May Health Challenge (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who takes thyroid hormone supplement (Synthroid) because of an underactive thyroid, I can tell you that the hormone supplements are very slow acting. When I had to get my first nuclear medicine thyroid scan, I was already taking Synthroid. I had to go off it and stay off it for four weeks before I could get the scan, to avoid results that might be affected by the Synthroid. So if you start taking it, wait a few weeks to see how you respond to it, and then let your doctor know. It could be that the dose needs to be adjusted.

Reactions: KLS52
I slept pretty decent last night. I didn’t have my Fitbit on as it was charging but I’m pretty sure I got close to 7 hours.

I did my two mile walk this morning and shaved off two whole minutes per mile.

Reactions: Katrina
Finally my efforts are starting to pay off! The needle on the scale moved in the right direction (although its really digital :p).

We are, however, having a "throw all caution to the wind" kind of day, as E heads out of town tomorrow morning for most of the week in Dallas - back late Thursday. He'll miss Mother's Day and my birthday, so we're making up for it today. He's gone to fetch our favorite ginormous breakfast biscuits and then we're having dinner with my parents this evening, so this will be a major splurge day. :)

Anyone have a cheapo fitbit style tracker? I'd like one with the heartbeat feature and ability to sync, under $30

I can't believe how much I'm feeling keeping wfpb-no oil no sugar. My endurance has increased, I can do more cardio and longer, my allergies are almost non existent! My asthma well controlled, usually this time of year I'm using my rescue inhalor, albuterol, daily-really good because it's not cheap :rolleyes:

This is pretty amazing- Vegetables Rate by Nitrate | NutritionFacts.org

I've been eating a lot of beets. I can find them by the bunch organic for $2.99 and the 'bunch' isn't by weight but seems pretty random. Some are 4 really small, others 3 really large-with a big weight difference.The 3 huge ones are obviously a lot more. For whatever reason the biggest bunches are usually the red beets. I got lucky last time with golden. I can't stand the magenta pee and poop! Why people add beets to burgers and seitan to make them look look poop I just don't know :eek:

^ I would also like to know of a good, budget-friendly fitness tracker. I need a new watch anyway, and I think it would make more sense for me to get a basic fitness tracker. The stores in this town don't exactly have a huge selection... I'll have to order online.

Also, does anyone know of good, inexpensive wireless headphones?

I was doing pretty well with my diet until last night when I ate a bunch of leftover icing. Oh well. I think it's OK to splurge every now and then. My main goal right now is to have a regular sleep/eat schedule. And I'll continue to bike 2-3 times a week. The weather is sunny today, so I may go out for a walk or jog.

^ I would also like to know of a good, budget-friendly fitness tracker. I need a new watch anyway, and I think it would make more sense for me to get a basic fitness tracker. The stores in this town don't exactly have a huge selection... I'll have to order online.

Also, does anyone know of good, inexpensive wireless headphones?

I was doing pretty well with my diet until last night when I ate a bunch of leftover icing. Oh well. I think it's OK to splurge every now and then. My main goal right now is to have a regular sleep/eat schedule. And I'll continue to bike 2-3 times a week. The weather is sunny today, so I may go out for a walk or jog.
I got these and the sound is very good! Battery charge seems to last a long time. I can wear them most of an 8 hour day before charging- I have no idea how long they'd go! They're very comfortable and I can use them to talk on phone just great

Reactions: Val
Yes, I like walking listening to music as it helps clear my mind.:)

I just didn't realise that high intensity exercises burn calories so much, I read that you can burn more calories doing 5 minutes of that than you would if you did 60 minutes of cardio!

Why didn't anyone tell me this before? :D I'm fairly lazy and would much prefer to do the minimum exercise I can.

Haha. I'm going to try out a HIIT exercise I found on YouTube tomorrow.
I've heard that about high-intensity exercise as well. When I do the Leslie Sansone videos, I will up the intensity by jogging in place or hopping or whatever at various intervals. I do that when I walk sometimes as well, jog just a bit. I really miss running regularly, though. It bothers my right thigh for some reason if I do more than a few minutes anymore. So I walk as fast as I can and jog a bit here and there.

I thought I was the only one on here without a fitbit.:D I keep thinking about getting one too.

