Man-Machine Is AI a threat to humankind?

... Hopefully AI will morph into something which will look at the world as something to be protected, as it is not created by natural selection. Or it may not and be very destructive, who knows. But we need to roll the dice because let's face it, most people are not going to change their greedy ways. I have a feeling the probability of the former happening is larger.
Bold emphasis mine. I don't have much hope for this scenario, as AI was created by people, flawed as they are. And greed is so rampant.

How about AI saving lives?

there seems to be some really excellent medical uses for AI. I read about another one today.
Seems like this is mostly a third world problem. People getting bit by snakes but no one is sure if the snake is venomous and/or the proper treatment. Doctors Without Borders recall flipping thru photo albums of snakes to ID them. Now they have an AI powered app that scrolls thru thousands of snake photos and correctly identifies the snake and the correct treatment.

because of global warming, floods, and war, people (and snakes) are migrating to new places.

BTW, MSF is French for Doctors Without Borders.

The app does need a photo of the snake which I think might be more difficult than you'd think.

Reactions: Second Summer
I think AI has a great potential for certain use-cases, especially in medicine and research.

For example, a former colleague did some work with us using deep learning algorithms to automate some tasks in our protein structure and drug binding pipelines. It would have taken scientists hours of their manual labour for every protein, but thanks to my colleague's efforts the pipelines are now highly automated and only requires human inputs at the start. Ultimately, this allows for much larger numbers of proteins and drugs to be screened and go through the pipelines, and can therefore lead to a larger number new medicines which also become available to patients in shorter time. (He's publishing an article about this work which has been peer reviewed and accepted for publication - and very kindly he listed me as a co-author! :D)

There are many good examples in medicine as well, for example related to cancer discovery and treatment.

But as with many technologies, it can also easily be used for evil purposes. Mass surveillance, fully autonomous weapons systems, making massive numbers of humans redundant in their workplaces, creating fake news and spreading it via bots, creating fake videos, tipping elections in favour of the highest bidder. Governments need to step up, reign in the tech bros and sensibly regulate this technology before it's too late.