Loads of beans we have....

I'm really surprised they're hard or impossible to find where you are. Cassoulet isn't usually vegetarian (although it can be), but it's a traditional French dish with many variations, and I would have thought pintos would be used sometimes.

Would it be possible for you to grow your own pintos? I've been trying various types of beans out here in upstate New York, and so far, I seem to have the best luck with black beans and blackeyed peas- the blackeyed peas don't produce that much, but all the critters that usually savage my other beans are evidently afraid of blackeyes. I think I've had some pintos grow, too- but unfortunately, garbanzos don't do well here.

Beans aren't popular overhere and cassoulet is a regional dish from Castelaundry (South west) made with
haricots lingot - they are huge white beans. Most people gorge on meat, dairy and delictessen meats overhere.

I have asked every single shop in town and area (including Organic and oriental stores) and people don't
even know what pinto beans are.
I don't have a garden and would imagine you'd have to have a huge one to grow beans.

Anyway, I have given up and stock up when I'm in the UK.:)

I'd be lost if I didn't have access to bulk dried beans.

I scored a major bargain a few weeks ago with my Bountiful Basket (Weekly Fruit/Veggie Coop thingy). Anyway they had garbanzo beans available so I bought 2 25# bags for $20 each. Ended up being the same brand I usually order at $70/25#.

To PVL, if you have access to a pressure cooker they make quick work of cooking beans (still need to soak them 1st). I usually buy my black beans, pintos, soy and chickpeas in 25#bags. At any given time I have at least a dozen different varieties on hand and always find myself buying unusual varieties when I come across them.

Beans aren't popular overhere and cassoulet is a regional dish from Castelaundry (South west) made with
haricolts lingot - they are huge white beans. Most people gorge on meat, dairy and delictessen meats overhere.

I have asked every single shop in town and area (including Organic and oriental stores) and people don't
even know what pinto beans are.
I don't have a garden and would imagine you'd have to have a huge one to grow beans.

Anyway, I have given up and stock up when I'm in the UK.:)

You need a Costco, they always have huge bags of pintos... seriously a 25# bag is like $15.

To PVL, if you have access to a pressure cooker they make quick work of cooking beans (still need to soak them 1st). I usually buy my black beans, pintos, soy and chickpeas in 25#bags. At any given time I have at least a dozen different varieties on hand and always find myself buying unusual varieties when I come across them.
We have a pressure cooker my husband made sure we had one a few years ago when his mothers went out. I will try to use the pressure cooker and then make soup with them or ETC.

I didn't know Costco was international tho..

Oh heck yeah.

Locations

As of April 18, 2013, Costco has 626 warehouses:[66]
In 2005, the world's largest Costco was located in Hillsboro, Oregon, U.S.[67] Costco announced it was opening 28 new locations in 2013, the most in one year since 2007.[68]

Oh heck yeah.

Locations

As of April 18, 2013, Costco has 626 warehouses:[66]
In 2005, the world's largest Costco was located in Hillsboro, Oregon, U.S.[67] Costco announced it was opening 28 new locations in 2013, the most in one year since 2007.[68]
Last year near my Birthday we got a costco in our area as well, have not been too it yet because very tight on funds and all.

Let us know how they turn out, I never had any luck with slow cooking raw beans. Always just a little bit too hard.
I followed the directions and soaked them all night while I was sleeping, then when I got up , I rinsed them and put them in the crock pot , I put them on high for a few hours and then I went too low since then and I am checking them right now and about 3 pm this afternoon I put taco seasoning in the beans to make them taco tasting.

Let us know how they turn out, I never had any luck with slow cooking raw beans. Always just a little bit too hard.

Soak them overnight even if the recipe says you don't need to.

I made refried beans in the crockpot last week. They were great and I got to control the salt. I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't like salty food.