:fp: I'm so out of shape....
I thought "hey I'll take my bike to the park..."
I fussed around trying to get what I thought was a quick release front tire off so I could put it in my hatchback easier. Well, I got it off the forks, but couldn't get it off because it was caught on the front brakes, then I had a terrible time wrangling it back after playing with the brakes and not getting anywhere....
So I tried putting the front seat down, but it wouldn't go down far enough and the bike wouldn't fit...
So I just got on it and went around the block..and had a hard time just pedaling back home. Barely 5 minutes I'd think:oops:
I thought I was getting better with doing squats and walking...not nearly enough

I'm keeping my nasty COPD somewhat under control these days. F*** COPD.:cool:
I realize that it must be more dry weather that has calmed it down for a while, but i don't forget to take my gross "magic potion" (sometimes i omit amla and take only curcumin with ground pepper). I'm running out of amla, and i have certain issues with buying it: not because of money (i think i still can find money for amla if it's urgent), but because of those stinky aromatic sticks they burn in Indian shops where amla is usually sold!:hurl: I really hate that smell.:yuck: I can't afford delivery service, so i'm browsing all ethnic SPb shops for amla. It looks like i have found a couple. I'll try to call them when i get my wages, which won't be soon.:sheep:
Plus, i noticed that capsaicin also reduces COPD symptoms. It's not so helpful against polyneuropathic pain (i suspect, one needs to eat cayenne peppers for breakfast, dinner and supper to feel a relief), but it helps my poor digestion a lot, and it also decreases the symptoms of COPD.:yes:

I’m going to skip my walk today for no good reason.

Reactions: PTree15
Well I thought there would be a lot of hard work to do after baby, but things arent looking so bad! I put on 3 stone ilduring pregnancy but weighed myself today at 12 days post partum & am down 2.5 already - so I'll give it a few weeks to see if any more comes off & then will try to shift the rest :)

I've been eating lots of desserts lately. First the icing incident I mentioned already. Then the next night, my father came home with bumbleberry pie (my favourite!!) so I had to have some. Then a night (or two?) later was Mother's Day, and the restaurant had an all-you-can-eat dessert bar. You can guess how that went. Then last night I ate a box of chocolates someone had gifted me.....

I haven't been biking this week either, because of the stupid rain. However, I DID get in a good workout doing yard work. We have a big pile of soil that needs to go up the hill into the new garden area. I spent a good hour (or more?) putting down cardboard, adding piles of leaves, and carrying up soil. I pushed up the wheelbarrow a couple of times before I got tired. I'll have to do just a bit every day. The terrain is so rocky that I'm worried I'll tip the wheelbarrow over and spill everything.

I got these and the sound is very good! Battery charge seems to last a long time. I can wear them most of an 8 hour day before charging- I have no idea how long they'd go! They're very comfortable and I can use them to talk on phone just great
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll check it out soon. Gonna make my purchase this weekend :D

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
I've been eating lots of desserts lately. First the icing incident I mentioned already. Then the next night, my father came home with bumbleberry pie (my favourite!!) so I had to have some. Then a night (or two?) later was Mother's Day, and the restaurant had an all-you-can-eat dessert bar. You can guess how that went. Then last night I ate a box of chocolates someone had gifted me.....

I haven't been biking this week either, because of the stupid rain. However, I DID get in a good workout doing yard work. We have a big pile of soil that needs to go up the hill into the new garden area. I spent a good hour (or more?) putting down cardboard, adding piles of leaves, and carrying up soil. I pushed up the wheelbarrow a couple of times before I got tired. I'll have to do just a bit every day. The terrain is so rocky that I'm worried I'll tip the wheelbarrow over and spill everything.

Oh yes. My absolute favourite followed by cherry and apple.:lick:

I had to look up, “what is a bumbleberry” :lol:

I would definitely like bumbleberry pie. :yes:

Reactions: Katrina and Val
I've never taken before pictures (I really just don't take any pictures!) but I do have clothes from through the years to compare my weight to. I brought up some clothes I had put away and got so happy a pair of shorts from years ago fit perfectly! I remember putting them on last summer and they were tight everywhere! I actually got them when I gained weight. :oops:
Now I need to kick my butt out the door every day and walk! I also need to remember which streets don't continue in sidewalks:confused:. Yesterday I got sidetracked by graduation parties with car lined streets

Reactions: Val
An unintentional workout happened yesterday when I helped my friend and her husband move. They ended up having less help than expected, so that meant extra work for us. Sooo many heavy boxes of books, and so many large pieces of furniture!! And we had to walk up a slight incline to get them into the new place. My upper back is really sore today.

Status
Not open for further replies.