-friend you, ignore you, or to only see your "important" (most responded to) posts in their newsfeed, etc. I think it's much more adult for people to make choices about what they want to see, than to ask other people to go to extra effort to moderate themselves for your benefit.

I thought about having separate lists for my in-laws-to-be for a while, because I felt a bit self-conscious swearing or referencing sex in front of them. In the end though it just felt dishonest. Also I have a feeling they'd have been offended if they found out.

I don't know much about how Facebook works, but this could be addressed with software changes...If a person could have completely separate areas of their profile, then it could effectively function like multiple accounts, all under the same name.

You can create "lists" and assign each friend to a list (or multiple lists). When posting, you can limit your posts to a particular list. People not on that list don't see the post. You can also limit the audience for photos.

I have all my coworkers on a list that has extremely limited access to my profile. My default setting is "all friends, except work." Other than that, everyone can see everything.

I just refuse to have family members as facebook friends. Simples.

Well, what I actually did was post that I was deleting my facebook account and put an email address up for people to contact me on. Then a few days later I created a new profile and invited only the people I wanted to have as friends. My family have figured it out but I just told them that I want to keep my friends and family separate, that I mainly only use facebook to contact my friends and my family see me far more often than my friends do, they have my mobile and house phone number and they know three of my email addresses. And they can also get hold of other family members if they really can't get hold of me. They don't need facebook in order to contact me :p

I just refuse to have family members as facebook friends. Simples.

Well, what I actually did was post that I was deleting my facebook account and put an email address up for people to contact me on. Then a few days later I created a new profile and invited only the people I wanted to have as friends. My family have figured it out but I just told them that I want to keep my friends and family separate, that I mainly only use facebook to contact my friends and my family see me far more often than my friends do, they have my mobile and house phone number and they know three of my email addresses. And they can also get hold of other family members if they really can't get hold of me. They don't need facebook in order to contact me :p

Same here. I know many of the things I post would offend my highly religious relatives and the majority of the crap they post would offend me as well. It's best for me to not even attempt to "friend' them. It would be nothing but drama.

Reactions: Freesia
I'm kind of odd in that I "am" the highly religious/spiritual person but I don't use FB or any other online method as a tool to spread the word, so to speak. My RL family and friends wouldn't have a problem with anything I might post, be it religious, grandchildren or furbaby related. And mostly everything I post is about Josh, Lydia, Bogart or food, lol. That's not likely to change anytime soon. Since most of my online friends are either atheist, agnostic, etc. I try and keep my FB page pretty neutral. But if something is really important to me, I am most certainly going to post it (i.e. Merry Christmas, Happy Easter, etc.). I would hope that would be tolerated and not offensive to my friends.

I get many posts in my feed about atheism, non-PG related post and/or pictures (mostly from a cousin and one of my son's friends). And some of them make me go "OMG!" lol. The cousin got blocked :D. I will just hide the other posts if they are something that really bother me but that almost never happens. I would hope that if an occasional post from me annoys someone that they would just hide that post, rather than unfriend me. And I'm not sure how the "likes" work because I will "like" certain religious posts from other FBers.

The last thing I want is someone "tippy-toe-ing" around me and I don't want to have to do the same. I like my FB/online friends and will almost always like or respond to posts that show up on my wall. I actually made separate viewing lists but, so far, have not felt the need to use them.

I have my main one with really strict Conservative Christians that is where I have my main farmtown and games on, Then I have a political and activist facebook, Then I have a facebook for family and friends and those that sees the real me. I have the Conservative pepople on the main and original one because I kinda not like their political views and stuff but, we share the same and simliar beliefs of Faith but not that much but we are friend.

I have a list created that includes "friends except [certain people]', [certain people] being the list of my daughter's family on her bio father's side, who have no business knowing what's going on in my day to day life. Of course, they can still go on my Timeline to see my stuff, but anything I post will not show in their feeds.

Reactions: thefadedone