Christmas cooking: What will you be making?

Mm all your ideas sound amazing. It's my first Christmas without family this year. Really not sure what I will do. The *friends* I have here are not exactly vegan-accommodating--more the kind that ask the same kinds of omni questions again and again and then offer cheese. *sigh*

That sounds a number of social gatherings I have been to. One at the start of the year, I could only eat one thing on the mains menu : ) .

It does. I have seen a few variations on that recipe. One year I might make it.

Yep. I like the roulade too. I am considering making some sort of roulade, or perhaps a stuffed butternut squash or something.

Reactions: PTree15
This! Mind blowing delicious..
http://turmericsaffron.blogspot.com/2011/01/persian-jeweled-rice-javaher-polow.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/21/dining/persian-jeweled-rice-recipe.html

This recipe is very forgiving. I've substituted dried cranberries and orange marmalade and have never been able to locate dried rose petals (which would be lovely if they could be found). Saffron can be expensive, but I have a little trick- I buy a small packet of yellow rice mix, dump out the rice, and use the saffron powder found at the bottom of the bag to sprinkle into the rice after it's been cooked. Gives it a beautiful color and flavor. Seriously,this stuff is insanely delicious and makes a gorgeous presentation. This year, I would like to try cutting a Gardien holiday roast into strips, sautee' in a little onion and add this into the rice mix.
Another version that's also delicious:

http://turmericsaffron.blogspot.com/2010_11_01_archive.html

AND:

If only there were a way to veganize this: I loved it back in the omni days served with hot white rice. Any ideas?
http://turmericsaffron.blogspot.com/2009/12/pomegranate-walnut-chicken-stew-khoresh.html

Sally, that rice looks delicious and so pretty. I will try and make it one day.

I must admit I am a bit naughty with my paella, it calls for saffron to yellow the rice, and I cheat by dissolving one teaspoon of turmeric in 1/3 of a cup of water. I call it "Poor man's saffron." :)

I actually made my paella on Tuesday, still have a little left for tonight.

Reactions: ledboots
As for the other dish, I often struggle myself to substitute it. Some suggestions: oyster mushrooms, tofu pieces, bits of potato.

Reactions: sallyomally
Sally, that rice looks delicious and so pretty. I will try and make it one day.

I must admit I am a bit naughty with my paella, it calls for saffron to yellow the rice, and I cheat by dissolving one teaspoon of turmeric in 1/3 of a cup of water. I call it "Poor man's saffron." :)

I actually made my paella on Tuesday, still have a little left for tonight.
I use turmeric, too! I read in the ingredients list once of a Spanish yellow rice mix, and it said turmeric, and no saffron or dyes were listed, so voila! :) I haven't made paella in an age, but I make black beans and yellow rice often, with my turmeric! ;)

Reactions: PTree15 and Freesia
I know! I dont know why more cookbooks dont let people onto this secret! I think I originally made Indian Pilau rice with it, and then when I was making paella I didnt have any saffron and I wondered if the same principle applied.

I know! I dont know why more cookbooks dont let people onto this secret! I think I originally made Indian Pilau rice with it, and then when I was making paella I didnt have any saffron and I wondered if the same principle applied.

Turmeric will certainly give you the colour but not the taste. If you make paella once a year, it really
is worth buying a few strands as it has a wonderful flavour.:)

It probably does. I will try it one day. I just settle for a mix of smoked paprika and hungarian paprika, thyme and oregano for my everyday version. I make it relatively often.

Ah. That's interesting. One thing about saffron;even thought it can be expensive a little goes a long way. I was spoiled when I was married;my ex used to bring lots of it home when he would visit his parents in Iran. I never realized how pricey it was in the states till years later.