Bugs - Not for the Squeamish

More moths!

white-plume-moth-20130722-0001.jpg

white-plume-moth-20130722-0002.jpg

White Plume Moth.

Thanks FortyTwo! Haha...I guess I was being a little dramatic when I said huge, but it was definitely the size of a monarch or swallowtail which is what surprised me for a moth. :)

Thanks FortyTwo! Haha...I guess I was being a little dramatic when I said huge, but it was definitely the size of a monarch or swallowtail which is what surprised me for a moth. :)

Yeah, moths are less wispy and more... I don't know... solid I guess, would be a good way to describe it. Butterflies are almost ethereal, more dainty. When a gigantic moth shows up, it's like HI I'M A MOTH and it's kind-of like having a winged mouse drop by for a visit.

Calling beanstew...is this a moth? It's HUGE but it's not like any butterfly I've ever seen. It has a big furry body. I love it! :)

View attachment 3215

I think FortyTwo identified your moth. I think it's definitely one of the native giant silkworm moths- maybe a Cecropia if not a Polyphemus? (I get those two mixed up sometimes if I haven't looked at a picture lately, but if I remember right, a Cecropia is more reddish or orange than your moth there).

(Mothra is my all-time favorite monster)

Reactions: FortyTwo and KLS52
I think FortyTwo identified your moth. I think it's definitely one of the native giant silkworm moths- maybe a Cecropia if not a Polyphemus? (I get those two mixed up sometimes if I haven't looked at a picture lately, but if I remember right, a Cecropia is more reddish or orange than your moth there).

(Mothra is my all-time favorite monster)

pcecmoth.jpg

Cecropia are pretty much the same size and occasionally the same coloration, but the markings on their wings are different. Still pretty all the same.

Mothra is my favorite too by the way, even if I don't know what her little people are talking about half the time and let's be honest they did a terrible job with the green screens in Godzilla vs. Mothra, like if they had just done whatever they did with Battra it would have been fine but that doesn't excuse the existence of the Cosmos' storyline anyway!

Reactions: Tom L. and KLS52
That is very cool...and creepy...but cool.