B12

Evee

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I've been vegitarian for about a year and a half and vegan for another year and a half. Recently I've been feeling really dizzy and nauseated. I don't take B12 supplements but I just ordered some. I don't know if I should go see a doctor and ask for blood tests. What should I do I'm scared that I could have anemia and that they'll discourage me from being vegan if something is really wrong with me. Has anyone experiencd this? If so how did it go?

It could be a number of things. If you are eating foods fortified with b12 I doubt that's the problem. What have you been eating? It could be that you're not eating enough, you're dehydrated, you have a cold, you could be pregnant, etc. Also anemia has to do with low iron and not b12.

Reactions: Lou
If you are feeling sick you should see a doctor. It might not even be diet related. You could be pregnant, or have HIV, or cancer, or an infection, or Legionnaires. You could have anemia. Many non-vegans get that too. Especially females.

An iron test is super simple. You can even get a kit that does it at home for like $20. or even better go donate blood. They always test your iron before they draw blood. I go give blood every other month. And I am always borderline anemic - even before I was vegetarian.

Taking an iron and a vitamin supplement is the easiest solution. Iron in really large doses can be toxic but your body does a pretty good job of excreting excess iron. Even tho I'm borderline anemic, iron supplements don't agree with me. so I just take a multi with a little iron and make sure I eat good stuff like dark greens and beans. (and apricots).