"Mindless Chatter" threads

Pickle Juice

Reaction score
Our Mindless Chatter thread is moving right along. I know that at VB they always locked them after 5000 posts. What do people think about that? Does it make any difference, having one humongous one that goes on and on, or locking them after 5000 posts and starting new ones? Thoughts?

If new ones are started, it might be nice to have links to the previous ones in the OP.
That's just how I've seen threads done at other forums, but those were mostly photo threads.

I think if there are no software issues with one humongous thread, then we should just let it grow and grow.

At the same time, threads are more easily searchable in smaller chunks I suppose. Leaving a link to the former thread in the OP is a good idea. :)

Torn on this. Sometimes starting a new thread leads to inviting more people into the discussion - I know that's why I haven't gotten involved, because 190-someodd pages is a bit overwhelming - and long threads can be a strain on servers. But it'd still be kind-of cool to have one gigantic thread.

If we do open new threads after a certain post count I vote NO USER NAMING...because we'll just end up with a load of silly names that some people wont want to post in. A simple 'chatter thread' title is all thats needed.

When i first joined VB, I didnt join in the **** thread because I had no idea what it was. Chatter is obvious.

When I first joined VB I didn't join the **** thread because I thought it was for people who got laid a lot to discuss getting laid a lot.

If we do open new threads after a certain post count I vote NO USER NAMING...because we'll just end up with a load of silly names that some people wont want to post in. A simple 'chatter thread' title is all thats needed.

When i first joined VB, I didnt join in the **** thread because I had no idea what it was. Chatter is obvious.

Agreed. "Mindless Chatter" is a descriptive title that explains exactly what the thread is. A user named one only causes confusion and possible disinterest.

Reactions: RabbitLuvr
I'm hesitant to do stuff just because VB does it. How many posts can a thread have before it starts causing problems on this software?
That's what I don't know. If it makes no difference, I don't see the point in having them get closed just to make another. The number of posts would be the same, so I am not sure why a few long threads would burden the software more than ten times as many short threads.

I think it would be nice just to keep the one thread. Maybe edit the title to "Mindless Chatter thread. Come join us!" or something like that to try to encourage the people who get put off by the high post count?

Reactions: thefadedone
Yeah it's fine if you guys want to choose another title. I've seen titles like "The So-and-so Cafe" that are intended to give the impression of a casual thread to sit down and gab in for anyone who feels like it.

Maybe on the 1st of every month we start a new one. It gives newbies a chance to join in without a lot of backreading. It could be Mindless Chatter: June Thread or whatever we decide?

Our Mindless Chatter thread is moving right along. I know that at VB they always locked them after 5000 posts. What do people think about that? Does it make any difference, having one humongous one that goes on and on, or locking them after 5000 posts and starting new ones? Thoughts?
Popular message boards regularly delete old threads to keep the database efficient. If a thread is continuously posted to, it never becomes old enough to delete. This can be a problem for chat threads because they contain so many posts that they can bog down the database. This is why VB locks threads after 5000 posts, to give those posts a chance to die so they don't stay around forever and muck up the database :)

Popular message boards regularly delete old threads to keep the database efficient. If a thread is continuously posted to, it never becomes old enough to delete. This can be a problem for chat threads because they contain so many posts that they can bog down the database. This is why VB locks threads after 5000 posts, to give those posts a chance to die so they don't stay around forever and muck up the database :)

I'm not sure about that - all of the boards I'm on have threads since the forum first opened, they don't routinely delete anything. I understood that it was a problem with vBulletin where threads would start causing problems if over 5,000 posts no matter how old they were. It wasn't anything about wanting to delete them.