Environmentalist who questions global warming

But the person who thought it was round had scientific evidence.

It's a good job that the founding members of the vegan society didn't rely on scientific evidence when they 'felt' that going vegan was a good move... they explored it and the evidence came later.

so the idea is that there is no global warming, and that the weather is being manipulated to look like there is.

So who would do all that? I doubt it it the oil industry. Maybe Dale Vince....:p

I'm all for questioning science and scientific consensus, because I believe that it can be very wrong at times, and there is a huge amount of politics in science, which can warp things quite a bit, at times.

But who benefits from faking climate change?

so the idea is that there is no global warming, and that the weather is being manipulated to look like there is.

The thing is, nobody really seems to know.

I did read this though:

2005 U.S. Senate Bill 517 and U.S. House Bill 2995 U.S. Senate Bill 517[25] and U.S. House Bill 2995[26] were two bills proposed in 2005 that would have expanded experimental weather modification, to establish a Weather Modification Operations and Research Board, and implemented a national weather modification policy. Neither were made into law. Former Texas State Senator John N. Leedom was the key lobbyist on behalf of the weather modification bills.

2007 U.S. Senate Bill 1807 & U.S. House Bill 3445 Senate Bill 1807 and House Bill 3445, identical bills introduced July 17, 2007, proposed to establish a Weather Mitigation Advisory and Research Board to fund weather modification research [27][28]

source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_modification

and this:

Cloud seeding, a form of intentional weather modification, is the attempt to change the amount or type of precipitation that falls from clouds, by dispersing substances into the air that serve as cloud condensation or ice nuclei, which alter the microphysical processes within the cloud. The usual intent is to increase precipitation (rain or snow), but hail and fog suppression are also widely practiced in airports.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_seeding

This suggests to me that weather modification is happening. I highly doubt that we actually hear what is going on currently though.

seeding clouds is a very long way from the ability to manufacture hurricanes, or alter the jet stream. Cloud seeding has been attempted for a long time, mainly to try to bring about rain where the water is needed.

Reactions: Mischief
seeding clouds is a very long way from the ability to manufacture hurricanes, or alter the jet stream. Cloud seeding has been attempted for a long time, mainly to try to bring about rain where the water is needed.

I totally agree. I am just saying that if this is what we do know about, then what don't we know about? I am not actually asking you to answer that by the way :) (it's rhetorical) I can see that you don't have any answers either.

My claim earlier that the planet has gone through cycles much worse than what is going on now(an ice age, for instance) has been ignored. When you can't answer something, ignore it. You certainly can't blame humans on it.

But who benefits from faking climate change?
The media gets a story they can talk about. Environmental groups may benefit, anyone who writes a book about it can make more money.

My claim earlier that the planet has gone through cycles much worse than what is going on now(an ice age, for instance) has been ignored. When you can't answer something, ignore it. You certainly can't blame humans on it.

The media gets a story they can talk about. Environmental groups may benefit, anyone who writes a book about it can make more money.

Nobody (that I know of) is denying that the planet goes through major environmental changes, humans or no.

What the issue is is the people who deny (in the face of overwhelming scientific evidence) that cutting down vast swathes of forests, putting vast amounts of different gasses into the atmosphere, etc., affects climate/accelerates climate changes.

Must be true then... are you suggesting that we blindly follow? Erm, like 'we' did when we thought the earth was flat... and then one single person was ridiculed when he suggested that it was round.

One single person? Who was that?

Oh, I'll answer this, but I don't expect a serious, well thought out and researched answer with non-biased sources from you.

With the current antarctic continent and a land-locked arctic ocean, why do you think that the earth would unexpectedly warm up?

He's simply saying it wasn't "one single person" who suggested that the Earth was round.

Well, actually, I was hoping for their history of the flat earth theory. I was expecting it to be rather entertaining, since they decided to use the idea of a round earth (an idea that is over two thousand years old, and was widely accepted among educated people in the West since the early middle ages). Modern science (and I'm using the shift away from natural philosophy as the demarcation point of "modern science") has existed for about 500 years.

Using one to criticize the other is a bit of a logical leap. It was the equivalent of criticizing the idea of modern medicine by saying that people once believed in chanting shamans and spells to heal them.

(Personally, I think the sarcastic posts are better. And we get to hear about David Ickes, which is one of my favorite conspiracy theorists!)

Must be true then... are you suggesting that we blindly follow? Erm, like 'we' did when we thought the earth was flat... and then one single person was ridiculed when he suggested that it was round.

It is a common misconception that the general concensus at the time of Columbus (or whenever, 'in the past') was that the world was flat. It's kind of a popular thing to think, how dumb all those people were and how our hero proved them wrong.

It is a common misconception that the general concensus at the time of Columbus (or whenever, 'in the past') was that the world was flat. It's kind of a popular thing to think, how dumb all those people were and how our hero proved them wrong.

Yeah, I think that a lot of people have that idea because of the simplistic Christopher Columbus stories told to children.

Greek astronomers established the spherical nature of the Earth sometime around the third century B.C. Its spherical nature was widely accepted by Greek philosophers for about three centuries before that.

Many of the ancient cultures were quite advanced even by modern standards, and without the benefit of the technology we have today. That's one of the things I find depressing - that so many people remain willfully ignorant, with all of the accumulated information available at our fingertips. :( We seem to have regressed in many ways.