International English food words dictionary

Trinity

YES!
Reaction score
I currently live in the UK although my love for creating (and eating) delicious foods started in the USA... and then I also have a bunch of friends in Australia. I find talking food with friends so much fun when we find out all the different words that we use for the same foods. Can also be a tad confusing at times!

For example in the UK we say grill in the USA it's broil.

In the UK we say swede in the USA it's rutabaga...

I can't find another thread for this here, so I though it would be a lovely idea to start one where we can create a sort of food words dictionary. Please do share...

Let's see...

In the UK,
rocket
In the US,
arugula

In the UK,
courgette
In the US,
zucchini

In the UK,
aubergine
In the US,
eggplant

I currently live in the UK although my love for creating (and eating) delicious foods started in the USA... and then I also have a bunch of friends in Australia. I find talking food with friends so much fun when we find out all the different words that we use for the same foods. Can also be a tad confusing at times!

For example in the UK we say grill in the USA it's broil.

In the UK we say swede in the USA it's rutabaga...

I can't find another thread for this here, so I though it would be a lovely idea to start one where we can create a sort of food words dictionary. Please do share...

There is a thread in the Recipe section.

http://forum.veggieviews.com/threads/british-v-american-food-terminology.1442/

The 'UK' covers three-and-a-bit countries, several dialects and numerous accents. I like the word scran, though it originates a lot further north than where I live.

Sultanas = white raisins in the US

So what I'd really love to know is - if I said sultana in the US would people actually know what I mean? I've never tried.

Sultanas = white raisins in the US

So what I'd really love to know is - if I said sultana in the US would people actually know what I mean? I've never tried.
I might have known what it was because I heard it used on Are You Being Served back when it was on TV. I didn't know it referred to a certain type of raisin though.

In general though, I don't think most people here would know what it is.

Corn flour (UK) -> corn starch (US)
Pepper (UK) -> Bell Pepper (US) -> Capsicum (Australia, New zealand)

I think anyway.

I found out today that the latin name for 'coriander' is coriandrum sativum.
In the UK we call it coriander.
In North America it's referred to as cilantro (which is actually the Spanish name for it, adopted in the US due to cilantro's popularity in Mexican cuisine).
To confuse matters it's also called chinese parsley.

I found out today that the latin name for 'coriander' is coriandrum sativum.
In the UK we call it coriander.
In North America it's referred to as cilantro (which is actually the Spanish name for it, adopted in the US due to cilantro's popularity in Mexican cuisine).
To confuse matters it's also called chinese parsley.
Just to add to the confusion, the seeds, whole or ground as spice, are called coriander in the US. I didn't know they were cilantro seeds until I saw your post! :D

Reactions: Trinity
Just to add to the confusion, the seeds, whole or ground as spice, are called coriander in the US. I didn't know they were cilantro seeds until I saw your post! :D
Oh yes, I forgot that bit... so in the US the seeds are actually called coriander seeds.
Right! Got it, I think.

Reactions: ledboots