Christmas cooking: What will you be making?

That sounds great! I have thought about chestnuts but it is summer here, they are usually available around April or something like that. And they only grow down south so sometimes they dont get here at all.

I dont tend to see them at christmas anyway. I made a pumpkin and chestnut nut loaf last year in about March or something..

I saw an interesting recipe the other day of a chocolate mousse dessert using chestnut puree as the main ingredient.

That sounds great! I have thought about chestnuts but it is summer here, they are usually available around April or something like that. And they only grow down south so sometimes they dont get here at all.

I dont tend to see them at christmas anyway. I made a pumpkin and chestnut nut loaf last year in about March or something..

I saw an interesting recipe the other day of a chocolate mousse dessert using chestnut puree as the main ingredient.

It is quite popular overhere to make chocolate and chesnut desserts but I don't think that the two
flavours pair well.

Yes, one of my cookbooks has a chestnut mousse but it seems to be more vanilla/cinamon type flavoured. Perhaps that is better. I have never had chestnut in dessert form.

Actually, last year was the first time i had had any chestnut in my entire life.

Yes, one of my cookbooks has a chestnut mousse but it seems to be more vanilla/cinamon type flavoured. Perhaps that is better. I have never had chestnut in dessert form.

Actually, last year was the first time i had had any chestnut in my entire life.

I would have also suggested vanilla which is perfect with chestnuts.

Hmmm. one day if i see some I might try and make a vanilla dessert. I also have agar too. I should make a panna cotta or something.

We never did Christmas Dinner in my family, my mom would make a special breakfast and the rest of the day we would fill up on all the candy Santa had left us. The boy's family would do cinnamon rolls and then pack it all up to do a huge family dinner at his aunt's house.

So, neither of us are used to cooking dinner, so we're going to keep it that way. :p We are making blueberry buckle for breakfast, then candy and snacks throughout the day.

Reactions: Freesia
Well I am still stuck on what to cook. I have been feeling a bit depressed/tired/unenthusiastic about this particular Christmas for many reasons, and it has not helped give me cooking enthusiasm. I am toying with making the same nut/lentil loaf as last time with some gravy. I also am trying to think of dessert too. I dont want anything too sugary.

I got my Match Meats crab cakes and stuffed roast...can't wait to try them!
We'll have the usual sweet potatoes and mashed, asparagus, green bean bake, glazed carrots...not sure what I'll make for dessert yet. I really wanted to make a Christmas pudding. I suppose I still can...

Reactions: Freesia
Well I am still stuck on what to cook. I have been feeling a bit depressed/tired/unenthusiastic about this particular Christmas for many reasons, and it has not helped give me cooking enthusiasm. I am toying with making the same nut/lentil loaf as last time with some gravy. I also am trying to think of dessert too. I dont want anything too sugary.

Let's see whether we can help you out Fressia. :) Is the weather very warm in NZ ? What kind of ingredients
do you like ? As for dessert, do you like chilled or warm puddings ?

I got my Match Meats crab cakes and stuffed roast...can't wait to try them!
We'll have the usual sweet potatoes and mashed, asparagus, green bean bake, glazed carrots...not sure what I'll make for dessert yet. I really wanted to make a Christmas pudding. I suppose I still can...

Let us know how the crab cakes go! And the roast. The vegetables and pudding sound cool too : ) .

Let's see whether we can help you out Fressia. :) Is the weather very warm in NZ ? What kind of ingredients
do you like ? As for dessert, do you like chilled or warm puddings ?

Yes it is really hot right now! It is a weird kind of heat. Kind of like being in a really hot sauna which is constantly spraying you with coconut fat so you are sort of greasy. Hair hangs limply and clothes stick to you. When you have a shower you feel clean for a few seconds, and then when you are drying yourself the heat hits you and you are all sticky and greasy again, like you never showered. All in good fun though :) .

As for dessert, I am not sure what I will do. Chilled or warm are both fine, strangely here we still sometimes put on traditional winter foods. A few options atm: a berry fruit salad, a pumpkin cake, or maybe a banana loaf.

For mains: I am looking for something that goes with stuffing and roasted vegetables which will be on the table. I am almost sold on the loaf from last year, mainly because I cant be bothered thinking of anything else. It was really delicious though....

Cute cakes, SuicideBlonde, and the ham sounds cool, let me know how it goes : ) .

Swamp Dweller, that sounds like a really nice spread esp the cherry pie...

I did a lentil loaf too, I am trying to upload a pic of it but am having problems getting the photos off my phone... anyway will post pics soon.