Health Issues Air purifiers

IamJen

Forum Legend
Supporter
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone uses these, and has any recommendations/not. Our house is really dry in the winter months and both the man and the bean tend to have trouble with the dry air and dust, etc. I'm wondering if something in the bedroom might help the mister sleep better at night (maybe baby too). Do you use one with a Hepa filter, etc.?

Air filtration is a hot topic of concern among people who have parrots, because their respiratory systems are so sensitive. Parrot people will overwhelmingly tell you that Austin Air and Rabbit Air by far outshine other portable filtration systems. Pricey, though.

I use small portable air filters with HEPA and (additional) charcoal filters to help reduce odor from the rabbits. One in the rabbit room, and one in the bedroom, as Husband and I both have pretty bad allergies.

I really don't know how effective they are, but I do clean a lot of gunk out of those filters, and I'm happy that's less crap I'm breathing in. I also like the gentle noise of the one in the bedroom.

I don't think they'd help with air dryness, though. I also run a small humidifier in the bedroom (and move it around to other rooms for short periods of time), but like Ledboots mentioned, it has to be kept very clean.

Yes, you have to be very careful with mold growth in humidifiers and de-humidifiers both.

My daughter is crazy nuts with air purifiers. I'll find out which ones she uses.

FWIW, we have had humidifiers, and I think they helped. The first one just bit the dust because it was a cheap piece of crud, the second one we still have but has developed a leak somewhere that we can't quite find, and it's super hard to clean. We also have a vaporiser, but I only used it once when the bean was sick...it isn't adjustable and the room became like a sauna. Blech.

I'm not sure the problem is just dryness...I don't dust as near often as I should and we have wall to wall carpet, plus an array of books and various electronic equipment (thought not in the bedroom). IS is really sensitive to "stuff" (not sure what stuff, but stuff) that makes you congested. Freya is much the same way, maybe in part through genetics, but also because she's still small and that's just the way little people are made.

I can get snuffly, but it just tends not to bother my sleep as much as the other residents here.

Also, we did the water thing a bit in the past, but we really only have one radiator (in the living room) where we can set water. The bedroom ones are these sort of single plate deals...hard to desrcribe but no place to put water. The house I nannied at had some things that hung on the radiator and we just filled them with water...maybe I could hunt for those to help with the humidity issue at least.

The last couple of years the air quality here is sometimes really bad. (forest fire season). Lots of people I know have air purifiers. I may get one too.

Finding one for under $50 is challenging but you can easily find one under $100

Reactions: KLS52