Man convicted of animal cruelty for throwing homeless mans pet rabbit in river

Calliegirl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I remember when this story first came out, it was so sad. There was a picture of the man sitting on the bridge with his pet rabbit. I didn't know they had caught the guy who did it.

The guy who took the rabbit has 138 convictions and is only 20 years old. How is that even possible?

A youth has been sentenced to four months’ detention for throwing a homeless man’s rabbit into a river.
The animal’s owner, John Byrne, had been begging on Dublin’s O’Connell Bridge when his pet Barney was snatched from his arms and thrown into the River Liffey.
The 37-year-old risked his life by jumping in after his beloved pet and giving him the kiss of life before both were rescued by firefighters.
Gary Kearney pleaded guilty at Dublin District Court to animal cruelty and torture.
The 20-year-old, who is originally from Crumlin, also admitted breach of the peace during the incident on July 3 2011.
Sentencing Kearney, Judge Bryan Smyth said it was a serious matter.
Outside the court, Mr Byrne, who has been living on the streets for 23 years, said he was in shock when he saw his pet swimming around in circles, looking up at him.
“I wasn’t going to leave him there,” he said.
“I had to get him, I had to jump in to get him. Barney died in my arms. I got him under the bridge and gave him the kiss of life.”
Within days he was given a Compassionate Citizen Award for going above and beyond the call of duty to help an animal in need...
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/world-news/man-locked-up-for-throwing-homeless-353569

I read about this the other day. It is a horrible story. Poor rabbit and poor man. :(

It disgusts me that there are so many violent and hateful acts perpetrated against homeless people in general as they are some of the most vulnerable people in society.

What is the 'kiss of life'? Is that meaning mouth to mouth? I'm so glad Barney lived. What a sweet bunny and a sweet man who cares for him.

Kinda teared up.. So glad it had a good ending! :smitten:
I hope Mr. Bryne gets so many donations! He sounds like a tremendous person!

Reactions: shyvas