Non dairy "dairy" foods. Your favourites!

yeh, I like Vitalite too. I wake up in the morning wanting some breakfast, and I think, what am I gonna spread on my toast.....Vitalite!

For cheese it has to be Vegusto and Daiya for me. I reckon they're by far the best of the bunch. I don't get to eat either often enough though, cause Vegusto is prohibitively expensive, and Daiya isn't available here. I usually end up using Cheezly cause it's easily available and reasonably cheap. It's just ok though.

I have FINALLY found some CoYo http://www.coyo.co.uk/ yogurts near me. A real fortune at £2 a pot, or £1.80 with student discount at my local HF shop. But I bought them anyway.

I'm vegan and allergic to soya yogurt, and I really liked yogurt, so this is a big thing for me. I used to buy "wot no dairy" yogurts but the H&B in my area has stopped selling them.Anyway the coyo yogurts were LOADS nicer, thick, tangy and coconutty. Much more like what I remember luxery yogurts to be like, whereas the "wot no dairy" ones tasted watery and sugary, more like cheap yogurts. Thoroughly recommend, especially if you can find them cheaper than I did. :)

As for drinks, I drink the fresh Alpro Almond milk, if I can't get that I like the RiceDream rice milk. The Almond milk is the only non-dairy-non-soya milk I've found that tastes nice in coffee, which is a big bonus, and it's creamier texture is better for baking too.

Being allergic to soya milk/yogurt is the worst when it comes to dairy-free alternatives. Apart from margarine and soya milk usually I don't consume any because there are few about, and I'm not fond of vegan cheese. I can eat soya icecream though (nobody knows why...) and I like Swedish glace.

I have FINALLY found some CoYo http://www.coyo.co.uk/ yogurts near me. A real fortune at £2 a pot, or £1.80 with student discount at my local HF shop. But I bought them anyway.

I'm vegan and allergic to soya yogurt, and I really liked yogurt, so this is a big thing for me. I used to buy "wot no dairy" yogurts but the H&B in my area has stopped selling them.Anyway the coyo yogurts were LOADS nicer, thick, tangy and coconutty. Much more like what I remember luxery yogurts to be like, whereas the "wot no dairy" ones tasted watery and sugary, more like cheap yogurts. Thoroughly recommend, especially if you can find them cheaper than I did. :)

As for drinks, I drink the fresh Alpro Almond milk, if I can't get that I like the RiceDream rice milk. The Almond milk is the only non-dairy-non-soya milk I've found that tastes nice in coffee, which is a big bonus, and it's creamier texture is better for baking too.

Being allergic to soya milk/yogurt is the worst when it comes to dairy-free alternatives. Apart from margarine and soya milk usually I don't consume any because there are few about, and I'm not fond of vegan cheese. I can eat soya icecream though (nobody knows why...) and I like Swedish glace.

There is no chance that I can ever taste it as I'm not near one of their shops. Is that £2 for one single pot ?

Is that £2 for one single pot ?

Yep. Fortune!

However that was in a health food shop that isn't on their stocklist, but order specific things in for people a lot. So I think it may have cost so much because they only ordered a handful in.

I like Alpro Almond Milk. I have seen another one advertised on telly but havent tried it yet. Almond milk is one of the few milks I can drink just plain, others I only use in cooking. The other being Kara coconut milk, but that's qute hard to find. Hazelnut is good for making porridge with but not by itself. Ive always disliked soymilk, although can tolerate alpro light as it doesnt have that aftertaste.

Ice cream its gotta be Booja Booja. Although obviously who the hell pays £8 for a tub of ice cream!? Not me. I'll buy a mini tub for £1.79 as a special treat but thats it, and omg its the nicest ice cream ever. Ive let omnis try a bit and they've agreed. When I win the lottery I'll buy the full sized tubs. But for now Swedish Glace.
And ummm Ive never eaten yoghurt. Butter I dont get the problem with Pure? I dont like the soy one as its too soy-y for me but the sunflower ones' fine. I'd be up for trying vitalie though (as long as I can sing the sunflower song while spreading it)

Also I tried a coyo and thought it was vile. maybe i got a funny flavour but ergh the texture was like, well the only way I can describe it is it was like eating creamy shortening. really thick. maybe if you like thick yoghurt itd be great but ive never been a yoghurt fan (I just like coconut). its rare i dislike food enough to not be able to finish it, but that got binned.

I like sweetened vanilla almond milk; Winn Dixie has a store brand that is very good. I like the So Delicious ice creams and treats. I would probably like the yogurt if it was more available. I can't drive 30 miles for yogurt!
I am not a huge cheese fan but the Daiya brand seems to be the best I have tried. I use Smart Balance Light spread as it is less expensive than Earth Balance and available at Winn Dixie and often on sale.

Yeah Vitalite is so good! I can lick it off the knife and not vomit like with Soya based Pure etc.
Even the omnis I know who love 'buttery' spreads like vitalite.

Whats that?
As far as vegan mayo goes...Ive only tried Tigar Tigar and it was rank.

Yeah it's a mayonnaise sub, I found it in tesco free from section. It's a bit more like a salad cream/mayo mix...more watery than mayonnaise and a little sharper tasting. But not too dissimilar to the real thing xxx

I prefer pure sunflower to vitalite.
:D We will have to agree to disagree! I think the sunflower one is even blander than the soya one. I haven't tried mayola, tiger tiger garlic mayonnaise was okay. Worked well in coleslaw with vegan salad cream and mustard, and I quite liked it on spicy bean burgers in a bun.

My favourite non-dairy dairy-like chocolates are celtic choices caramel ones I think :)

Oh non dairy chocolate

FRYS CREME BARS! nomnomnomn.

Im with you SummerRain-I thought the Pure range was like tasteless fat...very 'greasey'

Reactions: SummerRain
I miss yogurt more than anything at this point. It used to be cheese but Daiya has solved that for me.
I have tried every conceivable type of non-dairy yogurt available and didn't like any of them. If their nutritional value was better, I would eat them anyway, but it's kind of pointless for me.

I do like the Zen Soy brand chocolate pudding. It's quite yummy.
Almond Breeze is my favorite almond milk and I use Silk creamer for my coffee/tea.