27 Foods You Should Never Buy Again

The plastic that people "recycle" probably doesn't get recycled.

It's best to avoid buying things made of plastic, especially single-use items.

what would happen to it? Landfill?

Yes.
undecided.gif

Only 8 percent of the total plastic waste generated in 2010 was recovered for recycling.

doesn't this just mean that most of it is binned rather than put for recycling?

I put most of my bottles etc for recycling,and I would think that that would be part of the 8%.

Ah this article has me torn. On one hand, I agree with (most) of their reasoning, many of the foods are over-priced or unhealthy food masquerading as healthy by using words like "low fat" and padding out with sugar... but I disagree with the tone. It's just a little thing, but there's so much emphasis on healthy eating these days that somewhere along the way it became acceptable to make people feel small because they like unhealthy or convenient food.

This article isn't particularly bad or anything, but it's just something which annoys me! Things you "shouldn't" do are things that are immoral, or unkind... not eating white rice.

Yeah I agree. this article would be more agreeable if it was titled "28 money saving healthy tips".

Some are stupid though. Like "dont buy individual servings". Whats better, having 1 individual packet of crisps in the house that you just eat. Or, having a large size bag that'll go stale in a week so you have to eat them all. Or just dont have the willpower not to.

Same with the "make your own iced tea". I had one jar of powdered iced tea, and it lasted so long it ran past the sell by date. healthier than having a massive jug in the fridge I have to chug before it goes off!

re: bottled water. The tap water in my house is undrinkable. We live less than a mile from the water processing plant so it tastes like chemicals. If it is filtered and ice cold it is bareable. so I either do that or mix it with sugar free squash. Happy to drink other people's tap water though, just not mine haha. For work or if im out, I buy 1 bottle a week, and then just re-fill the bottle. I cannot get used to reuseable bottles they always taste mank to me, especially those metal sigg ones uuurgh. like someone else said, I'd rather someone buy bottled water than think "oh waters a waste of money, if I buy coke its better!!!".

Reactions: thefadedone
I agree with SummerRain and Liz. Also with the Everything in moderation motto. I think it's harmful and unhealthy to categorize certain foods as "good" and "bad" . With the exception of meat of course because death is never a good thing.

What actually impressed me about the article was the attempt at telling the omni readers of the article about certain foods being unhealthy that a lot of omnis wouldn't think of as unhealthy. But again, it can get confusing because, for example, "multigrain bread" is not inherently unhealthy. It's the bread made by mainstream brands you have to watch out for, but the natural brands can make multigrain breads that are okay. Readers should know the difference.

Reactions: SummerRain
What actually impressed me about the article was the attempt at telling the omni readers of the article about certain foods being unhealthy that a lot of omnis wouldn't think of as unhealthy. But again, it can get confusing because, for example, "multigrain bread" is not inherently unhealthy. It's the bread made by mainstream brands you have to watch out for, but the natural brands can make multigrain breads that are okay. Readers should know the difference.

there should just be labelling laws that could make distinguishing between the healthy, wholemeal, bread and clown-white-bread easier, if there aren't already, and people made aware of how to tell the difference.

Because of this thread, I made a big pot of tea, and put it in the fridge......don't ask me why.:shrug:

there should just be labelling laws that could make distinguishing between the healthy, wholemeal, bread and clown-white-bread easier, if there aren't already, and people made aware of how to tell the difference.

Because of this thread, I made a big pot of tea, and put it in the fridge......don't ask me why.:shrug:

Well, there are ingredients lists on the packaging, but a lot of people don't read those, and even if they do they don't always understand what they're reading. That's what distinguishes us weirdo veg*ans from the rest of society. :p

Yeah I agree. this article would be more agreeable if it was titled "28 money saving healthy tips".

:yes: It's a sensationalist headline, I suppose to grab peoples attention.

I think it's harmful and unhealthy to categorize certain foods as "good" and "bad" .

Definitely. It's so ingrained into societies outlook towards food most people don't even question it, it's a common theme in media and advertising... another pet hate.

:yes: It's a sensationalist headline, I suppose to grab peoples attention.

Definitely. It's so ingrained into societies outlook towards food most people don't even question it, it's a common theme in media and advertising... another pet hate.

Yup and it often leads to, unrealistic body image issues and unhealthy eating habits. This is one of the reason why I have no tolerance of the vegan processed food police or the anti-soy, anti-oil, anti-fat, etc groups . They are very loud and ramped in the vegan community. Always feeling the need to shame people for not eating "clean" foods.

:up:

So, it has rubbed off on you ?:D