Newbie to vegan

Amethyst86

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi guys I'm new to the vegan life. I chose to be a vegan because of health issues. It's going to be a little tough for me because I don't have my support. My fiance said he will only support me for the short time because he thinks if I do it for the long term it will cause more issues. I really want this to work.

Welcome to the forum, Amethyst!

It will work...think positively! It is the smartest diet for human beings. There is lots of science to support this now. You're going to have to really make an effort to educate yourself on this new lifestyle though. It doesn't have to all come overnight.

First, educate yourself with learning how to cook delicious vegan foods. The biggest myth of all is that vegan food tastes horrible. Youtube has a wealth of information on veganism, and recipes. Maybe splurge on a couple new cookbooks, if it's within your budget. Don't be afraid to try new things. I've really expanded my own culinary repertoire this very way.

Another thing I would recommend is watching some inspiring documentaries about veganism to keep you motivated. I've watched all the popular ones like Forks Over Knives, Eating You Alive, What The Health, Cowspiracy, and many more, many times. I am not sure if I wanted to watch them again to educate myself in presenting my own arguments with friends and family, or if it was simply to just motivate me. I actually thought it would be harder, but I don't miss animal products at all. In fact I find the thought of of eating them now quite repulsive.

All in all, just try to stay motivated, and keep educating yourself on the facts, the science, and how to make your new foods taste better and better. Youtube is your friend here.

You will succeed, Amethyst. I believe in you! Keep us updated here. It's not the busiest forum on the Internet, but the people are friendly, and most often willing to help and/or encourage.

Before I decided to go vegan I was a light vegetarian I only ate fish, eggs and cheese and I did that for about 3 years. it's funny on Valentine's Day I decided to go all in to be a vegan and because I was spending Valentine's alone fiance was a way I made myself a good healthy vegan dinner got the from Forks Over Knives. I'm also keeping a food journal on what I eat.

I also threw out some dairy products that I had which were yogurt salad dressing and some dark chocolate that had milk product in it.

I'm'm go see my doctor next week and I'm going to have them run blood tests and then redo them in about 2 to 3 months.

Reactions: Veganite
It sounds like you are going about things the right way. A lot of doctors, however, do not support plant-based living, so just be aware of any bias on their part. Luckily I have a wonderful open minded doctor.

I've had all my blood work done as well. I wanted to see where I was at when I started, so I could compare results later on down the road. I also wanted to check my thyroid, blood sugar, etc, before making such a huge diet change.

As far as dairy goes...from everything I've read and heard about dairy, you are far better off throwing that stuff out anyways. It's not only addictive, but it is counterproductive to bone health...not to mention the carcinogen in casein protein.

For me, personally, going without all those animal products I used to consume was the easy part for me. The hardest part for me was learning to cook new foods that taste good. I was so used to many things being really fast and convenient. Vegan food can be just as fast and convenient. I'm still learning, myself, how to make it that way though. I am getting better. It has taken a bit of time though.

I believ your fiance is supportive, but is concerned for your health. I am wondering if perhaps it is out of a lack of education on the subject. Perhaps sit down and watch Fork Over Knives with him. It's not like a plant-based diet falls deficient on nutrition. Well, it can, but I think only if you're either really really picky, and selectively only eat certain things, or if you just don't educate yourself on how to live this way.

Just take your time with this transition. I've heard of people throwing everything out in one go, and making the transition overnight, basically. I think some people just have to do it that way. I personally made my transition rather quickly, but there are no rules set in stone. Go at your own pace, and stay determined and motivated.

Do not mention to your Dr that you are now Vegan...it confuses them..they think it is a diet! Get the blood work and watch how surprised your Dr is when he sees the results! Eat all Colours of fruit and veg and get a daily vitamin B12 intake. Drink plenty of water to help flush the toxins.
Throwing out all the food in your frig and pantry is a great start (give it to a neighbor).When you see what is left in the frig it will shock you! But after your grocey shop you may think you will need a larger refrigerator.