Is this humane? Sheep Clippers

Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
This popped up on YouTube today they are using these to cut the sheets hair. I was wondering is this humane ? Does it stab the animal? It looks kind of brutal in my opinion but I'm highly un-educated.Screen Shot 2023-10-23 at 1.25.51 AM.png

Reactions: silva
I suppose that shearing a sheep could be done in a careful and controlled manner. Just like when I get a haircut or perhaps like when you take your dog for grooming.

That would be the exception - not the rule.

Shearers are usually paid by volume, not by the hour, which encourages fast work without any regard for the welfare of the sheep. This hasty and careless shearing leads to frequent injuries, and workers use a needle and thread to sew the worst wounds shut—without any pain relief.​

Shearing sheep certainly doesn't need to be cruel, it's the selective breeding to produce excessive wool for more profits that I really abhor.
I looked at their site and have to say they sound very genuine in their skill in animal handling and shearing. They make a point of being humane.

While I can see this as ethical animal welfare, it will never qualify as vegan as vegan is about leaving animals the F alone. Like egg laying hens

As a teen I was obsessed with a wool sweater my wealthier friend wore, it was from Peru. I instead bought thrift store wool sweaters, gloves and winter socks, just enamored by their warmth, breathability, and water repelling qualities. I expected I'd have them forever. My mother for some unknown reason decided to gather clothes I left behind when I left home unexpectedly and washed them. They all shrank, but I still wore them as midriffs
My point is that there is a wide difference between the cultures that keep sheep for their own use as it really is a unique textile that can last a very very long time

If there is ever a thing where people collected carcasses for leather I'd also find that ethical