My 50 year old daughter-Transitioning to PB Diet

LoreD

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
My daughter was raised plant based, but starting eating meat as an adult. She had been doing the grass fed meat until she decided to try plant based for a month.

She said the way her body felt after a month of plant based made her decision easier. But she decided to watch some videos of the way animals are treated, and the parasites in animal products. That really put her off animal products.

The process is ongoing. She was keeping her dairy coffee creamer, until I introduced her to plant based caramel coffee creamer. We went to a vintage diner, introduced her to black bean burgers, and made a homemade batch for her to take home.

The biggest issue with a new plant based person is expanding the diet beyond impossible burgers and salads. People tend to fall back into old eating habits unless they are shown more than processed vegan food.

The biggest issue with a new plant based person is expanding the diet beyond impossible burgers and salads. People tend to fall back into old eating habits unless they are shown more than processed vegan food.
I don't think that's true across the board. I began pretty much all WFPB, I shunned anything that resembled meat, & vegan cheese. I felt great, but after several months I truly wanted more of what I left behind. I remember getting Morningstar riblets, having on a big sub bun--I was so happy!
I sometimes wonder if I'd have stayed vegan if I didn't bring on more junkier foods. It's not as if my diet was all unprocessed as an omni, and even after so long, losing weight, feeling great, I still wanted those foods.
I'm 100% onboard with WFPB no sugar, no salt--but--that's a sub set of vegan, and not everyone goes vegan for health.

I don't think that's true across the board. I began pretty much all WFPB, I shunned anything that resembled meat, & vegan cheese. I felt great, but after several months I truly wanted more of what I left behind. I remember getting Morningstar riblets, having on a big sub bun--I was so happy!
I sometimes wonder if I'd have stayed vegan if I didn't bring on more junkier foods. It's not as if my diet was all unprocessed as an omni, and even after so long, losing weight, feeling great, I still wanted those foods.
I'm 100% onboard with WFPB no sugar, no salt--but--that's a sub set of vegan, and not everyone goes vegan for health.

Actually, the initial reason was her health, which is why I have been working on expanding her knowledge of beans, and just general cooking.

And yes, we all love some junk food as a treat, but there is a lot of healthy vegan food beyond faux burgers and chick'n nuggets.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Actually, the initial reason was her health, which is why I have been working on expanding her knowledge of beans, and just general cooking.

And yes, we all love some junk food as a treat, but there is a lot of healthy vegan food beyond faux burgers and chick'n nuggets.
There are a lot of healthy omni foods beyond burgers and chicken nuggets. :rolleyes:
What I balk at is your assertion that "People tend to fall back into old eating habits unless they are shown more than processed vegan food."
Omnis already eat what vegans eat for the most part. Unless she was avoiding produce I don't see how she wouldn't know plant foods beyond vegan processed food.
It's simply my experience that people already know how to eat plant based, but unless they already eat an unprocessed omni diet they're gonna want their snacks, burgers and fries!

• Disagree
Reactions: Lou and 1956
There are a lot of healthy omni foods beyond burgers and chicken nuggets. :rolleyes:
What I balk at is your assertion that "People tend to fall back into old eating habits unless they are shown more than processed vegan food."
Omnis already eat what vegans eat for the most part. Unless she was avoiding produce I don't see how she wouldn't know plant foods beyond vegan processed food.
It's simply my experience that people already know how to eat plant based, but unless they already eat an unprocessed omni diet they're gonna want their snacks, burgers and fries!

Yes, the vegetables were fine. Finding the proteins is usually the issue for new vegans. Looking at a package of tofu or seitan, and saying, "What do I do with that?". Not knowing that a can of beans has a lot uses.

It is difficult for new vegans to make a lot of changes outside of the packaged processed vegan frozen section. Usually they need a little help.

Yes, the vegetables were fine. Finding the proteins is usually the issue for new vegans. Looking at a package of tofu or seitan, and saying, "What do I do with that?". Not knowing that a can of beans has a lot uses.

It is difficult for new vegans to make a lot of changes outside of the packaged processed vegan frozen section. Usually they need a little help.
Huh. I can only think of people who start veg'nism with beans, lentils, tofu, nuts and stuff. They're always excited to discover things like Beyond.
Only problem I get from people is missing meat or cheese, or eggs, and that's where the processed foods come in

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: Lou and 1956
If she were raised plant based how old when she reverted?

As a teenager. We lived in a meat and dairy state. There was a lot of peer pressure not to be "weird". I didn't serve animal products at home, but I couldn't fight ridicule from her classmates.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15
I think this is a big reason I'm so happy to hear 'flexitarian'. The only problem for most is simply adapting to not using animals. I love to talk food and always say why not try ...instead. People just aren't used to not using meat or cheese or eggs, and often dislike many of the typical veg foods.
I personally dislike most veg restaurants because I don't like bean burgers, avocado or chickpeas. Omnis are used to getting around foods they don't like

From my own experience salads are underrated and underutilized. I think it was Dr. Fuhrman who introduced to me to the idea of the Big Salad. I've always been a big fan of what we call meal prep: making most of your meals in advance. But I never took it to salads until I had it explained to me. Now I almost never make salads one at time. There is a little bit of learning curve and you might need some new kitchen stuff but you will eat a lot more salads (and a lot less takeout) if there is a salad waiting for you in the frig. by making the big salad it can have a lot more ingredients (don't forget to include beans, seeds, and nuts) A healthy tasty salad dressing makes such a difference. A lot of easy salad dressings recipes online (or in those cookbooks). Salads at home can be a huge money saver too.

Youtube has some good videos on the Big Salad concept. Look on Fuhrman's Chanel or check out Garbanzo girl, and Chanty Marie.

