US Diet

tlee0929

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
I have recently begun a low fat Plant Based diet. I have developed an extremely itchy scalp and some rash on my torso. Can anyone help me with this?

good morning and welcome to the forum

I don't think that any of us are qualified to help diagnose your rash and so here are some thoughts instead...

When we make changes, especially if they are drastic, in our diet then our body will sometimes take a bit of time to adapt and how it does that varies for everyone. I would consider going on cronometer.com and checking to see that you are getting enough calories for your daily needs as sometimes people who start a WF PB lifestyle don't realize that they may need to eat more food as the foods they are eating may not be calorically dense anymore.

We are of a similar age and so the other consideration would be that it is not related to your change in diet but may be something else, like shingles etc.
I have never had it and hopefully never will but do know of others that have and itchy scalp/rash can be part of it.

Checking in with a health professional make be a good idea.

Congrats, by the way on your lifestyle change and we look forward to your contributions here in the forum.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Agree
Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
I appreciate the reply, thank you!

I do keep track of my calories though, so I know I am getting the proper amount of food choices.

I have done some research and discovered the low fat part of my diet may be contributing to the skin rash. I was hoping for a similar reaction to someone else in this forum in hopes of matching notes.

Thanks again....

Reactions: Emma JC
I appreciate the reply, thank you!

I do keep track of my calories though, so I know I am getting the proper amount of food choices.

I have done some research and discovered the low fat part of my diet may be contributing to the skin rash. I was hoping for a similar reaction to someone else in this forum in hopes of matching notes.

Thanks again....
How low fat? You need some, even if you're oil free. A handful of nuts or seeds. A Tblsp of ground flax on oatmeal...a bit of avocado. Not much
Think of other changes that might have occurred. Often when people change habits other extraneous things happen without them thinking about it. things like, have you changed any kind of cleaning or cosmetic products? Medication? Stress? Food or drink?
I had the first shingles vaccine and developed just one, very mild rash on my side that urgent care identified as shingles. It was more of a burn sensation than itch, and was like road rash- like my skin was sanded with coarse sandpaper, and felt like corse sandpaper. It went away in a day, I guess because I had the vaccine. I then got the newer vaccine

I don't suppose you just had the covid vaccine? People have gotten rashes after that
the itchy scalp certainly does sound like diet!

HI! We both went very low fat wfpb for heart disease 2 years ago. Since then we've given ourselves a little more fat but it's still under 20% as we maintain our weights now.
About 6 months ago my husband got a rash on one side of his torso, and at first we didn't know what it was, nor was it severe enough to go to a doctor. We tend to see if things heal first, on their own before asking for help. We came to the conclusion after 2 months it was shingles. We used a homemade herbal medicine remedy to treat the itchiness. It did go away after about 2 months.

I do think my skin is drier and less oily with this diet/lifestyle. That would include my scalp. It doesn't generally itch unless I need to wash my hair and my hair gets oily but that takes a long time.

Your reply really helped. Can I ask what the homemade herbal medicine was. I have been using lotion with drops of tea tree oil in it, and for my scalp I am using a medicated shampoo.
As soon as I lose the weight I am striving for, I have planned on increasing my fat as well.

Thanks again....

Reactions: feather
When it happened, the shingles, it was incredibly itchy painful at the beginning which tapered off to only a bit itchy over the course of the rash. I was reading my Encyclopedia of Herbal Medicine. I don't remember which was the most helpful herbs and got into a habit of making this heated infusion, like a tea. Fill a pint container with water and 1/3 cup lemon juice, 1 minced clove of garlic, 1 t rosemary, 1 t thyme, 1 T lemon balm. Heat it up in the microwave for 2 minutes, then let it cool. Take a clean washcloth or cotton pads, and apply it to the rash, once in the morning, once before bed. This relieved the pain. It can be used as often as you like, for instance, in the beginning it is much more painful itchy, and that comes back faster, so we applied it more often. I prepared a new batch about once a week. He said it really helped and kept the itch away most of the time.

I hope that helps.