Loads of beans we have....

peacefulveglady

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hello
I we have gotten several bags of pinto beans, I know i an surf the net but, i wanted to get some ideas of making recipes with pinto beans. We have gotten several bags of them dried from the food pantry ,will they go good with a bean and veggie soup?

I'm sure you can use them in soup. You can also use them in chili, with or without veggie ground "beef". If you choose not to add the veggie "beef", the beans can be the meat substitute.

BTW, I wasn't sure if this was your intention, but you don't have to eat them all right away. You can store most of them and use them throughout the next 6 to 12 months. Dry beans will keep for months if you store them properly. http://frugalliving.about.com/od/storingfoods/ht/How-To-Store-Dried-Beans.htm

Reactions: Tom L.
I'm sure you can use them in soup. You can also use them in chili, with or without veggie ground "beef". If you choose not to add the veggie "beef", the beans can be the meat substitute.

BTW, I wasn't sure if this was your intention, but you don't have to eat them all right away. You can store most of them and use them throughout the next 6 to 12 months. Dry beans will keep for months if you store them properly. http://frugalliving.about.com/od/storingfoods/ht/How-To-Store-Dried-Beans.htm
Thanks any help that is will do because we go three times a month too food pantries and we get a bag of beans per trip. We just some more saturday.

refried beans = amazing

soak the beans at least over night, the longer the better and remember to change the water every 4-6 hours
saute onions, garlic, chile peppers in oil
add soaked and rinsed beans
cover with water
bring to boil
skim off scum and bubbles
add seasoning like cumin, coriander, paprika, salt, chile powder, oregano
cover and cook on med til the beans are soft and done
serve as is or
drain liquid
heat oil
add beans to oil
cook and mash
= delicious refried beans
perfect for burritos or anything

Make tacos/burritos! Tortillas are normally pretty cheap to buy or make, too. They even sell them in dollar stores if you have one there. :)

I like to get dry beans. Canned ones are nice during the summer because I usually don't like to cook much in hot weather, and beans take some time to get properly soft when you cook them from scratch- but canned are more expensive usually, and are often very salty.

I like to get dry beans. Canned ones are nice during the summer because I usually don't like to cook much in hot weather, and beans take some time to get properly soft when you cook them from scratch- but canned are more expensive usually, and are often very salty.
i prefer canned for summer also but ,we are getting boatload of beans each time we got to these food pantries. Also we are getting loads of rice also and canned veggies.

I love pinto beans!
I sub any bean in recipes. I particularly like pinto though because the get really soft by themselves and thicken soups.
Perfect for rice and beans. I'd just add a can of chopped chilis and tomatoes, or even salsa.
Bean soup, dips, i found I like them just seasoned on toast.
Think anything Mexican
Tacos- I line the shells with refried beans, then salsa, more beans and toppings
Daiya pepper jack is great melted over them as a quesadilla.
Mexican pizza

Funny, I just had a discussion with my son last night about pinto beans. I had made refried beans, and he was saying he thought pinto beans were one of the most versatile beans.

I like to use lots of different kinds beans in chili, but pintos are a must, along with whatever other types. :)

Funny, I just had a discussion with my son last night about pinto beans. I had made refried beans, and he was saying he thought pinto beans were one of the most versatile beans.

I like to use lots of different kinds beans in chili, but pintos are a must, along with whatever other types. :)

They are indeed, my favourite beans. It's a pity that I can't buy them overhere, and have to carry them back from the UK.:(

They are indeed, my favourite beans. It's a pity that I can't buy them overhere, and have to carry them back from the UK.:(

shyvas, just out of curiosity, have you compared the cost of pinto beans between the UK and the US? Beans are pretty cheap here in the US, so I was wondering if that's one of the things you stock up on whenever you're here in L.A.

shyvas, just out of curiosity, have you compared the cost of pinto beans between the UK and the US? Beans are pretty cheap here in the US, so I was wondering if that's one of the things you stock up on whenever you're here in L.A.

I haven't actually noticed dried beans in the US only tinned ones. I buy pinto beans at Sainsbury's and they are quite cheap. I also like to have a few tinned ones for emergencies however they are heavy to carry.

It wouldn't be worth me buying such items in the US as I have jto purchase extra luggage allowance.

I haven't actually noticed dried beans in the US only tinned ones. I buy pinto beans at Sainsbury's and they are quite cheap. I also like to have a few tinned ones for emergencies however they are heavy to carry.

It wouldn't be worth me buying such items in the US as I have jto purchase extra luggage allowance.

Ah, I see. Okay.

And that's weird because bagged dried beans are everywhere here. I saw them in Ralphs supermarket yesterday taking up a good bit of shelf space, and you can even find them in the food section of Rite-Aid drugstores. A couple years ago I was in Rite-Aid during the Christmas holidays and I noticed they had a sale on certain food items, including bagged dried beans, so I bought a bunch to add to the holiday food donation box in my department at work.

I'm really surprised they're hard or impossible to find where you are. Cassoulet isn't usually vegetarian (although it can be), but it's a traditional French dish with many variations, and I would have thought pintos would be used sometimes.

Would it be possible for you to grow your own pintos? I've been trying various types of beans out here in upstate New York, and so far, I seem to have the best luck with black beans and blackeyed peas- the blackeyed peas don't produce that much, but all the critters that usually savage my other beans are evidently afraid of blackeyes. I think I've had some pintos grow, too- but unfortunately, garbanzos don't do well here.