Advertisement
  1. We have a moderator position available, click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone make seitan?

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Nekodaiden, May 1, 2018.

1. Nekodaiden

Nekodaiden Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Looking for a DIY recipe from either the whole grain itself of wholegrain flour. I tried one I found online and my Seitan was a failure after trying their method.

Please only post a link if you've had success with it, or post your own method.

My interest is in starting with the whole grain, or the whole grain flour, not vital wheat gluten.

2. Forest Nymph
    Scurvy

Forest Nymph Active Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -11
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Sorry I'm not sure that's going to work. Vital wheat gluten works like a charm though. It's higher in protein and has a binding quality that whole grain flour doesn't have.

3. Veganite
    Sunshine

Veganite Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -2
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I also use vital wheat gluten for my seitan, when I do make it, but I have read recipes online with whole wheat flour that must obviously work. I suspect the kneading process would be a bit more critical with whole wheat. I think vital wheat gluten breaks down easier, which requires less kneading, with less technique. The biggest problems I see happening would be either an inconsistent moisture content, being either too much or lacking in liquid. Most recipes I find are just an approximation, which could go either way. If it's dry, you add more liquid, and if it's too wet, you add more flour.

My suggestion would be attempting several small batches until you iron out your technique, successfully. I find with vital wheat gluten I can now pretty much do it by feel and appearance. I'm pretty sure I'd find whole wheat the same with a bit of practice. It's really just a matter of mixing the right amount of liguid to flour, and kneading it properly. I know climate can play a roll with some doughs proofing, but in my own experience, I've not found this a problem.

The above technique works for me. As they say, if at first you don't succeed, try try again. You will get it, eventually.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Emma JC
    Joyful

Emma JC Active Member

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Avantegarden has a lot of youtube videos that show him making seitan. Maybe it would be helpful to watch his. He does emphasize the kneading is crucial. I have not made anything myself.

https://www.avantgardevegan.com/

Emma JC

• Like Like x 1
  5. windrose

windrose Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Gaz Oakleys BBQ Ribs are very good (Seitan) Though not close to real ribs l have found that making his ribs then cutting them into strips or chunks and using them to compliment a dish and not as the main coarse. I used my food processor to knead the dough then you really have to beat it out as it is very elastic.