Zoos

This is something I was thinking about asking the other day :)

I don't agree with zoo's unless ALL of their animals are only there for conservation, rescue or rehabilitation purposes. Theirs a sanctuary local to me where this is the case, and I'm happy to go there and spend money there to encourage that, but I just don't agree with anywhere that keeps wild animals purely for profit/entertainment or worse breeds them in captivity for that purpose. Or for that matter breeds domestic animals for that purpose.

There is a small breeding farm locally that is part of a local park, you can look at the animals (some of which are for sale) for free, and they have lots of different species of farm animals and also rabbits/etc. They look after them well, the conditions are really good and they're approved by the RSPCA welfare standards... and since I'm not paying to be there I sometimes look around at them. Sometimes I feel a bit bad - breeding animals like this isn't something I agree with... but then I wonder how is it different from me walking across a field to look at the animals? Since I'm not paying or contributing in any way. But hm it does give me pause for thought.

I totally agree with SR and animals shouldn't be used for any kind of profit. On the other hand, circuses are even worse and I always feel awful when I see them arriving with the poor animals.

People should be made more aware of the fact and find other distractions to entertain children.

There's a wildlife centre near my down-south home that I really like. It's non-profit, their goal is conservation and education, and the place is so massive that every animal has the space they need. Sometimes you'll walk around and hardly see an animal because they all have space to hide from people. It taught me a lot about respect for animals when I was little. Even when you don't see any animals, it's still awesome because the whole area is beautiful. It's the only zoo-type place I'd ever been to up until I was about 12, and I was really shocked to learn that they weren't all like it :(

Reactions: KLS52
There's a wildlife centre near my down-south home that I really like. It's non-profit, their goal is conservation and education, and the place is so massive that every animal has the space they need. Sometimes you'll walk around and hardly see an animal because they all have space to hide from people. It taught me a lot about respect for animals when I was little. Even when you don't see any animals, it's still awesome because the whole area is beautiful. It's the only zoo-type place I'd ever been to up until I was about 12, and I was really shocked to learn that they weren't all like it :(

:)

The only ones I support are the ones that take native animals who are injured or in danger of poaching/culling and rehabilitate/release or home for life in suitable enclosures. I do not support any that collect animals for showing and pretend to be into 'conservation'. Those zoos have never, not once, been successful in saving a wild population of any species. They dress it up as conservation but it's little more than a stationary circus.

I agree if it's for preservation purposes against shrinking habitat, poaching, etc. It also depends on how well the animals are treated, how big of a habitat they have, and quality of food.
However, I can't moralize too much about it because I've been to a few for-profit zoos and had an excellent time there. The animals seemed happy and playful. One of my favorite moments was when I got to see newborn jaguar cubs up close and personal. Apparently, their mother either abandoned them or were taken out by poachers. I'm not sure, really. They were hella cute, though

The only ones I support are the ones that take native animals who are injured or in danger of poaching/culling and rehabilitate/release or home for life in suitable enclosures. I do not support any that collect animals for showing and pretend to be into 'conservation'. Those zoos have never, not once, been successful in saving a wild population of any species. They dress it up as conservation but it's little more than a stationary circus.

+1.

How would one know if they 'pretend' or not then?

Agreed. I hated zoos as a kid. When I lived in Philly, friends and family would always want to visit the zoo there, and I said I couldn't, that it made me too sad to see the animals all caged up. I told them they could go on their own if they wished but that I would not be accompanying them.

I always loved going to zoos when I was growing up. The one in my town had free admission until I was in high school, so it was a common thing for my mom and grandma to take me there on an afternoon. I so loved seeing the animals.
It wasn't really until they started renovating to make better habitats that I realized how horrible the tiny old cages really were.
Anyway, after they started charging admission, we stopped going very often, but on the rare occasion that we would be traveling somewhere with a "good" zoo, my mom and I would go.

I continued visiting zoos and aquariums on my own or with friends when I was older, again while traveling.

At university, I was required to have an internship to graduate, and I did mine working a summer job in the horticultural department of a zoo about three hours away. (Since I had an interest in tropical plants, was assigned to the jungle exhibit. I loved being there early in the morning when the bird keepers were putting out fruit on the feeding platforms, and hearing the birds chirping. It was also my first "management" position, as that zoo had a work-release program with a local low-security prison, and the jungle had a permanently assigned inmate. :eek: )

The last time I went was when Husband and I were honeymooning on Hawaii. We went to both the zoo an the aquarium there.

Now I have a lot of internal conflict about them, as I understand they are not good, but I've got so many happy memories associated with time spent at zoos.

In fact, most of my coffee mugs are from zoo/aquarium gift shops. When I use the one with the pufferfish on it, I remember the road trip my friends and I took to New Orleans, and the day we spent at the aquarium. The mug with the leafy sea dragon reminds me of my honeymoon. The tree frog mug was from the last trip my mom and her fiancé made to see me before he passed away.

I do try to visit botanical gardens instead now!

I contacted the raptor foundation. They said that just over half of their animals are rescued, the others are bought. What does everyone think about visiting there? I am not happy about them buying the animals. But I imagine they are the ones that get the public in and paying and this money helps the rescued animals! Xxx

I do not like zoos of any kind i used to when i was a child and a meat eater until i saw the film Born Free. After that i could not veiw zoos in the same way. The zoo i used to go to was one that Zoo Check got a lot of complaints about but it remains open.