Health Issues Alzheimer's disease/dementia

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Know the 10 signs of Alzheimer's. This looks like a good PDF document to download: http://www.alz.org/dm/digital_displ...esigns_download/10signs_infographic_12-18.pdf

The takeaway from the infographic is that it is a red flag for dementia if there is a persistent pattern to any of the signs indicated. Occasionally forgetting the name of somebody you've known for years is a normal sign of aging. Completely forgetting the name and being unable to remember at all without help is a red flag. Forgetting the relationship of that person to you is an even bigger red flag.

Also, based on my experience with my father, who had Alzheimer's, remember that not everyone with dementia will display the signs in exactly the same way and experience mental and physical decline in exactly the same way. Just because the mother or grandfather of someone you know forgot their daughter's name a year after being diagnosed doesn't mean your own loved one will forget your name or someone else a year after being diagnosed. Dementia affects everyone differently. My father had trouble remembering my sister's name, but never forgot she was his daughter. And he never forgot my name at all. On the other hand, two years after a caregiver named Maria was hired, every time I visited when she was there, the minute I'd walk into the room he'd introduce me to her as if it was the first time. :p

Also, there are several stages to Alzheimer's disease. The first is the most subtle. There are red flags, but it's not yet obvious that the person has dementia unless somebody is observant and putting all the clues together. The second is the one where the person has "good" days and "bad" days. It's the stage that is the one most often portrayed in the media. The last is when there are no longer any "good" days. The person has declined to the point where they are bedridden, possibly cannot use the toilet without help or at all, has to be hand fed by others, and is the last stage before death. This last stage can be prolonged or short. Mercifully, with my dad it was relatively short.

The memory loss is that of short-term memory. In the last year of his life, my dad couldn't remember what he had for breakfast, but he remembered songs he sang when he was 13 years old. That's because memory is like an onion; it's in layers. Dementia destroys the outer layers until all that are left are the inner layers of memory.

Note: If you are blocked from downloading the PDF for some reason, you have to register on the site here: http://act.alz.org/site/PageNavigator/FY12_Know_The_Signs.html?z00m=20667413

I'm sorry that your dad suffered with Az's Amy as it is a tough road for the person and their family. How long did he live for after the diagnosis ? I hope you don't mind me asking.

I will definitely give this a read right now. I work in a nursing home and one of the 5 wings is the designated Alzheimer's wing. They have a special wing due to the fact that it's the only one that's closed off to prevent the residents from escaping/getting lost. I don't work directly with the residents due to working in the kitchen, but I do see the different levels that this disease affects them. One in particular can't really talk anymore, she just make weird sounds. I often wonder if she is actually trying to talk to us. Another one looks afraid all the time and she is convinced that her husband (who visits her every single day) is a dangerous stranger out to hurt her. She's only in her late 50's. These are just two examples of what I see.

I'm sorry that your dad suffered with Az's Amy as it is a tough road for the person and their family. How long did he live for after the diagnosis ? I hope you don't mind me asking.

About four and a half years, but it seemed much longer. :confused:

It's weird that you posted this as I was looking at information about dementia in cats today, one of my cats has been acting strangely, acting like she can't work out where her food bowl is and sitting outside the garden door instead of using the cat flap.

My grandfather had Alzheimer's Disease and he lost a lot of his daily functioning skills.

About four and a half years, but it seemed much longer. :confused:

I'm sure that it was a tough long road for all of you. They say that the later people are diagnosed and the less they live. A friend of mine who used to be a nurse in a retirement home also confirmed me this.

Sorry for your loss, Amy. (Though I guess it's not completely recent.)

There are several kinds of dementia though, and not all of them involve memory loss, I think. (Apologies if this was mentioned in the article - I haven't read it yet.)

And I'll tell you: Unless you were watching the person constantly and making copious notes, some red flags won't even be obvious until after the diagnosis. Even today, almost three years after my dad died, I still think about his behavior and stuff he said and wonder what was related to his Alzheimer's and what was part of the normal aging process. :iiam:

Sorry for your loss, Amy. (Though I guess it's not completely recent.)

There are several kinds of dementia though, and not all of them involve memory loss, I think. (Apologies if this was mentioned in the article - I haven't read it yet.)

I thought memory loss was the one constant amongst the different dementias. Before his memory loss became more pronounced, my father developed problems walking even before he was diagnosed, but he was a doctor and he had heart disease, so he blamed his inability to walk properly on the statins his cardiologist put him on. I guess we'll never know if that was true or it was the Alzheimer's. Or just regular aging, which is what the rest of us thought at the time.

It's weird that you posted this as I was looking at information about dementia in cats today, one of my cats has been acting strangely, acting like she can't work out where her food bowl is and sitting outside the garden door instead of using the cat flap.

My grandfather had Alzheimer's Disease and he lost a lot of his daily functioning skills.

I have also read that pets can suffer with dementia. Poor things, as it must be so hard for them to understand where they are or what they should do.

My grandfather died of Alzheimer's disease. He probably had an early onset version of the disease, but doctors refused to take him/my nan seriously for a long time saying he was too young for it (in his 60s). It was an awful end and I wouldnt wish that way to go on anyone or their family. I'm not sure how many years he lived for as I'm not too good with dates.

