Advertisement

Meowwwwwww....

Discussion in 'General' started by Genter, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Genter

Genter New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone, does anyone have any recommendations for Vegan catfood - both the "wet" and "dry" varieties?

2. StrangeOtter
    No Mood

StrangeOtter Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Hi.
    If you have an indoor cat, dry food can cause urinary tract problems, because indoor cats urinate less compared to an outdoor cat that is overall more active, for example with hunting and exploring territory. Cats naturally have most of their liquids from consumed food, like from mouse. An elderly cat especially needs liquids through food and I'd even add little bit of water into the wet cat food while having multiple litter boxes around the house kept clean at all times.

I really don't know anything about vegan cat food. UnnaturalVegan from YouTube has some content on cats and their diets on her site. I'd also recommend reading a book about cats that teaches how to take care of their needs with precision (I can't recommend any because I don't know any written in english) and watching Jackson Galaxys My Cat From Hell.

I don't know if this helps any. I just love talking about cats and I have read everything I could get my hands on about them. I also have experience from taking care of an diabetic elderly cat.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  3. Genter

Genter New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for that. He is an outdoor cat and I've tried him on some Vegan Cat food (from a tin) and he was less than keen!
    Thanks for the feedback and links. If anyone has any other recommendations please let me know - at the moment he's getting fish based food and I'm struggling with the concept!

4. StrangeOtter
    No Mood

StrangeOtter Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I hope that you get the knowledge and help that you need. Helpful Vancouver Vet makes awesome videos about taking care of cats. You could also ask from your veterinarian about vegan cat food. Vets don't actually get education on nutrition and they only recommend scientifically proven diets from Royal Canin or Hill's Veterinary Diet when the pet gets sick, but some vets might have studied the subject on their own.

How have you introduced the new food to your cat? Have you mixed it up little by little with the old food? Usually it takes some weeks or a month to gradually change to the new food.

I'm kind of suspicious that vegan cat food could be harmful because Jackson Galaxy, who has more knowledge of cats than any other mortal on this planet, has promoted feeding cats with their natural food, like meat and organs with proper supplementation, or atleast wet cat food that has good quality meat in it. But in reality, I don't know so I can't say, I haven't studied this enough. It just seems to me that vegan diets for cats are still experimental and should be proceeded with caution. I'm sure you make the decision that is best for your cat and take him to the vet atleast two times a year and also when anything comes up.

I also love the fact that you have an outdoor cat so he has already some fresh meat to hunt and good exercise. Well, some cats also go around the neighborhood asking for food from familiar humans, even after they have been well fed at home. Some cats steal dog food and some even chocolate from their care takers cabinets. Damage from bad diet build up over time, even if there isn't much noticeable symptoms like vomiting or diarrhea.

I re-watched the video from Unnatural Vegan about feeding vegan diet to cats. She had found some interesting information:
    "Cats on a vegan diet can develop abnormally alkaline (high pH) urine due to the more alkaline pH of plant based proteins in comparison to the acidic pH of meat-based foods which cats have evolved to eat."
    Can My Cat Be Healthy On a Vegan Diet - Armaiti May (Veganhealth.com)
    Alkaline urine can cause struvite bladder crystals or stones. This can be especially dangerous to the male cats because of their anatomy they can get an obstruction of the urethra so the cat cannot urinate. The condition causes severe pain and if not immediately treated is lethal.
    But I can understand why you would be uncomfortable buying meat based food for your cat. Maybe if you want to reduce the amount of meat in his diet you could feed him some vegan cat food -still mostly giving him the meat based while monitoring his urinary pH with the assistance of a vet.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018