Crazy thought

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I know this is going to sound crazy. Maybe even a little callous.

This morning as I was perusing the news I saw another story on another pork plant shutting down. After closer inspection, it was three. It seems like a day doesn't go by without a meat plant shutting down or a dairy farm going bankrupt.

Meanwhile, it seems like every day a plant meat startup is born. Or a nondairy product hits the market.

Between the Coronavirus, global warming consciousness, and the alternative plant food industry - is this the beginning of the end of the meat and dairy industries?

My guess is that while the news might indicate an imminent, compulsory decline in meat consumption, it will not become a lasting change unless the plant based companies ramp up production to fill the void that is coming. It could be a once in a lifetime opportunity for them to introduce hardcore meat and dairy consumers to their products. However, I would strongly urge those of use who already know and love animal product substitutes to buy some for the freezer and stock up on vital wheat gluten, chick pea flour and raw cashews now while you can!

Last edited:
No need to hoard beans. Beans, grains, and root vegetables are planted, harvested and processed almost entirely by machinery (just a few people operating the big planter and harvester machines). Covid-19 shouldn’t affect their availability. Meat processing requires people, which is why the meat plants are being affected.

No need to hoard beans. Beans, grains, and root vegetables are planted, harvested and processed almost entirely by machinery (just a few people operating the big planter and harvester machines). Covid-19 shouldn’t affect their availability. Meat processing requires people, which is why the meat plants are being affected.

not just people but people working under terrible working conditions and usually shoulder to shoulder.

I'm honestly not suggesting "hoarding" of anything, as everyone needs to eat. But I suspect that if beef, pork, chicken, milk, cheese, eggs, yogurt etc. (gosh there's a lot) become scarce or, more likely, very expensive, all of the usual staples we vegans commonly use will become more scarce and expensive too, as people move from one product line to another. If many meat processing plants get closed, that could seriously delay the processing (God, I hate that word) of non-meat animal products (dairy, eggs) as the industry won't be able to get rid of spent egg-layers, sows and cows as quickly as they can now. The more I think about it, the more I think that we're all going to be affected. God bless the oceans as they might be cleaned out :fp:.

I'm honestly not suggesting "hoarding" of anything, as everyone needs to eat. But I suspect that if beef, pork, chicken, milk, cheese, eggs, yogurt etc. (gosh there's a lot) become scarce or, more likely, very expensive, all of the usual staples we vegans commonly use will become more scarce and expensive too, as people move from one product line to another. If many meat processing plants get closed, that could seriously delay the processing (God, I hate that word) of non-meat animal products (dairy, eggs) as the industry won't be able to get rid of spent egg-layers, sows and cows as quickly as they can now. The more I think about it, the more I think that we're all going to be affected. God bless the oceans as they might be cleaned out :fp:.

It’s really just the opposite. If the livestock industry comes to a halt, it will free up millions of tons of soybeans and grain that are being inefficiently used to raise livestock.

Alternative meat may just supplement actual meat until it becomes much better value for money, then you'll see meat go way down.

We are going to see two trends that will cause meat consumption to increase: increasing population and poor countries getting richer.

On the other hand environmental concerns and ethical concerns will see some reductions.

The question is which of these trends will dominate.

My guess is that global per capita meat assumption will stay stable for a while - maybe increasing a little for a few years- before eventually peaking and starting to do down quite fast.

It would be interesting to see how big this alternative meat is in China for now. There are headlines, but I don't know how many they are really selling.

Reactions: Hog
@Poppy
I haven't heard of the fishing industry being impacted. So this might not be so good for the oceans either.

I meant that omnivores would turn to eating more seafood if land animals become scarce/expensive - but that's assuming fishing vessels can set sail with healthy crews.

Reactions: FlandersOD and Hog
It’s really just the opposite. If the livestock industry comes to a halt, it will free up millions of tons of soybeans and grain that are being inefficiently used to raise livestock.

Maybe. But my guess is that companies who make products like Beyond Burger and Chao cheese are more limited by production capacity than by the supply of grain or soybeans. Sure, they could possibly add shifts to make a particular facility produce more fairly quickly. But for production to be increased significantly might require whole new facilities, transportation and management that would take time to set in place.

