US Bone-char-free/Vegan craft soda finds

4animal4

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I'm very much a soda enthusiast (the same way a lot of people are with beers or wines) but I also personally watch out for sugar produced with bone char. I keep a list and thought it'd be best not just sitting in my files. I'll edit when I can.

This is not a list of healthy sodas, or sodas that have been certified vegan and contamant-free, or sodas that don't use chemicals tested on animals.
These are sodas that as far as I can tell, buying does not lead to avoidable animal suffering.
Please read ingredients and use your own judgement on whatever you buy and take this with a grain of salt.
Information may be outdated.

This is mostly sodas that I've seen in the US.
Certified vegan by respectable organizations:
  • Olipop
  • Rocky Mountain
  • Maine Root
  • Poppi
  • Culture Pop
Claimed to be vegan by the manufacturer:
  • Jones
  • Wild Bill's
  • Virgil's (although it is produced by the same company as Reed's Ginger Beer containing honey)
  • The following Bundaberg flavors: Lemon, Lime & Bitters, Diet Lemon, Lime Bitters, Burgundee Creaming Soda, Traditional lemonade, Guava, Blood Orange, Peach, Passionfruit and Pineapple & Coconut.
  • Fentimans soft drinks (except Lemon Shandy)
  • Pepsi made with Real Sugar
Sodas that I have confirmed do not use bone char:
  • Hank's (contacted the company)
  • Joe Tea (contacted the company, although technically not soda)
Sodas with beet sugar, organic/unbleached/vegan cane sugar, made in countries without bone char, or other exceptions:
  • Dr Pepper Made with Sugar (Website says the sugar used is Imperial brand, and Imperial's website says they do not use bone char)
  • Solo (Made in Australia)
  • Dalston's (Uses beet sugar)
  • Cherry Republic (Uses beet sugar)

• IRN BRU
-END OF "LIKELY VEGAN" SODAS. PROCEED WITH CAUTION-

Sodas that don't say Cane Sugar on the label:
  • Ale-8-One
  • Mexican 7-UP
  • Mexican Squirt (both Gepp brand (tall bottle, made with sucralose) and Dr Pepper brand (twisty bottle))
  • Sangaria brand Ramune
Sodas that might be vegan:
  • Stubborn Soda (See below 👇)
  • Mountain Dew Real Sugar (made by Pepsi, presumably with the same sugar as Pepsi Real Sugar)
  • Kutztown Soda Works (Uses Domino sugar according to email, most likely from Baltimore or Yonkers plants based on proximity, neither of which use bone char)
  • Red Ribbon (Changes suppliers often but prefers not to use bone char, as of January 2024 does not)
  • Flying Cauldron Butterscotch Beer (Some sources say it is made with Unbleached Cane Sugar. It is also made by the same company as Virgil's)
  • Dublin Bottling Works (Most likely also uses Imperial since before recent legal action they were the sole producers of Real Sugar Dr Pepper, and then was advertised as using Imperial)
  • Any of these Organic sodas (as long as there are no animal ingredients such as Honey)
NOT VEGAN: Orca Beverages products such as Dad’s, Bedford’s, Cock n Bull, Americana, Sioux City (uses C&H Sugar which is likely processed with bone char wherever they get it shipped from.) & Boylan’s (uses Bone Char according to email.
Sugar from Britain, India, Australia, and most of the EU or Canada is not processed with bone char according to some reliable sources.
I am awaiting a response from Indian Wells Brewing Company who bottles sodas licensed by Rocket Fizz.

Please use the comments for suggested additions/removals/changes, information, questions, and comments related to the list itself instead of debating over health/chemical testing/bone char/labor.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Lou
Did you investigate the coloring added to soda.
This info might be out of date but I remember something about a lot of the brown/red/orange sodas use beetles to color their sodas.

when I stopped drinking beer I started drinking soda as a substitute. but I only allow myself one soda a day (or less).
For a while I've been drinking Zevia Ginger Root beer. No sugar and no colorings.

Did you investigate the coloring added to soda.
This info might be out of date but I remember something about a lot of the brown/red/orange sodas use beetles to color their sodas.

when I stopped drinking beer I started drinking soda as a substitute. but I only allow myself one soda a day (or less).
For a while I've been drinking Zevia Ginger Root beer. No sugar and no colorings.
Carmine is red and made out of crushed beetles, it is not very common in the US as Red 40 is cheaper and kosher, and it's not in any of the sodas listed, but when it is used, it's labeled as an ingredient (I'm pretty sure as "Carmine" instead of "Red _" too, since it's not a synthetic dye).
Edit: Cochineal can be another name for it.
Again, take that with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Oh, btw, which is your favorite?
Any Jones flavor, Fentiman's Rose Lemonade, or Mountain Dew Real Sugar.

I also love Faygo Firework and Cherry 7-Up (which aren't on the list because they have High Fructose Corn Syrup, so bone char is not a concern with them)

Last edited:
Carmine is red and made out of crushed beetles, it is not very common in the US as Red 40 is cheaper and kosher, and it's not in any of the sodas listed, but when it is used, it's labeled as an ingredient (I'm pretty sure as "Carmine" instead of "Red _" too, since it's not a synthetic dye).
Again, take that with a grain of salt.
I'm in the US and while I don't see it on things I buy, I do find carmine or cochineal as coloring in candies and colored drinks.
Trader Joes is bad for that! Something near the checkout that should have been vegan had cochineal, and I've found others as well

I'm in the US and while I don't see it on things I buy, I do find carmine or cochineal as coloring in candies and colored drinks.
Trader Joes is bad for that! Something near the checkout that should have been vegan had cochineal, and I've found others as well
Weird! Not that it justifies Trader Joes using it but I think because it's not synthetic is the reason they would have it there.
Although if people knew what it was I think they wouldn't call it "clean food". Just the stuff from a lab for me, thanks.

I'm having second thoughts about Jones soda since they now sell "Dog Soda" made with chicken or beef stock but still claim all flavors are vegan.