Delicious falafels!

Veganite

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I had this recipe for dinner earlier. O-M-G, they were so good. I had to stop myself from cooking more. I ate six of them as it was. I did save the other half for tomorrow.

I did bake mine, but you can decide how to cook yours. I've provided both methods of cooking if you wish to bake yours too.

Delicious Falafels!

Ingredients for about 12 falafel balls:

1 cup dried garbanzo beans aka chickpeas (soaked for 24 hours)
1/2 yellow onion, diced
4 cloves minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 rounded tablespoon flour
2 tsp lemon juice
*oil for frying

Directions:

First drain and rinse your chickpeas. Now blitz up all the ingredients in your food processor, being extra careful not to puree it. Just keep pulsing the blender/food processor, scraping off the sides, if needed. You want a grainy, but fairly fine texture. It won't clump together well enough if it's too grainy, so use that as a guideline.

You can also adjust the consistency by either adding water, if too dry, or by adding more flour, if too wet.

The recipe was spot on for me. I did not need to add anything else to mine. Even the seasoning was spot on. Definitely give yours a little taste before cooking, to make sure it's seasoned as you desire.

Deep-fry method:

- For frying, this recipe uses balls, not patties. Each ball is about 2 tablespoons of mixture. Deep-frying them as patties is fine, but the cooking time will need to be adjusted.

- Deep-fry your falafel balls at 350°F for about 5 minutes or until browned and crispy. Can be done in a frying pan as well, but patties work better for this. Make sure your oil is hot enough.

*Sunflower oil is the preferred oil used, but canola or peanut will suffice.

Oven method:

- With an oven rack in the middle position, preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

- Using your hands, scoop out about 2 tablespoons of the mixture at a time. Shape the falafel into small patties, about 2 inches wide and ½ inch thick.

- Place each falafel on a parchment lined cookie sheet.

- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, carefully flipping the falafels halfway through baking, until the falafels are a deep golden colour and crispy on both sides.

The falafel mix keep well in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, or in the freezer for several months.

This one is well worth trying. Enjoy!

Tahini Sauce for falafels:

Ingredients:

• 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup tahini (sesame seed paste), well stirred
  • 6 tablespoons ice water
Directions:

Combine first 3 ingredients in a bowl; let stand 10 minutes. Add tahini to garlic mixture, stirring with a whisk to combine (mixture will be very thick). Add 6 tablespoons ice water, 2 tablespoons at a time, stirring after each addition until incorporated and sauce reaches desired consistency.