Health Issues Alzheimer's disease/dementia

Also, there are several stages to Alzheimer's disease. The first is the most subtle.

Also, people such as my mother and father-in-law, who were very intelligent, are often able to "hide" it. They would steer conversations to topics they were "comfortable" with and avoid details. But I remember my ex-wife confronting her father one day and asking him pointed, specific questions such as, "what day is your anniversary?" or "where were you born?" and he was flummuxed.

I am scheduling an appointment with a neurologist. I am starting to display the same signs my mother had at this age, such as confusing my childrens' names (even though they are different genders). Also, people at work are starting to draw attention to my lapses in following through on tasks they assigned me that I have no recollection of. The good news is that my mother is still alive after 30 years, although she has no clue who I am, so the prognosis is a long, slow decline. Wish me luck.

Also, people such as my mother and father-in-law, who were very intelligent, are often able to "hide" it. They would steer conversations to topics they were "comfortable" with and avoid details. But I remember my ex-wife confronting her father one day and asking him pointed, specific questions such as, "what day is your anniversary?" or "where were you born?" and he was flummuxed.

I am scheduling an appointment with a neurologist. I am starting to display the same signs my mother had at this age, such as confusing my childrens' names (even though they are different genders). Also, people at work are starting to draw attention to my lapses in following through on tasks they assigned me that I have no recollection of. The good news is that my mother is still alive after 30 years, although she has no clue who I am, so the prognosis is a long, slow decline. Wish me luck.

I really wish you all the luck in the world. And the strength to get through her decline. I was talking to someone day about it being one of the cruelest of dieases . Cruel for the patient and equally cruel for the relative holding the hand of a ghost of someone they once knew.

Reactions: thefadedone

:hug: Good luck!

I really wish you all the luck in the world. And the strength to get through her decline. I was talking to someone day about it being one of the cruelest of dieases . Cruel for the patient and equally cruel for the relative holding the hand of a ghost of someone they once knew.

:sadnod:

Good luck Mr. Crunchy.

My grandfather suffered from AD . Luckily I had four years experience working in a nursing home with dementia patients so I was somewhat prepared. It was still awful to watch the person I once knew suddenly change into a stranger . It's such a mind ******* disease for the patient and caregiver.

In my old town, there was a nice man whose wife had early on set Alzheimer's. She was only in her early 30s. I never knew her before she had it, but apparently she got very ill very fast. It was sad to see, but her husband was so completely and absolutely devoted to her and her care.

Good luck to you!!!

Just finished the final battery of cognitive tests and had an MRI.

Good news is that it appears I am not in the early stages of Alzheimer's.

Bad news is the MRI indicated cerebral infarction, a.k.a stroke.

P.S. That is "good" news of a sort. Strokes are more treatable and preventable than Alzheimer's. Not that I'd wish a stroke on anyone, of course, but in the overall scheme of things, it is a better outcome.

My mother ultimately died of a stroke back March, so it's good I'm getting this checked out.

P.S. That is "good" news of a sort. Strokes are more treatable and preventable than Alzheimer's. Not that I'd wish a stroke on anyone, of course, but in the overall scheme of things, it is a better outcome.

My mother ultimately died of a stroke back March, so it's good I'm getting this checked out.
I'm glad you are getting it checked out as well.
Hope it all works out ok.

Just finished the final battery of cognitive tests and had an MRI.

Good news is that it appears I am not in the early stages of Alzheimer's.

Bad news is the MRI indicated cerebral infarction, a.k.a stroke.
Mr. C, scary! Better than Alzheimers, but... a stroke. Luckily you're veg*n, the healthiest diet for this condition. Best of luck, I'm glad you found out now.

The original link worked for me

That's not what I meant. The link does take one to a page that supposedly has the infograph PDF to download, but the PDF itself has since been removed, so the link to the PDF download doesn't work. It just takes you to a page that says it's no longer available. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Reactions: ledboots
That's not what I meant. The link does take one to a page that supposedly has the infograph PDF to download, but the PDF itself has since been removed, so the link to the PDF download doesn't work. It just takes you to a page that says it's no longer available. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Oh thanks Amy!

You know what? I screwed up. The PDF IS still there. I kept tapping the link I posted at the BOTTOM of my original post, and that links one to a page where the PDF can no longer be accessed. However, if you use the link at the BEGINNING of my post, that takes you directly to the PDF. So use that link, not the second one.

Reactions: ledboots