Actually, the initial reason was her health,
For her birthday you should get her the Eat To Live Cookbook or the Forks Over Knives Cookbook.
And maybe the book Eat To Live or How Not To Die Books.

Finding the proteins is usually the issue for new vegans.
This a prevalent and persistent myth. Protein Should Not be an issue. If you eat enough calories you eat enough protein.
Looking at a package of tofu or seitan, and saying, "What do I do with that?". Not knowing that a can of beans has a lot uses.
Yes. that is why you need to need a cookbook. Some people don't know how to cook. or they don't think they have the time. Or they don't want to make an effort. But once you learn how - home cooking is healthier and cheaper and in many cases more time efficient and delicious.
there are so many simple things that a new vegan can make. Just google "Simple easy quick vegan meals" or check out the cheap lazy vegan YouTube channel. Your daughter might be best off subscribing to a vegan, vegetarian, or WFPB magazine ( Forks Over Knives is a good one). You might also suggest to her to subscribe to a few E-newsletters. Cheap Lazy has one and I also like It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken.

Cookbooks, magazines, newsletters also provide inspiration and incentives.
I've always been a big fan of meal planning and meal prep . sitting down for a half hour to meal plan and make a grocery list may take half hour but in the long run it saves time and money. One of my favorite things is when meal planning is to include a new recipe. Those newsletter are great for that. Just pick one from the last issue.

https://www.youtube.com/@Itdoesnttastelikechicken

I like my salad in my soup.... kale, spinach, arugula and all other greens, I prefer in pasta or soup etc - the other salad ingredients I prefer dipping in hummus or tofu onion dip.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

From my own experience salads are underrated and underutilized. I think it was Dr. Fuhrman who introduced to me to the idea of the Big Salad. I've always been a big fan of what we call meal prep: making most of your meals in advance. But I never took it to salads until I had it explained to me. Now I almost never make salads one at time. There is a little bit of learning curve and you might need some new kitchen stuff but you will eat a lot more salads (and a lot less takeout) if there is a salad waiting for you in the frig. by making the big salad it can have a lot more ingredients (don't forget to include beans, seeds, and nuts) A healthy tasty salad dressing makes such a difference. A lot of easy salad dressings recipes online (or in those cookbooks). Salads at home can be a huge money saver too.

Youtube has some good videos on the Big Salad concept. Look on Fuhrman's Chanel or check out Garbanzo girl, and Chanty Marie.

For her birthday you should get her the Eat To Live Cookbook or the Forks Over Knives Cookbook.
And maybe the book Eat To Live or How Not To Die Books.

This a prevalent and persistent myth. Protein Should Not be an issue. If you eat enough calories you eat enough protein.

Yes. that is why you need to need a cookbook. Some people don't know how to cook. or they don't think they have the time. Or they don't want to make an effort. But once you learn how - home cooking is healthier and cheaper and in many cases more time efficient and delicious.

there are so many simple things that a new vegan can make. Just google "Simple easy quick vegan meals" or check out the cheap lazy vegan YouTube channel. Your daughter might be best off subscribing to a vegan, vegetarian, or WFPB magazine ( Forks Over Knives is a good one). You might also suggest to her to subscribe to a few E-newsletters. Cheap Lazy has one and I also like It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken.

Cookbooks, magazines, newsletters also provide inspiration and incentives.
I've always been a big fan of meal planning and meal prep . sitting down for a half hour to meal plan and make a grocery list may take half hour but in the long run it saves time and money. One of my favorite things is when meal planning is to include a new recipe. Those newsletter are great for that. Just pick one from the last issue.

It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken

By "finding the proteins", I meant learning how to use the proteins. Tofu, tempeh, TVP, soy curls, etc, have a learning curve. Even discovering that beans can replace animal proteins in just about any soup or casserole.

Regarding salads. She was eating lots of salads. She just wanted to add more. Just teaching her that blended white beans make a great "cream" vegetable soup. The little tricks and tips that an experienced vegan can pass on to a newbie.

The cookbooks are fine. She can pick up a few from my extensive, and ever growing, supply of vegan cookbooks. The important part is being a mentor, which can help a newbie take the shortcuts to success.

I watched a video of a woman who was trying to do a 30 day challenge. She went to the store and bought every ultra processed item that had vegan written on it. 24 hours later she was ready to quit and asked how people could eat this awful stuff.

She asked her vegan followers for favorite suggestions, and they sent her recipes to follow. She was ecstatic at discovering "nooch". She successfully finished her month, and while she didn't go completely vegan; she said that she was going to drastically reduce her consumption of animal products.

Sometimes the difference between success and failure is those little tips that help the new vegan expand their repertoire.

Reactions: Lou
I do remember about the first six months of going vegan felt off, like I had to think about what I wanted, or how to make it, and for me, too many how-to-vegan tips were not helpful! Everyone has different tastes whatever their diet. I was raised with so many soups that didn't need animal anything, and beans were a staple, so I didn't have any digestive issues like some
To this day I'm just as likely to look at regular recipes and switch things myself because so many plant based recipes seem to change things that don't need changing! I dislike so many of the touted vegan things, like chickpea things, avocado, frozen tofu, and the majority of things to make mac & cheese! Oh, and putting sprouts on sandwiches, winter squashes, and roasting brussel sprouts, and esp saying I won't taste the banana in nice cream or coconut milk in things....and bean burgers and lentil loaves, like all the ingredients are good, but I hate them put together that way!
Sorry for the rant, but it just feels like eating vegan gets such a bad rap when it's just not eating animals. I'm pretty sure I have more variety in my diet now then before. Just tired of 'veganism' being seen as so limited, or having to be so strictly watched. Learn nutrition, same as for any diet

Last edited: