Advertisement
  1. We have a moderator position available, click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

Best type of vegan cheese?

Discussion in 'Food' started by Sho, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Sho

Sho Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    In your opinion? So the first vegan cheese I purchased was Daiya shredded cheese I had seen videos on YouTube swearing by it. Well I found it awful and it didn’t melt. I switched to chao and was able to enjoy grilled cheese and thought it was good. Well a few days ago I tried the follow your heart smoked Gouda flavor and I was in love. It smells like cheese it tastes like cheese. I was pleasantly surprised. I am going to try the follow your heart mozzarella. I think after trying their slices I wouldn’t go back to chao

2. Veganite
    Lurking

Veganite Super Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 1 / -2
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Miyoko's cheeses are really good. I've only tried the mozza on some pizza, but it was fabulous.

3. hopeful
    Creative

hopeful Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I have been really wondering about Miyoko's. I want to try it, but I hate when I buy something and it turns out to be not so good. Maybe I will give it a go, considering all the good things people say about it. I have wondered about Follow Your Heart too, but I haven't seen any around where I live, I don't think. (I looked Miyoko's up, and there is a place that sells it pretty nearby.)

4. Veganite
    Lurking

Ratings:
    +152 / 1 / -2
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    It's also not cheap. To be honest I rarely use these type of products, anyways. However, good pizza is a huge treat to me. Since I don't have pizza often, I will make an exception for that. To me, for this purpose, Miyoko's is worth every penny. It's the best vegan cheese I've tried on pizza yet. If anyone knows of a better one I would really like to know.

I am not a huge fan of Daiya cheese flavour. Their newer ones are a bit better tasting, but there's better brands out there in my opinion. I've never tried Follow Your Heart, but I know Field Roast's Chao is very good tasting, especially for that classic grilled cheese. It might work sliced on pizza, but it's not really made for that. Until I find a better one, Miyoko's is going on my pizza.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. hopeful
    Creative

hopeful Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    That does it. I am getting some Miyoko's. If really used to like pizza with cheese, so I think it's worth a try!

Thank you for your review!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sho

Sho Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I just saw miyokos for the first time at whole foods and it was $10.99. It seemed super expensive. I will pick some up sometime though.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Veganite
    Lurking

Ratings:
    +152 / 1 / -2
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I think you'll both really enjoy Miyoko's, but please remember, it's still not going to be exactly the same as real mozza. For flavour though, Miyoko's is by far my favorite. Some people like Daiya...I'm just not one of them. It's all a matter of opinion is all I'm trying to say.

With companies like Beyond Meat that are developing plant-based meats that taste and feel like the real thing, it is only a matter of time before someone perfects vegan cheeses. The vegan market is growing exponentially. The demand is certainly there.

• Like Like x 1
  8. amberfunk

amberfunk Active Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 2 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I love follow your heart and chao. Gouda, grated parmesan, and provolone by follow your heart are awesome. I've only tried the original creamy chao and absolutely love it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Grayveggie
    Barefooter

Grayveggie Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegetarian
    I’ve recently become addicted to Chao slices!!!!!!:cool::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  10. PrettyBarbie

PrettyBarbie Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Miyoko's is good for me, though I don't like cheese much

• Like Like x 1
  11. Emma JC
    Joyful

Emma JC Active Member

Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Earth Island is my favourite now - that is their name in Canada, I believe they are Follow Your Heart elsewhere. They also do Vegenase and other things that I haven't used. I buy the cheddar shreds and the mozzarella block and use sparingly.
    https://followyourheart.com/canada/

Emma JC

• Like Like x 1
  12. nobody

nobody Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I have only tried Field Roast Creamy Original Chao Slices and GoVeggie Vegan American Singles. I like Chao a lot but GoVeggie was the worst thing I ever ate. I cannot believe how bad it is. If you see this package, run away:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lou
    Psychedelic

Lou Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    However, I think GoVeggie grated parmesan cheese topping is excellent.

14. Lou
    Psychedelic

Lou Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Ok, my 2¢
    when I was transitioning to veganism I tried just about every kind of fake cheese and didn't like them much. Back then there were not so many alternatives.

I would rather have a pizza without cheese than with Daiya mozzarella. But I found I could mix Daiya's cheddar blend with my burrito mix. but now I don't even use that.

The thing about most of these fake cheeses is they are mostly vegetable oil and not very healthy. Mostly fat and very little anything else.

I do like GoVeggie grated parmesan dairy-free cheese topping.

I would like to try Miyokos' because I keep hearing about it. But it IS very expensive. She has a cookbook you can buy for the price of a pound of cheese. That might be a good investment.
    https://miyokoskitchen.com/products/artisan-vegan-cookbook
    Some bookstores sell the book for $10

I did find Miyokos' recipe for mozzarella on the internet. Planning on trying someday. I do like some Mozz on my pizzas.
    https://www.artisanveganlife.com/a-better-buffalo-mozzarella/

I also heard good stuff about Chao Slices and I bought some and I like it a lot. I made a vegan cheeseburger with it yesterday. But I'm not sure I can eat it often enough before it goes bad. But I will try. And probably like trying.

I have had a lot of success with making my own homemade vegan cheese. My favorite is this Moxarella recipe that comes with a bonus pizza recipe. Although i like my pizza recipe better. I like this Moxarella a lot.
    http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/how-to-make-fresh-vegan-moxarella-cheese/

OneGreenPlanet has the best vegan cheese recipes.

15. nobody

nobody Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    [​IMG]
    I have used that before for spaghetti and didn't have a problem with it and used it all up. But since everyone is saying Follow Your Heart slices are so great, this stuff is probably a lot better:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lou
    Psychedelic

Lou Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan

I will try it next time. Just from the photo, Its texture looks better

17. Veganite
    Lurking

Ratings:
    +152 / 1 / -2
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    This may be slightly off topic, but the best kitchen tool I've ever bought was vacuum sealer. I bought a commercial style one, but even a cheap Food Saver will in fact save you money, especially with things like Chao cheese slices.

I bought mine about 20 years ago and it still works perfectly. It's great for vacuum sealing and freezing everything from fresh picked berries to your favorite seitan jerky or whatever. You can actually shrink stuff down and weather -proof it for camping, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lou
    Psychedelic

Lou Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Good idea. I love kitchen gadgets. And now I'm asking myself why I don't have a Food Saver?

19. Lou
    Psychedelic

Lou Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
  20. Lou
    Psychedelic

Lou Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    One final thought. If I had a nickel for every time someone said, "I would be vegan but for the cheese."
    Well, I probably could afford some Miyoko's kitchen brand vegan cheese.

Seems like that is one more excuse that can be put to bed.