Maybe. But my guess is that companies who make products like Beyond Burger and Chao cheese are more limited by production capacity than by the supply of grain or soybeans. Sure, they could possibly add shifts to make a particular facility produce more fairly quickly. But for production to be increased significantly might require whole new facilities, transportation and management that would take time to set in place.

I see your point now. Yes, agreed.

According to the USDA, almost all U.S. corn is used for (1) animal feed and (2) ethanol fuel additive. With the livestock industry and vehicle travel both in decline, the American corn industry is suffering: Revision of 2020 Crop Budgets with COVID-19 Induced Lower Corn and Soybean Prices • farmdoc daily

1587689855117.png

Except for corn chips (crisps) and high fructose corn sweetener, Americans just don't eat much corn.

Also, the U.S. produces more corn than Americans could reasonably eat: about 360 million metric tons per year: U.S. corn production, 2018/19 | Statista . This is about 1 metric ton (2200 lbs.) per American per year. In the U.S., corn isn't really food; it's more of an industrial raw material.

Last edited:
According to the USDA, almost all U.S. corn is used for (1) animal feed and (2) ethanol fuel additive. With the livestock industry and vehicle travel both in decline, the American corn industry is suffering: Revision of 2020 Crop Budgets with COVID-19 Induced Lower Corn and Soybean Prices • farmdoc daily

View attachment 20733

Except for corn chips (crisps) and high fructose corn sweetener, Americans just don't eat much corn.

Also, the U.S. produces more corn than Americans could reasonably eat: about 360 million metric tons per year: U.S. corn production, 2018/19 | Statista . This is about 1 metric ton (2200 lbs.) per American per year. In the U.S., corn isn't really food; it's more of an industrial raw material.

Most of the corn produced in America is not the corn we buy in the grocery store. Oh, i imagine it wouldn't be hard to convert, but even better is for the farmers who grow corn for livestock or ehanol convert to crops that people do want.

and most of the soybeans that is used to feed livestock is GMO and not organic. Plus a lot of it does not come from American farms but Brazillian. But it might be good for what is left of the rainforest.

Anyway, its a more complicated than it looks.

@ Lou - Suppose you are a bird and you decide to fly in a different direction than the flock. It does not mean that you are crazy. It could mean that everyone else is wrong and you are right. So what is crazy and who gets to decide?

=====

I prefer to look at the Coronavirus as a population control agent. If we spend an unnatural amount of time around other species, then viruses will cross over to us. We create even more risk, when we house individuals in cramped shacks and force them to poop in their neighbors face. I would imagine that cleaning out shacks for pigs is a risky job from a sanitation standpoint. The hard working farmers will inevitable spread those diseases to cramped over populated cities such as New York.

Cow farts might cause greenhouse gasses and cow poop might damage our freshwater supply. We might chop down all the rainforests in the world for sake of Quarter Pounders and Whoppers. This could make earth less suitable for the survival of our species. Still, this temporary damage is just another population control agent. Humans might become extinct from the pollution. However, in ten thousand years, the planet will be far healthier without us. The meek may inherit the earth and rats might rule the world. I am cool that.

Some people like to celebrate the circle of life by harvesting millions of turkeys during the holiday seasons. By the same token, the extinction of humans is all part of the natural circle of life. The planet will continue just fine without humans.

Now I am going to sound real crazy. We should celebrate the natural extinction of humans as part of the circle of life.

We slaughter 9 billion chickens every year. In this context, extinction of our species is not a big deal.

Reactions: FlandersOD
I know this is going to sound crazy. Maybe even a little callous.

This morning as I was perusing the news I saw another story on another pork plant shutting down. After closer inspection, it was three. It seems like a day doesn't go by without a meat plant shutting down or a dairy farm going bankrupt.

Meanwhile, it seems like every day a plant meat startup is born. Or a nondairy product hits the market.

Between the Coronavirus, global warming consciousness, and the alternative plant food industry - is this the beginning of the end of the meat and dairy industries?

Thank you for sharing these articles. I believe anything is possible. People are starting to wake up, and those who choose to dig a bit deeper they are one click away from searching Vegan on google and seeing all the amazing benefits it has to offer while saving animals too.

Reactions: Hog and Lou
I did consider the possibility of the coronavirus being a sort of natural culling of the human population. But I don’t think it means we should or need to just sit back and let it happen.