Animal Rights FBI arrests animal rights activists for releasing 5,740 mink

It's good that they was arrested. Such things are remembered for ever. People are still talking about a couple of such episodes in Norway about 15 years ago.

Actually I'm sorry they were caught before they released thousands and thousands more. And I don't see how this would set the anti-fur movement back. People who are anti-fur are anti-fur for a good reason - namely the skinning alive and anal electrocutions that are routine in the fur industry.

Reactions: ledboots
Actually I'm sorry they were caught before they released thousands and thousands more. And I don't see how this would set the anti-fur movement back. People who are anti-fur are anti-fur for a good reason - namely the skinning alive and anal electrocutions that are routine in the fur industry.

Me too. The fbi are arresting the wrong people.

The mink will probably die. Most of them. Starving to death, as they are not trained by thei parents to catch food for themself.

Fur farms are of the things that I really engadge in, but this is just wrong. It's like rescuing a dog from a shelter, and let it starve in your backyard. It could happen that it caugh some scraps or food to survie, but most likely not.

The moral of the story is that, it is woman that wear fur coats that are too blame.

The market and customers are always the ones to blame. As no company at all will produce or sell things or living beings no other will buy. If people didn't want to by children for having sex with, it wouldn't be a marked where children where sold for the sex industry. Or fur coats, meat, black marked organs for humans etc.

The fur farms need to be fought against by law. To close them for good. What will this help? 5 740 minks where most of them dies, and the farms buys in new 5 740 minks. Will this farm be closed? No. Will laws be changed after this? No. Will people that are not sure about what they think about fur farms be against them? In fact, it looks like no after what I've experienced.

Reactions: Amy SF
The market and customers are always the ones to blame. As no company at all will produce or sell things or living beings no other will buy. If people didn't want to by children for having sex with, it wouldn't be a marked where children where sold for the sex industry. Or fur coats, meat, black marked organs for humans etc.

The fur farms need to be fought against by law. To close them for good. What will this help? 5 740 minks where most of them dies, and the farms buys in new 5 740 minks. Will this farm be closed? No. Will laws be changed after this? No. Will people that are not sure about what they think about fur farms be against them? In fact, it looks like no after what I've experienced.

Mikkel - those 5740 minks were going to die horrible deaths anyway. Is starving (or maybe not?) worse than being skinned alive or electrocuted? I don't know. And they were always going to be replaced too. The one good thing about their release in the wild is there was a financial blow to the fur farm.

You're absolutely correct - it's the fur buyers who create the demand and it is imperative that we speak up in all possible ways to put an end to this atrocity. In the mean time, I still admire those who are brave enough to become a thorn in the sides of industries who profit from cruelty.

Mikkel - those 5740 minks were going to die horrible deaths anyway. Is starving (or maybe not?) worse than being skinned alive or electrocuted? I don't know. And they were always going to be replaced too. The one good thing about their release in the wild is there was a financial blow to the fur farm.

You're absolutely correct - it's the fur buyers who create the demand and it is imperative that we speak up in all possible ways to put an end to this atrocity. In the mean time, I still admire those who are brave enough to become a thorn in the sides of industries who profit from cruelty.

There can't be anything worse than being skinned alive. It just beats me to think that civilised countries still allow this !!!!!

I also admire these people who are so brave and risk so much for these poor animals. I wish that I could do just a fraction of what they do for these poor tortured animals.

The fur farms got probably some kind of incurances. So they don't need to close the doors. And I don't think this will help to close the industry down either. And how will it do? Most people probably just see it as crazy, stupid activist with no brains at all, and in fact too many get on the fur farmers side too. I'm happy no one is doing this in Noway anymore, and there is a very, very few activists here that support this kind of action. We fight the fur farms other ways now luckly, and we're closer to get it closed now than when they "resuced" the minks from the farms here for 15 years ago.

I don't think it's a good thing to "rescue" animals and just give them an other way to die a terrible death. Starving is not a nice way to die too. And a very, very, very few is able to survive, as they are not learned to find food as babies, as all wild animals do from their parents.

It's not bravery in my eyes, this is just stupidity. It's like rescuing a dog from a shelter, and let it starv in you backyard. It would be brave if they had got the animals into safety. Not just alternative deaths.

Reactions: Blobbenstein
The moral of the story is that, it is woman that wear fur coats that are too blame.

It is my understanding that men wear fur coats, too. At one time they were very popular in the gay male community.

Another factor to consider is that the minks that do survive in some cases cause havoc in the ecosystem by killing endangered sea birds that are nesting on islands near the coast. At least that has happened in Norway, where minks are an invasive species, and other species haven't adapted to their presence.

Reactions: Mikkel
This action just increased the horrible death count by an additional 5,740 minks - the ones who were released will die because the ecosystem isn't geared to support a sudden influx of that many minks (if any of them are even able to fend for themselves), and they will be replaced by 5,740 who will be killed for their fur in the place of those who were released. Then you have to add in all of the animals who will be killed by the released minks. (Minks generally have territories from about half a mile to four miles long, with no overlap in the territories of minks of the same sex. IOW, in nature, there will be a maximum of two minks in any half mile to four mile territory - that's the number of minks that an area can support.)

It's a net loss for the animals, and anyone who is capable of basic math will be able to see that, and that makes this action reflect poorly on the AR movement.

It's like pro-lifers bombing abortion clinics full of people - it doesn't lend any credibility to a movement to kill the very species you're supposedly interested in saving.

Reactions: Amy SF
Letting them free any old place is just asking to doom the local ecosystem.

Look, I want to help them too, but this is not the way to do it.

If you have the resources to sneak them away, and release them somewhere they will actually fit in and survive, then by all means go ahead. I don't give a **** about legal implications or making the companies upset. But this sort of thing is impulsive and ultimately destructive, even with the best of intentions.

If you have the resources to sneak them away, and release them somewhere they will actually fit in and survive

Is there a "natural habitat" for mink? Where or what kind of place would that be?