Improving our search engine rankings

Okay, I know I get a little too excited about this stuff, but I just discovered we're now in 6th position on page 1 for "vegetarian forum" on google.com, and for the first time we're now on page 1 for "vegan forum"! (As before, results may vary though, depending on your location.)

Okay, I know I get a little too excited about this stuff, but I just discovered we're now in 6th position on page 1 for "vegetarian forum" on google.com, and for the first time we're now on page 1 for "vegan forum"! (As before, results may vary though, depending on your location.)

Same here for 'vegetarian, page 1 However when I google 'vegan forum' we're on page 2. :up:

:up: I wonder why it differs to various locations ?
I suppose Google tries to find the most relevant pages for the place you live. If you live in Australia and search for "child benefits" then it's likely the person wants information about that topic in their own country rather than in Britain or Canada or some other place. Of course, many Internet forums such as ours are relevant to a global audience, but they don't take that into account. I think we'd get higher rankings outside of the US & UK if there were links to VV from websites based in those countries.

Our ranking continues to improve! We're currently number 8 for "vegan forum" and number 5 for "vegetarian forum". Although we're really number 7 and number 4 since the top ranked sites are listed twice. For "vegetarian forum" we're now ahead of veganforum.com (makes sense ...), so now we "only" have to beat VB, vegsoc and happycow.

My hope is that as we get nearer the top we'll get more new members, although so far I don't think we've seen that many new members from Google searches.

Hold out hope! I initially found vb through google. So chances are others will join after a google search. But I was searching for something silly and completely random, unrelated to veg*nism. It took me to a stupid things omni's say thread, and I thought "hey, these people are my style" :p

So, uh, keep posting random silly things?

Whenever I search for veggie views it brings up a few sub categories...one is something to do with killing caterpillars :-s not sure why lol, but does this info help? Xxx

Hold out hope! I initially found vb through google. So chances are others will join after a google search. But I was searching for something silly and completely random, unrelated to veg*nism. It took me to a stupid things omni's say thread, and I thought "hey, these people are my style" :p

So, uh, keep posting random silly things?
I think you have a point. Silly things have some merit. A lot of our silly stuff is in The Lounge tho, and that forum is hidden for non-members. Maybe we should revisit that decision and consider whether it makes sense to make it public again.

Whenever I search for veggie views it brings up a few sub categories...one is something to do with killing caterpillars :-s not sure why lol, but does this info help? Xxx
Oh, I think there might be a way I can prevent that from showing up like that. I'll have a look.

This is good news, but I'm still confused as to how we're increasing in the search results.

What are we doing right? Tell us so we can do more of it. :p
I guess it's just that we are in fact one of the more active vegan & vegetarian boards out there these days. E.g. vegpeople that we just passed is pretty dead now, even though they used to be fairly active once upon a time and their threads are still there. So just continue to post, esp. post new threads. And esp. original material, that is, not just material that you're quoting from elsewhere on the Internet. (Quoting from print-only sources is as good as original material though.) I'm pretty sure all the recipes that shyvas and others have posted have been very helpful in that regard.

I think one thing that would really help us is more inbound links, i.e. links to threads / posts on here from other websites.

I think one thing that would really help us is more inbound links, i.e. links to threads / posts on here from other websites.

So if I just post a link to VV from my FB page, that would help? Or do people actually have to click the link for it to "count".

I used to be an active member of Vegpeople years ago. They had great religion debates there.

So if I just post a link to VV from my FB page, that would help? Or do people actually have to click the link for it to "count".
No one has to click on it, but it has to be on a page that is public. Most people's FB walls are not public I would think.

Also, inbound links from "trustworthy" sites such as academic sites, and popular news media sites are weighted higher than inbound links from less trustworthy sites.