18+ yay or nay?

Should the rules exclude minors from signing up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For those who want to exclude minors, may I ask why?

It's not so much wanting to exclude minors, it's wanting to INCLUDE things like talking about sex in an adult way and having a more mature board than VB was. But it looks like we'll be able to do those things AND have under 18s so I have no issue with that. Though I really hope under 18s aren't allowed in the sexuality forum, or that we get another forum for just adults. Sometimes you want to talk about things knowing that a 13 year old isn't reading it.

Well let's at least give Karl some time and patience in deciding which direction HE wants his board to go. The moment he opens the door to 13 year-olds his moderation responsibilities increase dramatically and if he decides to go that route he'll probably want to get a team in place first. It's not just a matter of minors 'not minding' adult content or language, there's a liability issue as well. Keeping the board 18+ relieves a whole lot of burden in that regard.

^^ That was my thinking initially, that it would make things a lot easier. However, now that the board is fast becoming the message board for veg*ns of all flavours, I feel that I have responsibilities towards the younger crowd as well. So it is done. The rules and registration process have been updated and the NSFW usergroup has become moderated (i.e. a moderator, currently me, has to approve each request). That way I can decide to not let in brand new members as well, which will make it a bit more private. I reserve the right to deny anyone access that I don't feel comfortable letting in.

^^ That was my thinking initially, that it would make things a lot easier. However, now that the board is fast becoming the message board for veg*ns of all flavours, I feel that I have responsibilities towards the younger crowd as well. So it is done. The rules and registration process have been updated and the NSFW usergroup has become moderated (i.e. a moderator, currently me, has to approve each request). That way I can decide to not let in brand new members as well, which will make it a bit more private. I reserve the right to deny anyone access that I don't feel comfortable letting in.

Does that mean some under 18s will be allowed into the group to see the Sexuality forum?

If so, any chance we can get another sub forum that is exclusively for over 18s? It might be just me but I am really uncomfortable discussing sex knowing young teens could be reading it.

Does that mean some under 18s will be allowed into the group to see the Sexuality forum?

If so, any chance we can get another sub forum that is exclusively for over 18s? It might be just me but I am really uncomfortable discussing sex knowing young teens could be reading it.
No, I won't let teens in there. Minimum age requirement is 18. If there are teens in there already, or anyone you feel uncomfortable about, let me know.

Cool :thumbs up:

Just to re-iterate after FortyTwo's post earlier, I hope my posts haven't made any teens feel unwelcome as that isn't my intention at all, I just don't want to freak any young'uns out with discussion of my wobbly bits :p