My grandfather died of Alzheimer's disease. He probably had an early onset version of the disease, but doctors refused to take him/my nan seriously for a long time saying he was too young for it (in his 60s). It was an awful end and I wouldnt wish that way to go on anyone or their family. I'm not sure how many years he lived for as I'm not too good with dates.

:hug: I hate it when somebody who doesn't fit the "demographic" of a certain disease has that disease, and doctors and others are in denial about it. These poor people should have the benefit of the doubt, not scoffed at just because they're "too young" or "too old" or whatever. I read about a young American woman in her 20's who was diagnosed with breast cancer but couldn't get insurance coverage for treatment of it because she was deemed "too young" to have breast cancer. She eventually went to Canada under a false identity to get treatment and coverage for it.

I feel sorry for the carers as well with this condition as it must be very stressful to have to see someone you love deteriorate like that. My grandmother had to care for my grandad before he died and that must be difficult if you remember them in that way instead of the person they were. My grandad had been an accountant so he was very sharp witted while he was in his working life but after retirement he seemed to go downhill.

I have also read that pets can suffer with dementia. Poor things, as it must be so hard for them to understand where they are or what they should do.

It is sad. I read about dementia in felines and I actually don't think she has it from the description so I have no idea why she is acting a bit strangely.

I feel sorry for the carers as well with this condition as it must be very stressful to have to see someone you love deteriorate like that. My grandmother had to care for my grandad before he died and that must be difficult if you remember them in that way instead of the person they were. My grandad had been an accountant so he was very sharp witted while he was in his working life but after retirement he seemed to go downhill.

It is sad. I read about dementia in felines and I actually don't think she has it from the description so I have no idea why she is acting a bit strangely.

Moll, I don't want to get too off topic, but has your cat gone to the vet?

Moll, I don't want to get too off topic, but has your cat gone to the vet?

She went to the vet a few months ago as she had a cut paw, she doesn't have the symptoms of dementia from what I looked online, I'm not sure if has to do with the cat enclosure as that is the only change in her life? She isn't that old either, only about 8. It probably isn't dementia, I just got the idea in my head today as she is being a bit weird.

She went to the vet a few months ago as she had a cut paw, she doesn't have the symptoms of dementia from what I looked online, I'm not sure if has to do with the cat enclosure as that is the only change in her life? She isn't that old either, only about 8. It probably isn't dementia, I just got the idea in my head today as she is being a bit weird.

Just getting older, probably.

Okay, back on topic, and speaking of cats...

Pet therapy is a good idea for people with dementia. I remember when my sister brought her dog to visit our parents, our dad really responded to her. She made him perk up and be fully alert and responsive. The next door neighbors had a dog, also, and when we were coming back from a doctor's appointment once, the kids were outside playing with the dog, and my dad got fascinated by the dog. He stood and watched and wouldn't go into the house right away. The kids were nice and brought the dog over for my dad to pet and enjoy for a few minutes. So pet therapy is highly recommended.

Reactions: ledboots
Just getting older, probably.

Okay, back on topic, and speaking of cats...

Pet therapy is a good idea for people with dementia. I remember when my sister brought her dog to visit our parents, our dad really responded to her. She made him perk up and be fully alert and responsive. The next door neighbors had a dog, also, and when we were coming back from a doctor's appointment once, the kids were outside playing with the dog, and my dad got fascinated by the dog. He stood and watched and wouldn't go into the house right away. The kids were nice and brought the dog over for my dad to pet and enjoy for a few minutes. So pet therapy is highly recommended.

More and more long care facilites have dogs which have a soothing effect on people that are lonely and ill. Even if you're not ill, dogs do have a magical effect on most (normal) people.

Reactions: Amy SF
More and more long care facilites have dogs which have a soothing effect on people that are lonely and ill. Even if you're not ill, dogs do have a magical effect on most (normal) people.

When my dad was in a nursing home with Altzeimers they had a lady who brought her dog in every week, the reaction of the patients was amazing they would become animated and excited , almost falling over each other to get to stroke the dog.

My own dad would be as bad as the rest but when she had gone he would keep asking about his own dogs which by this time had long passed away. He had missed his own dog very much when he first went into the home. I think that people forget that going into care means not only leaving your family but also your pets.

I

Know the 10 signs of Alzheimer's. This looks like a good PDF document to download: http://www.alz.org/dm/digital_displ...esigns_download/10signs_infographic_12-18.pdf

Also, based on my experience with my father, who had Alzheimer's, remember that not everyone with dementia will display the signs in exactly the same way and experience mental and physical decline in exactly the same way. Just because the mother or grandfather of someone you know forgot their daughter's name a year after being diagnosed doesn't mean your own loved one will forget your name or someone else a year after being diagnosed. Dementia affects everyone differently
'
Yes there really are no hard and fast rules. My dad at the point that he was barely capable of remembering his last sentence was sent for an assessment for Alzheimers and failed miserably on all the questions relating to recent events..ie who is the Queen, what day is it etc but..

when the consultant pointed to me and said 'and who is this lady?' my dad turned to him with a hostile glare and said 'its my daughter Lesley of course! didnt she tell you so when she came in?' o_O

Last edited:
Anyone suspecting AD should go to a neurologist for diagnosis. Other, treatable problems can mimic AD and often docs not trained in the workings of the brain can't tell the difference.