Advertisement

Living things movie

Discussion in 'General' started by Forest Nymph, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Forest Nymph
    Wishful

Forest Nymph Active Member

Ratings:
    +401 / 1 / -11
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    So I just stumbled across this indie film from a few years ago that is a portrayal of a debate about veganism over dinner between a father-in-law and daughter-in-law when the son/husband is detained at a meeting at work.

It's definitely worth a watch. I did think it did a good job addressing all the relevant points, but I was a bit disappointed with how vague the vegan character's arguments were. However, it occured to me that the movie might have a more powerful effect on the "average" person if her arguments weren't too wordy, heavy, or "science-y."Also it's a movie, not a book, so for what it is, it is good.

I don't know exactly what my final feelings or opinion of the film are, because it's thought provoking and surprising, and I'm not sure I fully agree with the writers but I do see their point. The film is in no way trite or simplistic, the conservative father-in-law does deliver as a debater in his own "school of hard knocks" way.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Sax
    Daring

Sax Active Member

Ratings:
    +163 / 1 / -1
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I'll have to check this out. I like movies that are basically one long argument...12 Angry Men, The Man from Earth etc.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Forest Nymph
    Wishful

Forest Nymph Active Member

Ratings:
    +401 / 1 / -11
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    It's supposed to be inspired by My Dinner with Andre. I can definitely see it having been a stage play at one point.