Your pet's favorite people-food nom-noms

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I know dogs will eat anything they can get their teeth into. Vets performing x-rays and surgery on dogs have found pretty much everything imaginable inside these animals, including a lot of 0bjects not intended as food, such as kitchen knives. *shudder*

My cats have interesting tastes, too. Sabrina loves the taste of soy sauce. One time I had a bottle of soy sauce sitting out on the kitchen counter. I turned away for a minute to grab a rag to clean off the outside of the bottle, and when I turned back Sabrina was standing on the counter licking the sauce off the bottle. She also has a sweet tooth. More than once I caught her munching her way through muffins I had innocently left sitting out. Bear loves dairy products. He especially loves ranch dressing (he does the same thing with the ranch dressing bottle that Sabrina did with the soy sauce bottle; that is, licking off the outside), but milk (especially half & half, which is actually half milk and half cream) and melted cheese are nom-noms for him, too. Misty is the odd kitty out. In all the years I've had her I've never seen her go after any kind of people food. Weird. :p

Don't give your cats and dogs chocolate; it's toxic.I know rabbits get all sorts of fun things to munch on, such as parsley. But what other kind of people food do your pets like, that they really shouldn't eat too much of? :p

Schroeder loves red peppers, mushrooms and bok choy. He'll also eat onions, if I'm not there to stop him. He chews on raw potatoes through the bag and recently ruined a couple of pounds of them. He's stolen a piece of Tofurky sausage before.

Dill likes Shredded Wheats and carrott(well dried carrott)
Also Rich Tea Biscuits but they are very unhealthy for him to eat all the time.

My kitty likes Soyatoo, Vegenaise, tortilla chips, and Tuno (now discontinued :( ). I've had cats who ate watermelon, and saltine crackers with grape jelly. Not that I let them have any of these things. Most of the time they would jump up and swipe it away from me before I knew what was happening. :p

My dachshund loves nearly all allowed fruits and vegetables. Her favorite is banana, including PEELS, so we have to watch the compost or she would dig it up. She loves carrots, white potatoes, sweet potatoes, melon, apple, citrus, pear, all berries, celery, all greens, especially spinach, etc etc.

She doesn't eat much dog food these days; she is 15 years old now, and will only eat this one refrigerated wet food from the pet store (walmart has it now) and I'm sure that's because it has visible carrots, green peas and, potatoes in there with the meat. She would make a great vegan dog but won't touch any vegan dog food I've bought. I'm too grossed out to buy or give her pieces of meat, so I give some of that dog food each day. She's been heathy, and normalish weight except for a toad poisoning incident that luckily didn't kill her. Seeing her beg for banana cracks people up. :D

My dachshund loves nearly all allowed fruits and vegetables. Her favorite is banana, including PEELS, so we have to watch the compost or she would dig it up. She loves carrots, white potatoes, sweet potatoes, melon, apple, citrus, pear, all berries, celery, all greens, especially spinach, etc etc.

She doesn't eat much dog food these days; she is 15 years old now, and will only eat this one refrigerated wet food from the pet store (walmart has it now) and I'm sure that's because it has visible carrots, green peas and, potatoes in there with the meat. She would make a great vegan dog but won't touch any vegan dog food I've bought. I'm too grossed out to buy or give her pieces of meat, so I give some of that dog food each day. She's been heathy, and normalish weight except for a toad poisoning incident that luckily didn't kill her. Seeing her beg for banana cracks people up. :D

My dog goes nuts over veggies and most fruits. She doesn't really like bananas but will scarf up watermelon within seconds. I always give her veggies for snacks and with all her meals. I've been feeding her Halo vegan dog food and she likes it. She also loves all beans, tofu, and some mock meats. She won't eat anything like bread, crackers, junk food, etc., but she will gladly snatch them up and bury them in my bed or in the couch.:rolleyes:

Reactions: ledboots
I've been feeding her Halo vegan dog food and she likes it. She also loves all beans, tofu, and some mock meats. She won't eat anything like bread, crackers, junk food, etc., but she will gladly snatch them up and bury them in my bed or in the couch.:rolleyes:

I bought some sample vegan dog food and they did eat it if I mixed it with wet food but it made their bowels a little loose,:eek: did you notice that with Princess?

My two love bread, crackers, crisps and pasta but I only give them tiny bits and they like mashed potatoes and chickpeas too.

Years ago when my son and grand children lived with me and Haley was still on the "ba ba", the young cats developed a real craving for her formula. Haley has a metabolic disorder and requires a special formula which is some of the nastiest tasting stuff on the planet. Evidently to kittens though, it was heavenly as they would find any bottles which were left out and chew off the nipples to get to that formula! I don't know how many of those plastic nipples my son had to buy! To this day when formula is left at the bottom of a cereal bowl, the cats go for it! The cats also like soy milk and I have a video somewhere of one of them trying to drink from a glass my husband had on the desk. Screamer also enjoys green beans and will swipe them off your plate if you aren't looking. Shady, the dog, loves potato peelings but only after they are cooked.

I have been crushing antibiotic pills for my dog daily for months, as she has to be on longterm therapy. I hide the crushed antibiotic in a piece of banana, or peanut butter. ,

Well, today I dropped the pill on the kitchen floor, and Pepper just scarfed it up. Lol.

My rabbits all fiend for bananas.

It's been suggested to me that they might also like Cheerios, so I'll probably buy some soon to find out.

Charlie cat loves brown rice puffs. And coconut milk from the can. It's probably not the best for him so I only let him lick a little off my fingers whenever I open a can for cooking.

I have been crushing antibiotic pills for my dog daily for months, as she has to be on longterm therapy. I hide the crushed antibiotic in a piece of banana, or peanut butter. ,

Well, today I dropped the pill on the kitchen floor, and Pepper just scarfed it up. Lol.
lol That's too funny

Reactions: ledboots
I bought some sample vegan dog food and they did eat it if I mixed it with wet food but it made their bowels a little loose,:eek: did you notice that with Princess?

My two love bread, crackers, crisps and pasta but I only give them tiny bits and they like mashed potatoes and chickpeas too.

Princess hasn't had issues with it. Her poos tend to be a bit loose if she's had too many fruits/veggies/beans though.

My mom always tries to sneak Princess bread, crackers, pizza crust, and chips even though she knows they'll just end up buried somewhere. :rolleyes: One year during Thanksgiving she gave her left over greasy turkey when I wasn't around. Later that night Princess vomitted it all up right in the middle of my bed!! :hurl:It was seriously one of the most disgusting (and smelliest) things ever. I think I will forever be traumatized by that event.

Starting with oldest kitty to youngest...
Gizmo loves all fruit including oranges, melted daiya, rice, tofurky, veggie soup broth and spicy foods. He can eat hotter foods than I can, but I try not to give him very much of it.
Tyler loves tofurky, melted daiya, warm baked goods, avocado, strawberry or vanilla soy yogurt, soy ice cream and vanilla soy or almond milk.
Chico is a bit pickier and only likes a little tofurky and melted daiya.

Bread
Broccoli
Chips/crackers
Anything creamy based like vegan mayo or dressings
Margarine

I'm always fighting the kitties off the counter, hand to paw combat, when fixing food. They are out of control. Sometimes a short lock down in the bedroom becomes necessary.

Reactions: Amy SF