TV & Film Movie Lounge

Hi IS, have you watched any of the other Studio Ghibli films yet?

If you need tips and suggestions, let me know, we have watched all of them many times over :)
No, we haven't watched anything else by them. Are there other movies in the same style? Do you have any recommendations?

The most famous one is likely “Spirited away”, as it won the oscar, but that is maybe for ages 10-12 and up. Same for “Howl’s Moving castle”, “Castle in the Sky” and “The Cat Returns”. “Princess Mononoke” and “Nausicaa” are for even older kids/teenagers IMO.

Great for smaller kids are “Arrietty”, “Porco Rosso, “Kiki’s delivery service”, “Ponyo” and “Pom Poko”.

“Grave of the Fireflies” I do not suggest to anybody, it is one of the saddest movies I have seen so far.

I just realize there are some I have not seen so far, that is an oversight that needs to be remedied :)

I would say that “Totoro” has a very special style, with possibly “Arrietty” being closest to that, but all are worth watching IMO.

They showed us Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri tonight. I loved all the strong performances and how one of the characters redeemed himself by the end, but it has an inconclusive ending, and I guess I’m one of those who are dissatisfied with inconclusive endings. I want a happy ending, dammit! :p

Reactions: Val
They showed us Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri tonight. I loved all the strong performances and how one of the characters redeemed himself by the end, but it has an inconclusive ending, and I guess I’m one of those who are dissatisfied with inconclusive endings. I want a happy ending, dammit! :p
I rented it a while back, really liked it. :up:
And I'm quite a fan of endings that are "open-ended" or mysterious & abrupt (if done well), the ones that make me go :argh::weird::woo::clp:

After tonight's movie, I'd like to take full advantage of my half-off status at Family Video (prequel & sequels are a racket there, $2-$2.50 per, for just one or two nights).... My aim is to watch every Marvel Avengers universe film, in order (of events). :D

I won't bother with TV series or One-Shots, but here's a complete list anyhoo (plus future projects)....

Iron Man (2008)

The Incredible Hulk (2008)

Iron Man 2 (2010)

Marvel One-Shot: The Consultant (2011 Video)

Marvel One-Shot: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor’s Hammer (2011 Video)

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

Thor (2011)

The Avengers (2012)

Marvel One-Shot: Item 47 (2012 Video)

Iron Man 3 (2013)

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (2013 TV Series)

Thor: The Dark World (2013)

Marvel One-Shot: Agent Carter (2013 Video)

Marvel One-Shot: All Hail the King (2014 Short Film)

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

Daredevil (2015 TV Series)

Agent Carter (2015 TV Series)

Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)

Ant-Man (2015)

Captain America: Civil War (2016)

Doctor Strange (2016)

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (2017)

Spiderman: Homecoming (2017)

Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

Black Panther (2018)

Avengers: Infinity War – Part I (2018)

Deadpool 2 (May 18, 2018)

Ant-Man and the Wasp (July 6, 2018)

Venom (Oct. 5, 2018)

Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse (Dec. 14, 2018)

Silver and Black (Feb. 8, 2019)

Dark Phoenix (Feb. 14, 2019)

Captain Marvel (March 8, 2019)

Avengers 4 – Infinity Wars Part II (May 3, 2019)

Gambit (June 7, 2019)

Spider-Man: Homecoming 2 (July 5, 2019)

The New Mutants (Aug. 2, 2019)

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (2020)

Black Panther 2 (TBD)

Black Widow Movie (TBD)

Doctor Strange 2 (TBD)

Logan Spinoff (TBD)

Good thing is, Jerry owns several of those already. :up:

Watching all the X-men universe films "in order" might be a tad more complicated because of the wacky timelines.... :dizzy: LOL

Last edited:
I think I need to take a break from my Avengers adventure. Next up would be Spiderman: Homecoming, which I recently borrowed from Jerry... then Thor: Ragnarok, which I rented recently for a second time (seen it four times now).... So, yeah, now's a good point to hit "pause".... ;)

Family Video was having another sale... big table full of movies, 2 for $3... I bought Contagion (rented it in the last couple years... excellent & f*cking terrifying), and Old Boy (never seen it before).... So I have stuff to watch. ;)

But I feel like I should keep renting sh*t while I have my half-off status. I was planning to watch the Bourne series again....o_O

Reactions: Val