Newbie needs help with Plant Based Beef

wade

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
I have decided to make some lifestyle changes after watching several documentaries about food, diet, and most importantly how animals are being disrespected in the process of food. While I can't change 100% instantly, I am willing to try incremental steps. I am hoping someone can suggest a plant=based beef or burger that truly taste very similar to the real thing. It would be great if there is a company that provides shipping as I live in West Virginia and there are not a lot of options. Impossible Foods and Miyoko's are not available in my area, and I cannot order online direct. Any help would be appreciated.

First, congratulations on embarking on your dietary changes! The animals and the planet thank you. :)

I haven't eaten an actual cow burger in decades, but to me there are two companies that come moderately closest to it. I'm not sure how truly similar it is, as I said, it's been so long since I had a cow burger. But here goes: One is the Impossible burger, and I equate that with a fast-food-style burger. It's flat and has a grilled flavor. If you can't order them, Burger King offers the Impossible Whopper. As a vegan, though, I skip the cheese and sauce and usually get it with just mustard and pickles.

For homemade burgers, Beyond burgers come closest, but as I said, it's been decades since I tried any cow burgers. These burgers are much thicker and have some fat in them (they ooze grease when you fry them). Is there anyone you know who can order them online for you since you are unable?

Thanks for the advice. I issue with ordering on-line is I cannot find a plant-based manufacturer who sell online. I will give both of your mentions a try. Being new at this can you tell me why diary is considered bad? I understand not eating the animal itself but why is the milk and cheese an issue?

Thanks for the advice. I issue with ordering on-line is I cannot find a plant-based manufacturer who sell online. I will give both of your mentions a try. Being new at this can you tell me why diary is considered bad? I understand not eating the animal itself but why is the milk and cheese an issue?

Why don`t you try other brands such as Gardein etc if you like beef burgers? All supermarkets have a selection of plant based faux meats.
The dairy industry is just as cruel or even worse for our animals. Their lives are pure hell!

Reactions: PTree15
I have decided to make some lifestyle changes after watching several documentaries about food, diet, and most importantly how animals are being disrespected in the process of food

Yea! Cue Trumpets.

While I can't change 100% instantly, I am willing to try incremental steps.

That is absolutely the best, easiest, and healthiest technique.

I am hoping someone can suggest a plant=based beef or burger that truly taste very similar to the real thing.

On Wednesdays I go to Burger King for Whopper Wednesday. a whopper is just $3. It's vegan if you get it without cheese or mayo. if you are taking small steps you can get cheese and mayonnaise if you have to.
At my Burger King it automatically comes without mayo and cheese. It's not the best tasting PB burger but it's very convenient and the price is right.

Most people put Impossible Burger and Beyond Meat at the top of the list for PB burgers. But a lot of it depends on your own taste.

Below is a pretty good introduction to the options.

It would be great if there is a company that provides shipping as I live in West Virginia and there are not a lot of options. Impossible Foods and Miyoko's are not available in my area,

I also turned on the google machine and took a look at West Virginia. I suppose it depends on how far from a town or city you live but it appears WV is no food dessert. most of the vegan restaurants are in places like Morgantown, Parkersburg, and Martinsburg. Plus a lot of regular restaurants have PB options nowadays. You can use online tools like Google, Yelp, and Happycow to find places nearby.

Even better is the stuff available in supermarkets. Even if you don't live near a supermarket you still probably have to go into town every once in a while. Put a cooler in the trunk and put your groceries in the cooler for the way home. Nowadays Every Supermarket has a lot of PB options.

Also check with the grocery store that you usually go into. You haven't been transitioning for very long. There may be products you haven't seen there. Ask someone. And y' know even if they don't have any, they might go ahead and get some - especially if people are asking for it. And especially with frozen foods it shouldn't be any big deal. Frequently the same distributor that sells frozen breakfast sausage also sells frozen PB breakfast sausages.

and I cannot order online direct. Any help would be appreciated.

That's odd. Are you that far out of town. or don't have a credit card. Maybe a friend or relative can help you with that. ordering online could be the best solution.

Thanks for the advice. I issue with ordering on-line is I cannot find a plant-based manufacturer who sell online.

There are a number of places that DO. My number one suggestion is the Thrive Maket. But there a lot of other options out there. Thrive just happens to be one of the oldest and biggest. It does have a membership fee but it's cheap. They deliver EveryWhere. And it's not a vegan market but they have lots of vegan stuff. And their prices in general are good.

Being new at this can you tell me why diary is considered bad? I understand not eating the animal itself but why is the milk and cheese an issue?

Vegetarians don't eat meat but will consume diary. So maybe you can start with becoming vegetarian and become vegan later.

there are two issues with milk and eggs.
1. as @shyvas mentioned the dairy industry is just as cruel if not more more than the meat industry. Same with eggs producers.
2. Also despite the industry's propaganda - eggs and milk are not very good for you.

The facts about eggs are very muddled but I trust this info.

Reactions: Emma JC
Oh, another thought just came to me.
there are also some great recipes for homemade Bean burgers. Healthier and cheaper than anything you can buy in a restaurant or store.
This one is MY favorite.

• Agree
Reactions: Clairey and Emma JC
:welcome:
I can't speak to what is most similar to meat, but I have found I really prefer Impossible burgers, well done, to Beyond.
I make my own seitan from vital wheat gluten, but I've found that takes a good bit of practice to get right!

If you're willing to order online I would suggest:
Better than Boullion no beef, and/or no chicken (it's a boullion paste that comes in a jar)
Butler Soy Curls--not TVP, but whole soybeans that have been cooked and put through a proprietary extrusion method. Like shredded chicken. Done right they're very good and versitle, and give that meat like texture

Do you have an Aldi? I love their meatless meatballs!

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I have decided to make some lifestyle changes after watching several documentaries about food, diet, and most importantly how animals are being disrespected in the process of food. While I can't change 100% instantly, I am willing to try incremental steps. I am hoping someone can suggest a plant=based beef or burger that truly taste very similar to the real thing. It would be great if there is a company that provides shipping as I live in West Virginia and there are not a lot of options. Impossible Foods and Miyoko's are not available in my area, and I cannot order online direct. Any help would be appreciated.
you might be better off making your own.
I mean out of lentils and vegetables, just squash the ingredients together.
You could add whichever burger sauce you like so it tastes like your usual one. Just a suggestion.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC