Is it reasonable to expect dogs to go vegan?

IndianVegan

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I feed a few street dogs with Pedigree dog-food everyday. Unfortunately, chicken is listed as one of the ingredients. While I have been vegan for a few months now, is it reasonable to expect dogs to go vegan?

I feed a few street dogs with Pedigree dog-food everyday. Unfortunately, chicken is listed as one of the ingredients. While I have been vegan for a few months now, is it reasonable to expect dogs to go vegan?
My opinion is no. Dogs are physically capable of living on a plant based diet but when I consider the amount of bad-tasting meat substitutes I have had to throw away while trying to avoid animal based foods it seems unreasonable to me that one of the few things an animal has to look forward to in life is replaced with bland vegan "meat." I think it is unvegan to force your carnivore and omnivore pets to live on it when they wouldn't do so if they had a choice. We also don't know what a high fiber diet does to a dog's insides and it cannot tell us if it is in pain. There are plenty of humans with IBS and other health issues who have difficulties on a vegan diet and end up with bad stomach aches at best. Why risk inflicting that on an animal that is not naturally vegan? I know there will be those who will quote me and try to slap me down with "arguments" based more on emotion than fact and I will probably get the occasional red "X" but I will always stick to this, precisely because I care enough about animals to do so.

My opinion is Yes . :)
but there are plenty of caveats.

First off, we used to have a member (might still but I haven't seen her around lately, named @Vegan Dogs.
Anyone interested in the subject should search, find, and read her posts. She is our resident expert.

Secondly, I have friends with vegan dogs. They are fine.

@Brian W is maybe the first person who suggested "taste" as an argument for not converting a dog to veganism. I think that is the worst argument there is. Has he ever tried a spoonful of the commercially store bought food. It tastes terrible. Also dogs are about the least likely connoisseurs. even pet dogs like to raid garbage cans when they get a chance.

My friends who have vegan dogs give them home cooked meals. Which they gobble right up and I have tasted it - it tastes pretty good.

And the fiber argument is also very weak.

Anyone interested should go back thru Vegan Dogs' posts. Or maybe not. I just tried it and she had been a very prolific poster and not only on vegan dogs. I just wanted to find her posts about her own dogs but I can't find them among the almost 500 posts she wrote. So maybe just google it. If you google it you will need to be somewhat skeptical. there is plenty of misinformation out there on the subject. One quick tip, is you should stop reading anything that describes dogs as carnivores. They are not. They have been omnivores (just like us) for tens of thousands of years. Anyone who suggests they are carnivores is displaying their ignorance.

A dog should not be covererted to a vegan diet without a transition. (just like us). And a check up before and after is a good idea (just like us). finally, not every dog will do well on a vegan diet (just like us). But most will and many do even better (just like us). And (just like us) a vegan dog's diet will need supplements. A vet may be the best source of how much - but they will need B12 and Omega 2 (just like us). Also the amino acids Taurine and L-carnitine. Commercially store bought Vegan food contains these supplements. My friends include these supplement in their home made dog food.

This is a well plowed subject so I won't write anymore on it and leave it to IndianVegan to do his/her own research. But to help them get started...

Reactions: 1956
First of all, no dog (or cat) will ever be vegan. It's a really silly term to use when we are talking about what we as their guardians feed them.
It's a "plant-based diet".

Both animals can thrive plant-based, but of course with cats it's important they get the taurine etc which usually comes from animals (but can be synthesized also. There are some successful plant-based cat foods out there nowadays.

But both will do what many animals do. i.e. Hunt and kill. They will also gladly accept non-vegan items if offered.

So, neither will ever be "vegan".

I might be being pedantic, but I find this quite irritating "My dog is vegan"...NO HE ISN'T, YOU ARE FEEDING HIM a plant-based diet.

;)

By the way, we have a small dog. And mainly because my family is not vegan, but also due to his insane fussiness and lack of plant-based options in the area, he eats standard dog-food :(
When I say fussy...He doesn't like any standard dog-treats. I bought him some (quite nice looking) plant-based chews...he sniffed one and looked at me as if to say "what the **** is that?" and walked away.

The only saving grace, if at all, is that he weighs like 6 or 7 kg and doesn't eat much.

First of all, no dog (or cat) will ever be vegan.
Yes. you are right.
I might be being pedantic,
Yes, you are. but in your defense it IS important to use the correct terminology. But I thought this discussion was just about information not a debate so I overlooked the misuse of the word. I knew what he meant. And being that the word vegan is commonly substituted for a person consuming a plant based diet I thought it best to let it slide.
By the way, we have a small dog. And mainly because my family is not vegan, but also due to his insane fussiness and lack of plant-based options in the area, he eats standard dog-food :(
Well, you do what you want but just in case no one has pointed it out to you - you can make your own home made plant based dog food. You can make a big bowl of it and keep portions in the freezer. Being that its make from Whole Foods and not ultra processed its both tasty and nutritious.

Well, you do what you want but just in case no one has pointed it out to you - you can make your own home made plant based dog food. You can make a big bowl of it and keep portions in the freezer. Being that its make from Whole Foods and not ultra processed its both tasty and nutritious.
I often do, but I am also worried that he will not get a nutritionally balanced diet. I did speak to the vet about it, but they were not particularly helpful.

I have tried sourcing a good plant-based kibble online, but so far most seem to be too high in protein (his breed calls for a little less to avoid kidney problems)
I have tried a few recipes, and the one he likes uses a soy minced meat substitute, but I avoid it too often as it contains onion powder :(
Only using beans, etc, he won't touch it. Like I said, he's extremely fussy.

And because my family is not vegan, they simply buy him standard kibble and wet food :(

I often do, but I am also worried that he will not get a nutritionally balanced diet. I did speak to the vet about it, but they were not particularly helpful.
Yeah, a lot of vets are not particularly interested. I find it weird that vets are not ALL vegan.
I have tried sourcing a good plant-based kibble online, but so far most seem to be too high in protein (his breed calls for a little less to avoid kidney problems)
I don't know anything about vegan kibble but.... V- Dog Kind Kibble has been recommended. I have no idea what its protein content is.

I have tried a few recipes, and the one he likes uses a soy minced meat substitute, but I avoid it too often as it contains onion powder :(
Only using beans, etc, he won't touch it. Like I said, he's extremely fussy.

This is the recipe that is most often recommended.

further reading

Reactions: g0rph
Yeah, a lot of vets are not particularly interested. I find it weird that vets are not ALL vegan.

I don't know anything about vegan kibble but.... V- Dog Kind Kibble has been recommended. I have no idea what its protein content is.

This is the recipe that is most often recommended.

further reading
Thanks for the link.
That recipe though...looks far too low in protein at first glance. I want something around 25-28% protein.

But it's certainly worth a try. :)

Reactions: Lou